Published Authors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books
 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

 

 Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
It makes one wonder what we would have done in Noah’s place?

Which is exactly what Darren Aronofsky wondered. Want to know? See Noah.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Abe F. March wrote:
Domenic, you didn't respond to the post I made with the Web Address.  Did you read it? 

You said: "You claim your belief is inspired by you..."

Please direct me to that statement.

 Did you not say:

 
"I find it difficult to accept the Bible as the literal word of God.   Admittedly it is an all-time best seller and has been a guide on how to live.  The God/Spirit within us speaks more loudly than written words."

In other word, you are trusting your own thoughts over Gods written word. When you say, within us, who are you speaking for besides yourself?
Dom, your use of "In other word" is your own interpretation.  The God/Spirit was my reference and source of the inspiration.
This is an example of how mis-reading or interpreting can distort what was said.  Can you imagine this happening with ancient texts?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 pm

I'm taking the liberty of posting from the website I mentioned.

"
The Bible's Ungodly Origins
by Robert L. Johnson
Many rank and file Christians sincerely believe the Bible is a direct communication from God to man. I know I used to believe it was when I was a Christian. And from recent conversations with many sincere Christians I know this is currently true for many believers. Once it is proven to our God-given reason that the Bible is strictly a man-made collection of mythology the mind loses yet another shackle of "revelation" and is soon on its way to full freedom and progress.
The Bible was not handed to mankind by God, nor was it dictated to human stenographers by God. It has nothing to do with God. In actuality, the Bible was VOTED to be the word of God by a group of men during the 4th century.
According to Professor John Crossan of Biblical Studies at DePaul University the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great (274-337 CE), (a bust of Constantine is pictured below) who was the first Roman Emperor to convert to Christianity, needed a single canon to be agreed upon by the Christian leaders to help him unify the remains of the Roman Empire. Until this time the various Christian leaders could not decide which books would be considered "holy" and thus "the word of God" and which ones would be excluded and not considered the word of God.
Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 ConstantineEmperor Constantine, who was Roman Emperor from 306 CE until his death in 337 CE, used what motivates many to action - MONEY! He offered the various Church leaders money to agree upon a single canon that would be used by all Christians as the word of God. The Church leaders gathered together at the Council of Nicaea and voted the "word of God" into existence. (I wish to thank Brian Show for pointing out in his rebuttal to this article that the final version of the Christian Bible was not voted on at the Council of Nicaea, per se. The Church leaders didn't finish editing the "holy" scriptures until the Council of Trent when the Catholic Church pronounced the Canon closed. However, it seems the real approving editor of the Bible was not God but Constantine! This fact is revealed in the second counter-rebuttal to Brian Show's first rebuttal to this article. This counter-rebuttal makes the following important statement and backs it up with FACTS - "Therefore, one can easily argue that the first Christian Bible was commissioned, paid for, inspected and approved by a pagan emperor for church use." Of course, I'd like to express my deep appreciation to fellow Deist Peter Murphy for the great research work he did in order to write such a great counter-rebuttal!
In the landmark work by H.G. Wells, The Outline of History, Vol. I, pages 462-463, we read, "It (the Council of Nicaea) marks the definite entry upon the stage of human affairs of the Christian Church and of Christianity as it is generally understood in the world to-day. It marks the exact definition of Christian teaching by the Nicene Creed."
Constantine ordered and financed 50 parchment copies of the new "holy scriptures." It seems with the financial element added to the picture, the Church fathers were able to overcome their differences and finally agree which "holy" books would stay and which would go.
Compare the man-made origins of Christianity and its various dogmas to the simplicity of Deism. Deism is belief in God based only on reason and the creation itself. It makes no claim to false "revelations" as all of the "revealed" religions do. To Deists, proof of the Designer is in the design.
To quote Thomas Paine, "Were man impressed as fully and as strongly as he ought to be with the belief of a God, his moral life would be regulated by the force of that belief; he would stand in awe of God and of himself, and would not do the thing that could not be concealed from either. To give this belief the full opportunity of force, it is necessary that it acts alone. This is Deism. But when, according to the Christian Trinitarian scheme, one part of God is represented by a dying man, and another part, called the Holy Ghost, by a flying pigeon, it is impossible that belief can attach itself to such wild conceits. . . .
"The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion. Not anything can be studied as a science, without our being in possession of the principles upon which it is founded; and as this is not the case with Christian theology, it is therefore the study of nothing.
"Instead then of studying theology, as is now done out of the Bible and Testament, the meanings of which books are always controverted and the authenticity of which is disproved, it is necessary that we refer to the Bible of the Creation. The principles we discover there are eternal and of divine origin; they are the foundation of all the science that exists in the world, and must be the foundation of theology.
"We can know God only through His works. We cannot have a conception of any one attribute but by following some principle that leads to it. We have only a confused idea of His power, if we have not the means of comprehending something of its immensity. We can have no idea of His wisdom, but by knowing the order and manner in which it acts. The principles of science lead to this knowledge; for the Creator of man is the Creator of science, and it is through that medium that man can see God, as it were, face to face."

On May 12, 1797 while living in Paris, France Tom Paine wrote the following letter to a Christian friend who was trying to convert Paine to Christianity. Paine's response fits perfectly with this page regarding the origins of the Bible.

"In your letter of the twentieth of March, you give me several quotations from the Bible, which you call the Word of God, to show me that my opinions on religion are wrong, and I could give you as many, from the same book to show that yours are not right; consequently, then, the Bible decides nothing, because it decides any way, and every way, one chooses to make it.

"But by what authority do you call the Bible the Word of God? for this is the first point to be settled. It is not your calling it so that makes it so, any more than the Mahometans calling the Koran the Word of God makes the Koran to be so. The Popish Councils of Nice and Laodicea, about 350 years after the time the person called Jesus Christ is said to have lived, voted the books that now compose what is called the New Testament to be the Word of God. This was done by yeas and nays, as we now vote a law.

"The Pharisees of the second temple, after the Jews returned from captivity in Babylon, did the same by the books that now compose the Old Testament, and this is all the authority there is, which to me is no authority at all. I am as capable of judging for myself as they were, and I think more so, because, as they made a living by their religion, they had a self-interest in the vote they gave.

"You may have an opinion that a man is inspired, but you cannot prove it, nor can you have any proof of it yourself, because you cannot see into his mind in order to know how he comes by his thoughts; and the same is the case with the word revelation. There can be no evidence of such a thing, for you can no more prove revelation than you can prove what another man dreams of, neither can he prove it himself.

"It is often said in the Bible that God spake unto Moses, but how do you know that God spake unto Moses? Because, you will say, the Bible says so. The Koran says, that God spake unto Mahomet, do you believe that too? No.

"Why not? Because, you will say, you do not believe it; and so because you do, and because you don't is all the reason you can give for believing or disbelieving except that you will say that Mahomet was an impostor. And how do you know Moses was not an impostor?

"For my own part, I believe that all are impostors who pretend to hold verbal communication with the Deity. It is the way by which the world has been imposed upon; but if you think otherwise you have the same right to your opinion that I have to mine, and must answer for it in the same manner. But all this does not settle the point, whether the Bible be the Word of God, or not. It is therefore necessary to go a step further. The case then is: -

"You form your opinion of God from the account given of Him in the Bible; and I form my opinion of the Bible from the wisdom and goodness of God manifested in the structure of the universe, and in all works of creation. The result in these two cases will be, that you, by taking the Bible for your standard, will have a bad opinion of God; and I, by taking God for my standard, shall have a bad opinion of the Bible.

"The Bible represents God to be a changeable, passionate, vindictive being; making a world and then drowning it, afterwards repenting of what he had done, and promising not to do so again. Setting one nation to cut the throats of another, and stopping the course of the sun till the butchery should be done. But the works of God in the creation preach to us another doctrine. In that vast volume we see nothing to give us the idea of a changeable, passionate, vindictive God; everything we there behold impresses us with a contrary idea - that of unchangeableness and of eternal order, harmony, and goodness.

"The sun and the seasons return at their appointed time, and everything in the creation claims that God is unchangeable. Now, which am I to believe, a book that any impostor might make and call the Word of God, or the creation itself which none but an Almighty Power could make? For the Bible says one thing, and the creation says the contrary. The Bible represents God with all the passions of a mortal, and the creation proclaims him with all the attributes of a God.

"It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine, and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man. That bloodthirsty man, called the prophet Samuel, makes God to say, (I Sam. xv. 3) `Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.'

"That Samuel or some other impostor might say this, is what, at this distance of time, can neither be proved nor disproved, but in my opinion it is blasphemy to say, or to believe, that God said it. All our ideas of the justice and goodness of God revolt at the impious cruelty of the Bible. It is not a God, just and good, but a devil, under the name of God, that the Bible describes.

"What makes this pretended order to destroy the Amalekites appear the worse, is the reason given for it. The Amalekites, four hundred years before, according to the account in Exodus xvii. (but which has the appearance of fable from the magical account it gives of Moses holding up his hands), had opposed the Israelites coming into their country, and this the Amalekites had a right to do, because the Israelites were the invaders, as the Spaniards were the invaders of Mexico. This opposition by the Amalekites, at that time, is given as a reason, that the men, women, infants and sucklings, sheep and oxen, camels and asses, that were born four hundred years afterward, should be put to death; and to complete the horror, Samuel hewed Agag, the chief of the Amalekites, in pieces, as you would hew a stick of wood. I will bestow a few observations on this case.

"In the first place, nobody knows who the author, or writer, of the book of Samuel was, and, therefore, the fact itself has no other proof than anonymous or hearsay evidence, which is no evidence at all. In the second place, this anonymous book says, that this slaughter was done by the express command of God: but all our ideas of the justice and goodness of God give the lie to the book, and as I never will believe any book that ascribes cruelty and injustice to God, I therefore reject the Bible as unworthy of credit.

"As I have now given you my reasons for believing that the Bible is not the Word of God, that it is a falsehood, I have a right to ask you your reasons for believing the contrary; but I know you can give me none, except that you were educated to believe the Bible; and as the Turks give the same reason for believing the Koran, it is evident that education makes all the difference, and that reason and truth have nothing to do in the case.

"You believe in the Bible from the accident of birth, and the Turks believe in the Koran from the same accident, and each calls the other infidel. But leaving the prejudice of education out of the case, the unprejudiced truth is, that all are infidels who believe falsely of God, whether they draw their creed from the Bible, or from the Koran, from the Old Testament, or from the New.

"When you have examined the Bible with the attention that I have done (for I do not think you know much about it), and permit yourself to have just ideas of God, you will most probably believe as I do. But I wish you to know that this answer to your letter is not written for the purpose of changing your opinion. It is written to satisfy you, and some other friends whom I esteem, that my disbelief of the Bible is founded on a pure and religious belief in God; for in my opinion the Bible is a gross libel against the justice and goodness of God, in almost every part of it."

 
 

Dale Brown’s “Which Bible” investigates the Bible and the literal interpretation of this mystery story. This is not a religious book but a book about the Christian Myth through the eyes of a Deist. There are some sample chapters for your review at: WWW.Which-Bible.com  "
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 6:23 am

Abe,


A DETAILED REBUTTAL TO "A Critique of 'The Bible's Unholy Origins'", INCLUDING A HISTORICAL OVERVIEW




 

Counter rebuttal regarding the Bible's unholy origins




Brian Show's critique of Robert L. Johnson's article, ... nor was it dictated to human stenographers by God." Mr. Johnson's second sentence: ...www.deism.com/counterrebuttalunholybible.htm - Cached
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:18 am

It all goes to confirm that the debate is never-ending and no one knows.  That's where believe and faith enter the picture.  I still don't consider the Bible the "Word of God", however I do believe in a higher power that one may call God.  I believe we can communicate with this higher power through thought and words.  I also believe that we receive answers not in word form, but by prompts, i.e., "a gut feeling".  All agree that the Bible was written by man.  How much was inspired by God and how much by political expediency will continue to be debated and that is truly an exercise in futulity.  I suggest that one should follow his heart.  If it feels right, it is.  If there is doubt or it doesn't feel right, it isn't.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 am

Domenic, the article you referenced is not a rebuttal to the article referenced and reproduced by Abe, which was written by Robert Johnson, but to a critique of Mr. Johnson's article by Brian Show, so it would be a rebuttal to a rebuttal, which would logically indicate that it approved Mr. Johnson's original.

Glancing over both Mr. Show's critique and the counter rebuttal you referenced, which was written by one Peter C. Murphy, these articles all seem to be written by Deists arguing over fine points in the premises of Deism.

The basic facts are mostly the same, that the Bible was compiled over several centuries before is was eventually canonized in the 4th century CE, or AD if you prefer. They only differ in the finer details of which council did what and for what reasons.

All three, it seems to me from a very brief glance, are taking the Deist stand that the Bible is not the "word of God."

To my way of thinking, all this is beside the point. The Bible is the Holy Book of two major religions and strongly influenced a third. As such, it has formed the basis for much of Western thought. Whether or not it was dictated by God or was compiled from stories written by men who were perhaps inspired by God is moot insofar as the religions are concerned. The influence on the culture has been the same.

Within the institutions are individuals and groups that have focused on the unifying messages of love, and other individuals and groups that have focused on the divisive messages of fear.

You still haven't told us how you have determined what actually constitutes what you call God's word, and what you have said contains as many contradictions as these articles all do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks Ann for providing some clarity to seemingly confusing articles.  The Deists seem to have a good grasp of what God is.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:45 am

I mostly agree with that. I do still speak from the perspective of a progressive Christian, which is to say that I agree with the bishop of the US Episcopal Church, Katherine Jefferts-Schori, among other modern leaders, that Christianity is not the only road to finding the Divine Source. The Bible was compiled by church fathers who had their own agendas, but much of God shines through, just the same.

But that's just me.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 am

My intent of making the post was not to deny God or to trash the Bible.  My intent was simply to state that one cannot take the Bible literally as the Word of God.  Of course, that is my take on it.  Whatever man wishes to believe and is faithful to that belief, I commend them.  My mother was such a person.  I certainly would not have brought what I posted to her attention.  She lived her religiion and it brought comfort to her.  She died believing that she was going to heaven and wanted all her family to meet her there.  And I might add, if heaven exists, she will be there.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12656
Registration date : 2008-01-11
Location : UK

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 am

She will be there even if it doesn't exist, Abe. It was your mother's belief, and it may have died with her, but it didn't change in the process.

_________________
Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 am

Amen
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 6:09 am

Here is Jon Stewart's reaction to conservative's criticism of the film, Noah (yes, that's what this thread was originally about.)

http://www.businessinsider.in/thewire/tv/Jon-Stewart-Mocks-The-Religious-Backlash-Against-Noah/articleshow/33526581.cms
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 8:34 am

Here is Domenic Pappalardos reaction to conservative’s criticism of the film.


Some may remember in the 60’s, there were several Funny Bible spoof movies that came out. The studios who made the movies were Jewish controlled. There was no uproar over these as there is over the movie Flood.
I find it funny that when a Christian makes a Bible movie, (like the Passion of the Christ) those same Jewish studios try to destroy the makers (like Mel Gibson) for their movie.
A classic Bible movie, The Ten Commandments, a Jewish made studio film, stared Charlton Heston as Moses. Moses was a little Jew with a speech impediment. Liberties are taken all the time with Bible movies…why the uproar over the Flood?
Jews do not believe in Jesus. They teach Jesus is just a “Fairy Tale.” But they seem to make many Jesus movies…I assume it’s to either make money, or destroy the Christian belief?
It cost money to make a movie…and movies are made to make money. Liberties are taken.
I’m going to go see the movie Flood.. I do know the story from the Bible. I’m not going to go see the movie for the plot…I want to see the action in it, and how well they made the scenes. It’s just a movie.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 9:21 am

Dom,
I agree with you about movies being made with the primary objective of making money, however they are also politically motivated. 
When we returned from Beirut, we were conscious of events in the Middle East and how they were reported. It became obvious to my wife and I that whenever there was anything negative about Israel, we could expect to see TV program changes, and so we did.  What we saw were Biblical movies casting the Jews in a good light.  Nothing has changed.  When you control the media, you control the minds of the viewers. 
As you know, there are some movies where the viewer roots for the bad guys.  The movie makers/directors create the emotions that they seek. 
Many movies are made from top selling novels.  The movie, although good, cannot do justice to the book and I don't believe that is the objective.  What sells is the objective together with with any political agenda.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 am

Excuse me, guys, but Noah is not a Christian story.  (It isn't even a Jewish story, technically, since Judaism began with Abraham, the son of "a wandering Aramean."  It was around the time period of Abraham that records began to speak of the Apiru, a nomadic group that were considered outsiders when the began to settle in the outskirts of cities.  Historians are not sure what was meant by the term Apiru, which, in some later writings became Habiru and eventually Hebrew, but the term was not complimentary; however,this is a digression that would be cool to discuss in another thread.)

Darren Aronofsky, a Jew who does not practice Judaism, but still honors the religion of his childhood, chose to create a film version of a story that is a part of his culture's mythology - not just his mythology, but a universal story that appeared in many other cultures from around the same time period.

 If you were to back up a page or two in this very thread, you would find a review by a Muslim ndividual who praised the film for just those reasons.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/04/after-noah-deluge-201447124810294467.html
Quote :

I saw the film with awe and in admiration, not least because it breaks the monopoly of the institutional claim on a magnificent Biblical story that at first belonged to the Jewish people, but which then entered the Bible and the Quran. Thus, it belongs to billions of human beings - and no particular rabbi, priest, imam or cleric has any exclusive claim on it. We are the people - Jews, Christians, Muslims and (bless them all) atheists and agnostics. This is our story, and we can tell it any way we please!

Aronofsky's Noah is a man - a husband, father and soon-to-be grandfather. It is a good time in the history of humanity when we have choice to make between the Noah of Glenn Beck - who criticised the cinematic portrayal of Noah and referred to the film as a "Babylonian chainsaw massacre" - and the Noah of Aronofsky.

As a Muslim, as a man, and as a father, I have made my choice, and I am on Aronofsky's side. I revel in his judicious moral imagination. Without compromising the Biblical prophet's absolutist convictions in the commandment of his God, Aronofsky has Noah finally succumb to the fragile humanity of his soul. From the moral conundrum that torments his soul, he arrives at a superior conception of his God. His God does not speak to him except through that fragility He had enabled in the first place. And we, as creatures of that very same dialectic, are far richer in our moral imagination through this superior filmmaker than we would be through divisive Christian or Muslim televangelists.  

This thread is more about the literalist Christian reaction to a story they claim as part of their Holy writings at the same time they apparently do not recognize that Jesus was himself a Jew.

It seems to me that an attempt to attack Judaism in this context is a bit out of place.  It has nothing to do with the intent of this thread.

And for the record - Mel Gibson is a known anti-semetic.  

Just me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 11:56 am

For the record-alj


 



I agree with some of what you say. What I don't agree with I won't comment on outside of Mel Gibson. Many people in the media have called him anti-semetic. Mr Gibson has many friends who are Jewish.



Yes he has made some remarks that are off the wall, but you must remember these were made after they attacked him, ruined his business, (He has a movie studio) and almost banned him from work as an actor. All of this stems from his fathers attack on the holocaust. The Jews of Hollywood asked Mr Gibson, "What do you think about what your father is saying?" Mr Gibson replied, "That's my father, I'm not going there." That is why they attacked his movie, "The passion of the Christ," and that is the reason they are still attacking him. I don't blame him for getting angry, and making remarks about the Jews. I find it strange Jews can make Christian movies, and not stick to Bible truth, but if a Christian makes a movie and sticks to truth, they come under attack from Jews. Jews are anti-Christian, what is the difference from anti-semetic?



Anti-semetic could be referring to;
Semitic-speaking peoples originating in the [url=/wiki/Near_East]Near East[/url], including; [url=/wiki/Akkadians]Akkadians[/url] ([url=/wiki/Assyrian_people]Assyrians/Syriacs[/url] and [url=/wiki/Babylonia]Babylonians[/url]), [url=/wiki/Ahlamu]Ahlamu[/url], [url=/wiki/Amalekites]Amalekites[/url], [url=/wiki/Ammon_(nation)]Ammonites[/url], [url=/wiki/Amorites]Amorites[/url], [url=/wiki/Arameans]Arameans[/url], [url=/wiki/Chaldea]Chaldeans[/url], [url=/wiki/Canaanites]Canaanites[/url], [url=/wiki/Eblaites]Eblaites[/url], [url=/wiki/Dilmun]Dilmunites[/url], [url=/wiki/Hebrews]Hebrews[/url] (including [url=/wiki/Israelites]Israelites[/url] and [url=/wiki/Jews]Jews[/url]), Edomites, [url=/wiki/Ethiopian_Semites]Ethiopian Semites[/url], [url=/wiki/Hyksos]Hyksos[/url], [url=/wiki/Arabs]Arabs[/url], [url=/wiki/Nabateans]Nabateans[/url], [url=/wiki/Majan_(civilization)]Maganites[/url], [url=/wiki/Maltese_people]Maltese[/url], [url=/wiki/Mandaeans]Mandaeans[/url], [url=/wiki/Mhallami]Mhallami[/url], [url=/wiki/Moabites]Moabites[/url], [url=/wiki/Phoenicians]Phoenicians[/url] (including [url=/wiki/Carthaginians]Carthaginians[/url]), [url=/wiki/Sheba]Shebans[/url], [url=/wiki/Sabians]Sabians[/url], [url=/wiki/Iram_of_the_Pillars]Ubarites[/url] and [url=/wiki/Ugarit]Ugarites[/url].



\Semitic people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Origin|

History|

Semitic-speaking peoples|

Languages





... a gnostic ethno-religious sect venerating John the Baptist as the true Messiah, ... The modern linguistic meaning of "Semitic" is ... The term " anti ...



en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic - Cached
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

Quote :
Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is prejudice, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews for reasons connected to their Jewish religion or heritage.[1] A person who holds such positions is called an "antisemite". As Jews are an ethnoreligious group, antisemitism is generally considered a form of racism.

While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic people, the term was coined in the late 19th century in Germany as a more scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred"),[2] and that has been its normal use since then.[3] For the purposes of a 2005 U.S. governmental report, antisemitism was considered "hatred toward Jews—individually and as a group—that can be attributed to the Jewish religion and/or ethnicity."[4],,,,,,

Economic antisemitism

The underlying premise of economic antisemitism is that Jews perform harmful economic activities or that economic activities become harmful when they are performed by Jews.[45]

Linking Jews and money underpins the most damaging and lasting Antisemitic canards.[46] Antisemites claim that Jews control the world finances, a theory promoted in the fraudulent Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and later repeated by Henry Ford and his Dearborn Independent. In the modern era, such myths continue to be spread in books such as The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews published by the Nation of Islam, and on the internet.

....[Economic Anti-semitism includes the notion that] Jews are "leaders of a financial cabal seeking world domination"
Abraham Foxman describes six facets of the financial canards:

All Jews are wealthy[48]
Jews are stingy and greedy[49]
Powerful Jews control the business world[50]
Jewish religion emphasizes profit and materialism[51]
It is okay for Jews to cheat non-Jews[52]
Jews use their power to benefit "their own kind"[53]

Political antisemitism

William Brustein defines political antisemitism as hostility toward Jews based on the belief that Jews seek national and/or world power." Yisrael Gutman characterizes political antisemitism as tending to "lay responsibility on the Jews for defeats and political economic crises" while seeking to "exploit opposition and resistance to Jewish influence as elements in political party platforms."[65]
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm

There are times when labels reveal truths and denial doesn't change it.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29
Location : Florida

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Mel Gibson had many issues.  He destroyed his own career through his behavior that was bizarre.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 8:58 am

dkchristi wrote:
Mel Gibson had many issues.  He destroyed his own career through his behavior that was bizarre.

I think the Mel Gibson case is, The Bad Guys look good, and the Good Guy looks bad.
Is there anybody on this forum better than Mel Gibson?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29
Location : Florida

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:19 am

?  We are not on a stage needing public opinion to support our career.  When one is in the limelight, bizarre behavior will be noted.  It affects some careers more than others.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 am

dkchristi wrote:
?  We are not on a stage needing public opinion to support our career.  When one is in the limelight, bizarre behavior will be noted.  It affects some careers more than others.

We don't know the people on stage. The reporters only write stories that make news. Do they blow things up? Sure.
There used to be a news paper started by a guy who was tired of reading bad news. He started a paper with only good news. Less than a year he folded for lack of readers.
People want to read bad news. Does that tell you something about we readers? Maybe the spotlights should point at us. What people read says a lot about what people are.
Mr Gibson has said, and done some strange things...I guess that makes him the same as the rest of us...Did you know he helps poor people? Mr Gibson has not only given money away, he also give his time away to people. He just does not brag about it.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29
Location : Florida

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 10:30 am

The fact that a person has bizarre behavior does not mean they cannot also have another side.  However, some behaviors are more offensive than others.  I have found his behaviors that I saw on camera and words I heard spoken as a reason that some of his fans might not stay with him.  Others don't care about bizarre behavior. So be it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05
Age : 77
Location : San Antonio

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 am

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/13/ark-before-noah-irving-finkel-review


Quote :
The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood by Irving Finkel – review
The story of the ark, and animals 'two by two', is so much older than the Bible: why was the myth appropriated?

...was the story of the flood original to the Bible at all? We know that it was not. This first became apparent a century and a half ago, in a room above the secretary's office in the British Museum. It was there in 1872 that George Smith, a self-taught Assyriologist working among the thousands of ancient clay tablets brought back to Bloomsbury from Iraq, made a sensational discovery: a version of the flood story written in cuneiform. So overwhelmed was he by the implications of his find that he immediately leapt to his feet, ran around the room, and started taking off his clothes. His excitement, to the Christian elite of Victorian Britain, appeared only mildly overstated. When Smith presented his discovery at a public meeting shortly afterwards, both Gladstone, then prime minister, and the Archbishop of Canterbury were in the audience. Everybody listening to him understood that a thrilling – and, to the devout, faintly alarming – vista of research had been opened up. "I believe," as Gladstone observed with studied ambivalence, "we shall be permitted to know a great deal more than our forefathers in respect of the early history of mankind."


And so it has proved. Over the years, cuneiform flood tablets have continued to turn up. Three distinct Mesopotamian incarnations of the myth have now been identified, one recorded in Sumerian and two in Akkadian. It has become clear that the tale of a universal flood was widespread in Mesopotamia for an entire millennium and a half before the hapless Judaeans, defeated in the early 6th century BC by Nebuchadnezzar, were dragged away from their smoking cities into exile, there to weep beside the rivers of Babylon. Now, courtesy of Irving Finkel, the British Museum's eminence grise of cuneiform studies, there comes a further clinching piece of evidence: a tablet that actually describes animals entering an ark "two by two". Not only that, but it offers startlingly precise specifications on how best to construct one. An ark, so the tablet instructs us, should properly be circular in shape, have an area of 3,600 metres, and be fashioned out of plant fibre. All those living in the Somerset Levels may wish to take note......

By plundering the heritage of Babylon, they were at once paying homage to its cultural prestige, and annexing it to their own ends. Just as Christians and Muslims would subsequently transform the biblical figure of Noah into a prefiguring of their own respective theodicies, so the Judaeans transformed the myths of their Babylonian overlords into something that would end up as Jewish. In Mesopotamia, where it was the custom to erect buildings over the remains of levelled ruins, the ancient past literally provided the foundations of new temples. In a similar manner, its legends were made to serve the self-mythologisation of the Jews. Some details of the flood tablet discovered by Finkel – the animals going in two by two, for instance – were cannibalised; others – the specifications of the ark's measurements, and the detail that the great ship had been round – were not. This, for me, is the real fascination of his find: the light it sheds on how a despised and defeated people won a victory over their conquerors so remarkable that it now gets to be commemorated by Russell Crowe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10758
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 81
Location : Germany

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 11:13 am

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 950944 
I am not a Bible Scholar nor have I studied it at the University.  My wife, however was a student of Comparative Religions and since that time has continued reading about Biblical history.  She shares her insights with me and I have gained knowledge through her.  She is still in contact with her professors and does translations for them.  When they write a book, they send her a copy.  What I have learned is much like what Ann is sharing.   She is not making this stuff up.  The learned people who report their findings are often taken to task by skeptics. 
Even today, what one says, disappears.  What one writes, stays.  The writings that have survived centuries give us insights that help us understand more about the ancient written words.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat
Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Religion and Spirituality-
Jump to: