Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books
 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share
 

 Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 8:26 am

I found this book...a must read for those who question...Does God Exist?


Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!



By David C. Pack



www.reg.org/Does God-Exist
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 80
Location : Germany

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am

Domenic,


I think the word “God” is the cause for misunderstandings.  Many believe that there is a power that controls the Universe.  Some call it a Universal Intelligence while others call it God.  That same word is used by other religions that translate in Islam to Allah.  They are all talking about the same power.  Then there is the problem of people believing that God is a person.  Jesus is referred to as God.  I find that a bit confusing since according to the Bible, he is referred to as the Son of God.  Other passages say that we are Children of God.  Does that make us Gods? 
To be sure, the subject is interesting and cause for contemplation as well as perplexity. 
Concerning prophesies, if I make a prediction and it comes true, does that make me a Prophet?
Actions by some followers of religion work to make prophesis come true.  If one believes that destruction will happen because it was prophesied, why should they work to prevent destruction as with the pollution of our environment?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29
Location : Florida

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 am

Along the same vein.  Often in my church people will have a work study session to talk about their book that was "channeled" from God.  Right.  So was everything I write - channeled through the talent that is born in us to find.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 80
Location : Germany

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 11:49 am

Right, DK
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Domenic,


I think the word “God” is the cause for misunderstandings.  Many believe that there is a power that controls the Universe.  Some call it a Universal Intelligence while others call it God.  That same word is used by other religions that translate in Islam to Allah.  They are all talking about the same power.  Then there is the problem of people believing that God is a person.  Jesus is referred to as God.  I find that a bit confusing since according to the Bible, he is referred to as the Son of God.  Other passages say that we are Children of God.  Does that make us Gods? 
To be sure, the subject is interesting and cause for contemplation as well as perplexity. 
Concerning prophesies, if I make a prediction and it comes true, does that make me a Prophet?
Actions by some followers of religion work to make prophesis come true.  If one believes that destruction will happen because it was prophesied, why should they work to prevent destruction as with the pollution of our environment?

The word, God is a title. There are, and have been many known as God. I believe the Greeks had 3,000 gods. There is only one true God, and he who has a name. There are also many man made gods, who men have named.
Jesus is the son of the true God, and he is also a God, but, Jesus does the will of the Father.
Yes, if one makes a prophesies, and they come true, they are a Prophet.

As to our talent, I guess you could say we get our talent from God. If we write something, is that from God...I don't think so. Some in the past have written what God told them to write...but he talked to them...does he talk to people today? no.

Can a man open the eyes of other men? no, only God can do that. God opens the eyes of those he wants...he does not open the eyes of those he does not want,
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 80
Location : Germany

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Domenic, your beliefs obviously dictate your comments about your beliefs.  I don't think there is a particular way of communicating with God. Religious philosophy often dictates how to do this and why I don't follow religion.  I believe we can communicate in thought as well as spoken words.  The answers received are not vocal.  I believe we often receive messages with dreams and with our "gut" feeling.  We know what is right or wrong by that "gut" feeling.  I touched briefly on this in my short story: "Eternal Life - Transformation" .  That story evolved from my OBE and dreams that I had. 

It is an interesting subject.  I don't believe anyone has the answer and that leads to searching for truth.  I agree with much that you say.  Where we may differ is with our source of information.  From what I read from your posts, you base your beliefs entirely on the Bible.  Having a source is good, however interpreting what we read from a source that offers conflicting stories about events coupled with translation errors does not make that source infalible.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 5:41 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Domenic, your beliefs obviously dictate your comments about your beliefs.  I don't think there is a particular way of communicating with God. Religious philosophy often dictates how to do this and why I don't follow religion.  I believe we can communicate in thought as well as spoken words.  The answers received are not vocal.  I believe we often receive messages with dreams and with our "gut" feeling.  We know what is right or wrong by that "gut" feeling.  I touched briefly on this in my short story: "Eternal Life - Transformation" .  That story evolved from my OBE and dreams that I had. 

It is an interesting subject.  I don't believe anyone has the answer and that leads to searching for truth.  I agree with much that you say.  Where we may differ is with our source of information.  From what I read from your posts, you base your beliefs entirely on the Bible.  Having a source is good, however interpreting what we read from a source that offers conflicting stories about events coupled with translation errors does not make that source infalible.

Abe, I follow no religion. I have tested each religion by the Bible. It is easy to prove ALL RELIGIONS ARE FALSE, AND NOT FROM GOD...THEY ARE MAN MADE.
Yes we can talk to God, and he hears us. He does not speak to us, but answers in actions. On these points I am no different than you.
The only question standing, "Is the Bible really the word of God? and has any of it been changed by man?"
Yes some parts have been changed, after all, it is just a printed book on paper, and any man can make changes. God knew this would happen. What has been changed, God also hid in other scriptures he knew they would over look.
Abe, we both believe in God. As to religions, God says, "GET OUT OF THEM MY PEOPLE."
I use more than the Bible to learn about God. As you are already doing I also talk to him.
He replies, not by voice, but action...some times I see it, other times I don't until much later.
I do ask him this, and it is a request he will always give answer to. "Father, teach me about you."
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:03 am

From TIME Magzine:
Quote :
The God of Noah: Great, but Not Always Good
March 30, 2014
A movie that reminds us of the difficult, often perplexing nature of the Bible

“And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.”
— The Book of Genesis

As any even remotely careful reader knows, the Bible is a hard book, one that tends to raise as many questions as it answers. The God of the Hebrew Scriptures can be as capricious in his way as any of the gods of the ancient world; later, the God of the New Testament, in offering a means of salvation, does so only through the brutally violent execution of his own son. To engage with the biblical, then, is to engage with texts that are not historical in the ordinary sense of the term. Largely written to convince and convert, the Bible is a special kind of literary country. As the author of the Gospel of John said of his own work, “These things are written that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.” Understanding the stories of Scripture requires what British poet and critic Samuel Taylor Coleridge once called a “willing suspension of disbelief” — a suspension that in turn creates what Coleridge thought of as “poetic faith.”

I thought of Coleridge this weekend as I watched the new No. 1 movie in America, Noah, starring Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson. The movie has been predictably reviewed both as a dramatic enterprise (as a kind of latter-day Cecil B. DeMille film with CGI effects) and as a 21st century environmental fable (the world was destroyed by the “Creator” because of strip-mining, clear-cutting and gluttony). There have been point-by-point fact-checks between the film and the relevant chapters of Genesis. And there have been the expected criticisms from some religious groups about the movie’s preference for action sequences over theological reflection.

To me, the movie is a useful reminder of the difficult, often perplexing nature of the Bible itself. The Noah story is strange to us; the Flood in Genesis is one of the reasons I dislike the childhood mealtime blessing, “God is great, God is good, let us thank him for our food.” Yes, God is great, but he is not always good, for, in the Noah example, are we to really believe that everyone on earth except Noah’s family had to die? In terms of the narrative, God seems overly harsh, which even he may have realized, for by the time of the Passion and Resurrection of Jesus, he would at least spare the inhabitants of the world that he chose to bring into being from a sudden death by drowning.

The Noah story is not unique in ancient literature. From the Sumerian creation story to The Epic of Gilgamesh, flood myths were common in Near Eastern culture and cosmology. Given the arbitrary, violent and chaotic nature of life in premodern times, the emergence of folk tales that ascribed supernatural significance to natural disasters is totally understandable. Here’s the thing, though: life in our own age is also arbitrary, violent and chaotic. Most of us dislike acknowledging that things lie outside our control; the whole story of the postscientific revolution, post-Enlightenment world has been the steady acceptance of the expectation that the unknown is knowable and the unmanageable manageable.

The Noah story is a rebuke to such certitude. The Flood and the arbitrary nature of a divine mandate to begin the world over again through mass drownings are of a piece with the tragic failings of a fallen world — the violent takeover of nation by nation, the disappearance of a huge airliner, the death of an innocent. The point of the Noah tale is that at any moment, forces beyond our control will upend everything we think we know about life. If there is a philosophical core to the new Noah movie, I think it can be found in a single line of dialogue from Crowe’s biblical patriarch, who, realizing the duty that has fallen on him, says, “The storm cannot be stopped, but it can be survived.”


In a way, that tragic acceptance of reality imbued with a sense of ultimate hope is an essential element of monotheistic theology. For those who choose the consolations of faith — and as the Noah story shows, faith surely comes with challenges — the tragic is ultimately leavened by hope. After the rain comes the rainbow; after the Cross the Crown. Part of us wants to cry out, wanting to know why the rain, why the Cross, and that crying out — the why with the hand uplifted to the heavens — is as inescapable an element of life as rain, and as death. Noah survived; all the rest of us can hope is that perhaps, in the fullness of time, we shall too.


Last edited by alj on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 am

alj wrote:
From TIME Magzine:
Quote :
The God of Noah: Great, but Not Always Good
March 30, 2014
A movie that reminds us of the difficult, often perplexing nature of the Bible

“And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.”
— The Book of Genesis

As any even remotely careful reader knows, the Bible is a hard book, one that tends to raise as many questions as it answers. The God of the Hebrew Scriptures can be as capricious in his way as any of the gods of the ancient world; later, the God of the New Testament, in offering a means of salvation, does so only through the brutally violent execution of his own son. To engage with the biblical, then, is to engage with texts that are not historical in the ordinary sense of the term. Largely written to convince and convert, the Bible is a special kind of literary country. As the author of the Gospel of John said of his own work, “These things are written that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.” Understanding the stories of Scripture requires what British poet and critic Samuel Taylor Coleridge once called a “willing suspension of disbelief” — a suspension that in turn creates what Coleridge thought of as “poetic faith.”

I thought of Coleridge this weekend as I watched the new No. 1 movie in America, Noah, starring Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson. The movie has been predictably reviewed both as a dramatic enterprise (as a kind of latter-day Cecil B. DeMille film with CGI effects) and as a 21st century environmental fable (the world was destroyed by the “Creator” because of strip-mining, clear-cutting and gluttony). There have been point-by-point fact-checks between the film and the relevant chapters of Genesis. And there have been the expected criticisms from some religious groups about the movie’s preference for action sequences over theological reflection.

To me, the movie is a useful reminder of the difficult, often perplexing nature of the Bible itself. The Noah story is strange to us; the Flood in Genesis is one of the reasons I dislike the childhood mealtime blessing, “God is great, God is good, let us thank him for our food.” Yes, God is great, but he is not always good, for, in the Noah example, are we to really believe that everyone on earth except Noah’s family had to die? In terms of the narrative, God seems overly harsh, which even he may have realized, for by the time of the Passion and Resurrection of Jesus, he would at least spare the inhabitants of the world that he chose to bring into being from a sudden death by drowning.

The Noah story is not unique in ancient literature. From the Sumerian creation story to The Epic of Gilgamesh, flood myths were common in Near Eastern culture and cosmology. Given the arbitrary, violent and chaotic nature of life in premodern times, the emergence of folk tales that ascribed supernatural significance to natural disasters is totally understandable. Here’s the thing, though: life in our own age is also arbitrary, violent and chaotic. Most of us dislike acknowledging that things lie outside our control; the whole story of the postscientific revolution, post-Enlightenment world has been the steady acceptance of the expectation that the unknown is knowable and the unmanageable manageable.

The Noah story is a rebuke to such certitude. The Flood and the arbitrary nature of a divine mandate to begin the world over again through mass drownings are of a piece with the tragic failings of a fallen world — the violent takeover of nation by nation, the disappearance of a huge airliner, the death of an innocent. The point of the Noah tale is that at any moment, forces beyond our control will upend everything we think we know about life. If there is a philosophical core to the new Noah movie, I think it can be found in a single line of dialogue from Crowe’s biblical patriarch, who, realizing the duty that has fallen on him, says, “The storm cannot be stopped, but it can be survived.”


In a way, that tragic acceptance of reality imbued with a sense of ultimate hope is an essential element of monotheistic theology. For those who choose the consolations of faith — and as the Noah story shows, faith surely comes with challenges — the tragic is ultimately leavened by hope. After the rain comes the rainbow; after the Cross the Crown. Part of us wants to cry out, wanting to know why the rain, why the Cross, and that crying out — the why with the hand uplifted to the heavens — is as inescapable an element of life as rain, and as death. Noah survived; all the rest of us can hope is that perhaps, in the fullness of time, we shall too.


It is clear the author of this has little knowledge of the Bible, what the world was like before the flood, or why Jesus came to die, and had to be dead for three days.

This author writes God to be a monster. I would like to see his reaction to the flood if he had been alive pre-flood…where giants were eating people.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29
Location : Florida

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 am

I have to apologize.  When posts are so long, I tend not to read them in their entirely.  I wanted to respond to the comments regarding writing that is spoken from God. I believe that the power of what we comprehend as God lies within all of us and we can be great according to how well we strive to listen to that inner voice and to learn how to project the will of that voice in what we do.  Many people hear "God" or witness "God" in different ways.  That does not make one person's experience more spiritual or direct than another's.

A woman in my church on Sunday said she knew since she was three years old that she was a "healer."  Well, since I was a child, I have been a "writer."  I don't believe one gift is any more or less from "God" though she believe she has a direct line.  Child prodigies play piano and sing and win chess tournaments.  Those abilities are as much from their spiritual source as any other.

Personally, I believe we all have a direct line.  That's why we are so unique and special.  No one needs to intervene to connect us to our spiritual selves.  That's where I kind of agree that man's religions are a creation of certain people who gain a following and not necessarily "real" spiritual.  However, some organization of spiritual thought does help.

My thoughts regarding spiritual things are pretty fluid.  I become suspicious when someone claims they have the truth - I believe there are as many truths as individuals on this earth. No one person gets it "right" because no one person is omniscient.  We are like one grain of sand.  It takes many of us to create form and substance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 am

dkchristi wrote:
I have to apologize.  When posts are so long, I tend not to read them in their entirely.  I wanted to respond to the comments regarding writing that is spoken from God. I believe that the power of what we comprehend as God lies within all of us and we can be great according to how well we strive to listen to that inner voice and to learn how to project the will of that voice in what we do.  Many people hear "God" or witness "God" in different ways.  That does not make one person's experience more spiritual or direct than another's.

A woman in my church on Sunday said she knew since she was three years old that she was a "healer."  Well, since I was a child, I have been a "writer."  I don't believe one gift is any more or less from "God" though she believe she has a direct line.  Child prodigies play piano and sing and win chess tournaments.  Those abilities are as much from their spiritual source as any other.

Personally, I believe we all have a direct line.  That's why we are so unique and special.  No one needs to intervene to connect us to our spiritual selves.  That's where I kind of agree that man's religions are a creation of certain people who gain a following and not necessarily "real" spiritual.  However, some organization of spiritual thought does help.

My thoughts regarding spiritual things are pretty fluid.  I become suspicious when someone claims they have the truth - I believe there are as many truths as individuals on this earth. No one person gets it "right" because no one person is omniscient.  We are like one grain of sand.  It takes many of us to create form and substance.

I agree, all people have an open line to God...does he let all people understand his word?  He say no. He says he only lets those he wants understand his written word.
Are there many ways to God? Going by his word there is only one.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 10:02 am

My sincere apolgoes.  I posted the TIME article here accidentally.  I had intended to post it to my thread re Glenn Beck's response to the film, Noah.

I have reposted the article to that thread.

Hope I have't caused too much confusion.  I will leave the TIME article here as well since there have been replies.

For the intended discussion, pease go here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 10:25 am

Domenic wrote:


It is clear the author of this has little knowledge of the Bible, what the world was like before the flood, or why Jesus came to die, and had to be dead for three days.

This author writes God to be a monster. I would like to see his reaction to the flood if he had been alive pre-flood…where giants were eating people.

Where did you read that the Nephilim were cannibals?
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:14 am

alj wrote:
Domenic wrote:


It is clear the author of this has little knowledge of the Bible, what the world was like before the flood, or why Jesus came to die, and had to be dead for three days.

This author writes God to be a monster. I would like to see his reaction to the flood if he had been alive pre-flood…where giants were eating people.

Where did you read that the Nephilim were cannibals?

The book of Enoch. These scrolls were used by the early Christians even after Jesus came. The giants were the sons of the angels and human women.
The native American also tell stories about the giants eating them, and how they would trap giants in cave, and kill them.
You should read the book of Enoch...it give a picture of pre-flood earth. 
Since Enoch was a great grand father of Noah, he must have been there.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:27 am

I've read the Book of Enoch. As I said earlier, it was written only 200-300 years before the birth of Christ. It can hardly be considered history.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Look, anyone who happens to read this post.  I am not out to change anyone's mind.  We each have our own perspectives.

Here is mine:  We are living at a pivotal point in history.  Much of the world as we know it is changing faster than we can keep up with it.  And as a result, we often find ourselves without a guide - a source for helping us to make the choices we find ourselves faced with.

About a quarter of a century ago, when I was younger, and at a different lifetime crisis - my children were growing up and leaving home and I was no longer necessary to their survival, so I, like most people do at that juncture, started looking for a updated purpose.  I was led, I believe, to a study of comparative mythology, combined with an interest in Jungian psychology and a sense of what another psychologist, Rollo May, called "the cry for myth," which was also the title of his seminary work on the subject.

I grew up in a traditional Christian environment, but not a fundamentalist one.  I was told, early on, that understanding the Bible meant not trying to make it historically or literally true, but to recognize the universality of its symbols and metaphors.  I lived in a community that recognized the validity of difference - different denominations of Christianity, and different but equally valid perspectives of both the old and new testaments.  In my neighborhood there were Catholics, who among other things, ate fish every Friday.  There were Baptists who did not drink alcohol or go to movies.  There were Presbyterians like myself who did not seem to have any forbidden habits - neither did the Espscopalians ( except for a portion who like the Catholics did not eat meat on Fridays), and there were our Jewish friends and neighbors who did not eat pork ever, and who went to church on Saturday and called it Synagogue.  Nobody really cared who did which.  We all worshiped the same God and shared basically the same body of tales and stories.  

At that later time, as my children grew up and I had all this free time, I started to dream and wonder, and was led, as I said, to the works of writers like Campbell, Jung, and May, and to the realization that all those stories were what constituted our mythology.

Now, I know that there are some who are bothered by that word.  Campbell often said that most people viewed myth as "other people's religion."  Maybe that's why the common uses of the word involved the words "lie" and "untruth."     What I learned about the word, myth, was that it was simply a collection of the stories and beliefs that our groups, communities, and societies told each other, and described the morals and ethics we lived by.

The main thing is, whether or not we still adhere to the religions we grew up with, the stories are still a part of what Jung called our "collective unconscious."  There is an element of universal validity about the stories, whether or not we think of them as fanciful tales or valid and factual history.  They are part of our collective dreams.  They are our myth.

I will tell you what I see as of today as my personal response to this film, which relates a version of a universal story that is solidly a part of our archetypal knowledge of our collective past.  I see a man who is basically good - who loves his wife and his children and lives a simple life in accord with the natural world around him and believes in his Creator.  He begins to have visions and dreams.  He consults his grandfather (Methuselah - played superbly by Anthony Hopkins) a wise man who helps him to interpret his visions.  He comes to believe that he has been chosen to save "the innocent" from a massive deluge that the Creator is sending to destroy humanity since it has turned to evil ways.

Don't want to spoil the film for those who want to se it, so will stay as general as possible (after all, most of us know the basics of the story, which are followed far more closely than the critics have said), so that I don't give away details.  As the story progresses, Noah's "goodness" gets mixed up with his need to obey a Creator whose goal is not mecessarily "good" in the sense we understand it today.  His path brings him into conflict, not only with the rest of humanity, which he believes must be destroyed, but with the members of his own family.

The story, as it is told in this film, does not provide many answers.  It mostly forces us to ask questions.  It forces us to admit that the world is not as cut and dried as we would like to believe.  It forces us to deal with the questions that have no easy answers.

For me, that is the strength of this production.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 1:53 pm

alj wrote:
I've read the Book of Enoch.  As I said earlier, it was written only 200-300 years before the birth of Christ.  It can hardly be considered history.

Oaky lets take it your way: The book of Enoch was written after the birth of Christ.
Enoch lived, and died before the flood. I think it's a good chance he wrote what he wrote before he died. He was the grate grandfather of Noah. Enoch was not one of the people on the ark...again I think it safe to say he was not alive after the flood. He had to write what he wrote before the flood.
The scrolls (Books) of Enoch were also part of the dead sea Scrolls...many of these written before the birth of Jesus.
Do you think maybe the book of Enoch was copied many times after the flood?

The Bible was written hundreds of years after Jesus death, so are you also saying the Bible can not be considered real?
I think you are so wrapped up in what you believe, that anything outside of that is false. Yet you can not prove any of what you believe to be true? Is there a chance in a trillion...you could be wrong?
I'll make you a deal: "Give me one, just one little proof of what you believe to back up what you believe this life is all about, and I'll burn my Bible, and myself." Deal?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Considering the earliest dates, it is far more likely that someone else wrote the Book of Enoch, using the name of Methuselah's father.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm

alj wrote:
Considering the earliest dates, it is far more likely that someone else wrote the Book of Enoch, using the name of Methuselah's father.


If you consider someone else wrote the book of Enoch, would that not be an unproven theory with nothing to back it up?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Prove that it was actually written by Enoch, father of Methuselah, and I'll discuss it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Once again, Domenic, I have inadvertently posted to your thread. I apologize.

While it is my perspective that science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God, I do not wish to change your perspective.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 pm

alj wrote:
Prove that it was actually written by Enoch, father of Methuselah, and I'll discuss it.


Enoch is mentioned five time in the Bible. One of those times it says he wrote about the things taking place (pre-flood) and that they (the world) would be destroyed.

But of course to prove Enoch wrote the book of Enoch, I would first have to prove the Bible is Gods word…you have shown me many times before that is impossible…you will not believe any of it. God says he will not let the un-believer understand it.

As to how you believe, you have never shown any proof. All you do is duck behind what you say with answers like, “What is proof?” etc.

The fact is you can’t prove anything you believe. You look down on those who follow false religions, and claim you will be part of some cosmic magic after life. Yet you can prove nothing of what you believe. You are tickling your own ear.

Nothing personal…just my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Domenic wrote:
The fact is you can’t prove anything you believe. You look down on those who follow false religions, and claim you will be part of some cosmic magic after life. Yet you can prove nothing of what you believe

I look down on no one. I do not believe that there are any "false religions." I believe that all are valid according to that perspective. I have never claimed to be "part of some cosmic magic after life." I do not believe that any spiritual faith can be proved by classical science. I do believe that the more we learn of quantum science may help us understand these abstract phenomena better, but we are not quite there yet.

As I said, I did not mean to post on your thread. I thought I was responding to posts you made on my thread. There is a lot that I do not understand about computers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29
Location : Florida

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't always go back to see whose thread it is.  I just post if it sounds interesting at the point I step in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio

Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 5:24 pm

dkchristi wrote:
I don't always go back to see whose thread it is.  I just post if it sounds interesting at the point I step in.

I hear you. It was my mistake (twice). I appreciated the comments.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content




Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!    Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!   Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Does God Exist? - Clear Scientific Facts Prove it!
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Religion and Spirituality-
Jump to: