Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:09 pm

Charlie Moore wrote:
I am curious to know why Glen Beck is referred to as a Creationist? He is a Mormon. Are they the same thing? I have been a Mormon most of my life and have yet to be referred to as a Creationist. I just find the reference interesting.

Charlie, a Creationist, as I understand it, refers to anyone who does not believe in Darwin's theory of evolution, but feels that God did actually create the world in 6 days as it is described in Genesis.

Many who do not agree with Darwin's concept of a random evolution which results in the "survival of the fittest" do believe that the universe has evolved, but by Intelligent Design, which allows for a God induced and directed evolutionary process.

So, I would guess that while many Mormons are likely to be Creationists, not all Creationists are Mormon.

But I am not an expert on the Mormon faith, which is why I downloaded a copy of your book. I want to know more about this important sect of Christian believers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Abe, I do not believe that the Judeo-Christian Bible was intended to be read as history, but as a compilation of different kinds of stories and accounts that helped to define the mythology and mindset of those ancient cultures.

An example:  The Book of Jonah.  Try reading it as a satirical look at individuals within the Hebrew tradition that were intent on a certain limited perspective.  God, in this delightful fiction, goes to great lengths to convince Jonah to broaden his worldview.  Jonah, in this view, is shown to be a very foolish man.

You may remember from reading A Myth in Action that the archetypal concept of "the belly of the whale" often, in mythical stories, tells of individuals who have to be pushed into accepting a different perspective.  Audie Murphy was in such a position whenever he was "deposited" in a new country via an LCT.

Think of Luke, Leia, and Han in The Empire Strikes Back.  It's simply a literary device.  And the Bible, read as the literature of a people, makes far more sense than it does as a history.

Oh, and BTW, Noah opened in Berlin on March 15, I believe.   It has already opened in many other European countries, including Russia and Italy as well as the UK.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 10:36 pm

alj wrote:
Abe, I do not believe that the Judeo-Christian Bible was intended to be read as history, but as a compilation of different kinds of stories and accounts that helped to define the mythology and mindset of those ancient cultures.

An example:  The Book of Jonah.  Try reading it as a satirical look at individuals within the Hebrew tradition that were intent on a certain limited perspective.  God, in this delightful fiction, goes to great lengths to convince Jonah to broaden his worldview.  Jonah, in this view, is shown to be a very foolish man.

You may remember from reading A Myth in Action that the archetypal concept of "the belly of the whale" often, in mythical stories, tells of individuals who have to be pushed into accepting a different perspective.  Audie Murphy was in such a position whenever he was "deposited" in a new country via an LCT.

Think of Luke, Leia, and Han in The Empire Strikes Back.  It's simply a literary device.  And the Bible, read as the literature of a people, makes far more sense than it does as a history.

Oh, and BTW, Noah opened in Berlin on March 15, I believe.   It has already opened in many other European countries, including Russia and Italy as well as the UK.

How do you grade the Bible as God’s delightful fiction, by comparing it to the Hollywood movies, Flood, The Empire Strikes back, and Audie Murphy? As to the director of Flood, he claims he read the Bible, but as any Bible scholar will tell you, it takes years of in-depth study to begin understanding it.

Many claim to understand God. If a man lived for ten trillion years, he would perhaps know one millionth of what God is about.

If the God of the Bible has the power to create all things, why would he lack the power to have a man in the belly of a big fish, and live? And no, the Bible does not say whale…it say, “A big Fish.”

There are many who have never read the Bible, and believe in it. There are many who have read it, and do not understand it…less people have made an in-depth study of the bible, yet many of these, myself included are still students of the Bible.

It is very easy to see if a person understands the Bible, or does not by what they say about it.

As to Jonah being a foolish man, there is nothing in the Bible that even hints at that.

You kick the Bible aside in many of your post…I suggest you first make an in-depth study so you can get your facts straight…otherwise you will sound like a Bible basher.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 2:37 am

Domenic, I have a tough time trying to understand you.  You give the impression that you are an authority on the Bible.  Even Bible scholars don’t make that claim.  If someone gives another point of view, you bash it, yet we are to accept your point of view?
A hypothetical question.  What would you likely believe?  Something you read, something you hear by word of mouth, something you hear on TV, or something you witnessed? 
I recall making a post on another subject about something I witnessed, but the incident was reported differently by the media.  Sometimes even the truth is disbelieved.  Many want to believe what they hope is truth, but dismiss truth even when there are eye witnesses.  Then there are those who base their beliefs on alleged truths as in “The word of God”, written by Scribes who based their writings on word of mouth stories.  The study of the Bible also requires study about who wrote the Bible, how it was written and in what circumstance the books of the Bible were written.  It gets to a point where one realizes that the more one learns the more one realizes how little they know.  Learning doesn’t occur with a closed mind.
Domenic, you have an inquisitive mind, and that’s great.  You seek answers.  It is my opinion that to learn something, one must be open to learning.  I know of no one who has all the answers although there are some who give that impression.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:25 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Domenic, I have a tough time trying to understand you.  You give the impression that you are an authority on the Bible.  Even Bible scholars don’t make that claim.  If someone gives another point of view, you bash it, yet we are to accept your point of view?
A hypothetical question.  What would you likely believe?  Something you read, something you hear by word of mouth, something you hear on TV, or something you witnessed? 
I recall making a post on another subject about something I witnessed, but the incident was reported differently by the media.  Sometimes even the truth is disbelieved.  Many want to believe what they hope is truth, but dismiss truth even when there are eye witnesses.  Then there are those who base their beliefs on alleged truths as in “The word of God”, written by Scribes who based their writings on word of mouth stories.  The study of the Bible also requires study about who wrote the Bible, how it was written and in what circumstance the books of the Bible were written.  It gets to a point where one realizes that the more one learns the more one realizes how little they know.  Learning doesn’t occur with a closed mind.
Domenic, you have an inquisitive mind, and that’s great.  You seek answers.  It is my opinion that to learn something, one must be open to learning.  I know of no one who has all the answers although there are some who give that impression.

Abe,

Thank you for your post…those are good questions, and they deserve an answer. If it appears to you I give the impression I am an authority on the Bible, allow me to clear that up…no I am not. All I know is what I know. Let me explain why some people appear to give that impression of being an authority on some subjects;

You live in Germany, I have never been to Germany. You could tell stories about Germany, and to me, you would be more of an authority about Germany then those like myself who have never been there. I have been studying the Bible for many years. Along with that study comes much reasoning, and proving, or disproving what is written in that book.

I have acquired the ability, through much effort, to link, and prove scriptures together. The Prophesies written in the Bible are what prove all the other scriptures to bear truth, false…or in doubt. If the Prophesies could not be proven to have come true, only a fool would believe in the Bible. God understands the thinking of man, he knows we doubt everything. He knows we would demand proof, so he gave us proof in the form of Prophesies that we can prove true. History is not always truthful, but events, or things found, we count on as truth.

You said in your post, “Learning doesn’t occur with a closed mind.” I agree with that. So why do I not listen to the many theories about God? I have heard them many times. Those who tell these theories give no proof to why they believe them…there is nothing to back them up. Would you spend your time searching for proof that the atom came from something else? No one has ever seen an atom, but science can prove it is real. If they could not prove it, who would believe it?

Most readers have read the work of Mark Twain…but how do they know those works were written by Mark Twain?

I have read his writing from when he was a reporter before he became mark Twain. It looks like the work of two different people! Do I believe Mark twain wrote what he is credited for? There are records publishers paid him for those works…that’s not much proof. The Bible has more proof it was inspired of God, than the works of Mark Twain to have been written by Sammual Clemmens.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 am

Domenic, you often make the comment: "Inspired by God".  That's a tough one to prove or disprove.
I often have an intuition about something.  Where does that come from?  I could claim that I was inspired by God and based on what I believe about the universal intelligence, it may be a valid claim.  Who could prove otherwise?  
Bush claimed that God told him to invade Iraq.  I cannot believe that.  Perhaps he worships a different God.  It is possible that his Money God was speaking to him?

Domenic, don't let the arguments against your beliefs discourage you.  Keep asking questions.  Evaluate the answers given with an open mind. 
According to the Bible, we are Gods.  We can cause things to happen with the power of thought and belief/faith.  I don't think we need to base our lives on an ancient philosophy whether it be true or false.  We are in the here and now.  Based on my personal experience that occured during my OBE, my outlook on life and the hereafter was changed.  What I believe is right for me. 
Religion and politics go hand in hand when one tries to convince another that their belief is correct.  It usually winds up as estrangement.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 am

Here is Mr. Crowe's response to the conservative criticism:

'It's A Piece Of Art!' Russell Crowe Defends 'Noah' Against Backlash From Critics Claiming It's The 'Most Challenging Film'

The Oscar-winning actor has been known for his roles in grueling action films, such as 'Gladiator', however he claims the upcoming drama based on the Noah's ark story has been the hardest to film yet after enduring the cold conditions on set in Iceland.

"We filmed in Iceland during the best summer they had for 20 years, but I never would have guessed [it was that cold] it was a very challenging place to film but unbelievably beautiful," Russell told BBC News before adding, "It was quite easily the most challenging film I have ever done, and that includes Gladiator and Cinderella Man."

Russell,49, also turned his attentions towards the wide-spread criticism from Christian and Jewish groups for straying from original texts, while the film has been banned in several areas of the Middle East with complaints that it contradicts the teachings of Islam. [This statement is incorrect. The objection from the Muslim countries was due to their belief that images of those who were viewed as prophets (including Noah) should not be depicted in any form. The film did not necessarily contradict teachings. It simply produced an image of Noah in a visual format. This particular objection was recognized and accepted.]

"People are having a very hard time with this movie because they are making assumptions about Noah and about how Noah would be, but when you actually look at it you realize those assumptions are not biblical, they are not based on the bible," Russell explained.

He added: "The vast majority are making assumptions based on children's books which were read to them when they were six or seven years old."

Russell admitted he was "surprised" by some of the backlash but will continue to take the criticism on the chin.

He added: "You don't go into this expecting everybody to like the fact that you are taking on a biblical story, but what I am probably the most surprised about is the volume of the criticism. You have a bunch of people putting their opinion on a piece of art they haven't even see yet." [He is referring here to the conservative Christian reaction to the film's interpretation.]
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Domenic, you often make the comment: "Inspired by God".  That's a tough one to prove or disprove.
I often have an intuition about something.  Where does that come from?  I could claim that I was inspired by God and based on what I believe about the universal intelligence, it may be a valid claim.  Who could prove otherwise?  
Bush claimed that God told him to invade Iraq.  I cannot believe that.  Perhaps he worships a different God.  It is possible that his Money God was speaking to him?

Domenic, don't let the arguments against your beliefs discourage you.  Keep asking questions.  Evaluate the answers given with an open mind. 
According to the Bible, we are Gods.  We can cause things to happen with the power of thought and belief/faith.  I don't think we need to base our lives on an ancient philosophy whether it be true or false.  We are in the here and now.  Based on my personal experience that occured during my OBE, my outlook on life and the hereafter was changed.  What I believe is right for me. 
Religion and politics go hand in hand when one tries to convince another that their belief is correct.  It usually winds up as estrangement.
Abe,
where in the Bible does it say we are Gods?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Aren't we made in God's image?  That sounds god-like to me, but I am definitely not a Bible scholar.  I am fascinated by the Bible and it is always my one book allowed to take to a desert Island.  The Psalms in particular are beautiful, inspirational and poetry at its finest.  Christ's stories are always great teaching pieces, and I enjoy those as well.  Then there's the history.  The Bible has much to offer in my estimation, just not quite the only truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 4:11 pm

dkchristi wrote:
Aren't we made in God's image?  That sounds god-like to me, but I am definitely not a Bible scholar.  I am fascinated by the Bible and it is always my one book allowed to take to a desert Island.  The Psalms in particular are beautiful, inspirational and poetry at its finest.  Christ's stories are always great teaching pieces, and I enjoy those as well.  Then there's the history.  The Bible has much to offer in my estimation, just not quite the only truth.

The Bible say we are made in Gods image. But we are not like God. God says, "I will have no other Gods before me." I don't know how you feel about that, as for me...that leaves me out of the group who believe they are also God. I'm just a human created to serve him as a care take of the earth for him. I like my position.  At present the world has me out of my position...So I just wait until he puts things back in order.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Quote :
Sorry, Conservative Christians, You Don't Have a Monopoly on Noah

Warning: although the story is several thousand years old, the following technically contains spoilers from Paramount Pictures’ Noah, starring Russell Crowe.

If you read anything about director Darren Aronofsky’s newest epic film Noah in the past few days, it was probably about how much Christian biblical literalists hate it. Various conservative Christians such as Rick Santorum, Rick Warren, and Brian Mattson have blasted the film for diverting from the biblical narrative, calling it “pagan” and a “subversion of the biblical story.” As Ken Ham, the President of the Creation Museum who recently “debated” Bill Nye about the validity of creationism, put it: “Ultimately, there is barely a hint of biblical fidelity in this film. It is an unbiblical, pagan film from its start.”
Excusing the fact that the biblical account of Noah is itself inconsistent (Jewish and Christian scholars have long understood the 62-verse story to be an amalgamation of two different Jewish flood narratives), Ham and others aren’t technically wrong in saying that the film deviates from the text of the Bible — it does. Aronofsky, who is Jewish by heritage but a self-described atheist, has said that his Noah is “the least Biblical Biblical film ever made,” a relatively true statement if your basis for “biblical” is “strict adherence to the written text.” For instance, while the biblical text is pretty clear that all three of Noah’s boys had spouses that made it aboard the ark, a key plot point in Aronofsky’s retelling surrounds the frustration of Ham, Noah’s second son, who resents his father for prohibiting him from bringing a wife onto the ancient vessel.
But while it’s true that Aronofsky’s Noah diverges from scripture, these critiques are ultimately an arrogant slight against beautiful Jewish tradition at work in the film. Worse, they imply that conservative biblical literalism somehow has a monopoly on Noah, a position which effectively ignores the billions of other non-literal religious people who also take the story seriously — especially Jews.
Firstly, when Aronofsky says that his film is less “Biblical,” that doesn’t mean that his film is “subversive” or any less religious — it’s just religious in ways that are unfamiliar to most biblical literalists, but common practice for most Jews and non-literal Christians. When asked how he compiled the script, Aronofsky and co-writer Ari Handel, who is also Jewish, explained that they pulled heavily from Jewish Rabbinic midrash. For the uninitiated, midrash, literally “to search out,” is an ancient Jewish tradition in which Rabbis essentially add stories to the Biblical/Tanakhical narrative for educative effect. These stories aren’t meant to be given the same authority as scripture, but are instead designed to both resolve problems of interpretation as well as expose aspects of the holy narrative that would be otherwise difficult to grasp.
Unsurprisingly, a wealth of midrash exists around the Noah narrative,
much of which can be seen in Aronofsky’s contemporary retelling. For example, the biblical account says little about how Noah actually built the ark or how other humans reacted to his project, but tomes of midrash explain in poetic detail how the prophet planted cedar trees to provide wood for construction and how he suffered persecution and mockery at the hands of other humans—two things that play a crucial part in Aronofsky’s Noah.
More importantly, even when Noah departs from both midrash and scripture, Aronofsky’s film is still itself a powerful form of contemporary midrash. In telling an extra-biblical tale of a tortured Noah, here admirably portrayed by a grizzled Russell Crowe, who is both hero (he ruthlessly protects his family from outsiders) and villain (he is still willing to kill his own if God wills it), Aronofsky raises valid religious questions about the Old Testament prophet that are rarely asked in Sunday school or Hebrew school. Through vivid and often harrowing portrayals of Noah single-mindedly following what he believes to be direct orders from on high, Aronofsky asks: what kind of faith does it take to close oneself off inside a massive floating vessel and listen, stoically, to an entire world die? Did Noah suffer from survivor’s guilt? If he didn’t, what does that say about faith, and what does all of this say about God? These questions are difficult but important, and it is only through the intentional deviation from the biblical narrative — a series of theological “what ifs?” played out in dramatic fashion onscreen — that we are confronted with them.
What’s more, in a time when evangelical Christian leaders such as Mark Driscoll and Bill Gothard are learning the hard way how righteous arrogance can get you into trouble (including deviating from source material), there are perhaps more than a few lessons to be gleaned from Aronofsky’s painfully human Noah. Indeed, midrash was encountered by a number of early and contemporary Christian theologians.
Granted, there are also valid critiques to be made of Aronofsky’s midrash. For example, his depiction of Noah as an unrelenting champion of vegetarianism/veganism, while based somewhat on scripture, is more than a little over-the-top. (Was it really necessary to show frenzied crowd of people ravenously pulling a live animal apart with their bare hands?) But if approached properly, Aronofsky’s Noah, like all good midrash, is both strikingly Jewish as well as a valuable tool for any person who takes the Noah narrative seriously—be they Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or even a secular American.
http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2014/04/02/3422173/conservative-christians-noah/
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 6:45 pm

I believe we are one with God. God is within and through every cell in the universe. God is not an old, white man with a flowing beard in a caftan.  God is not a he.  God is spirit, the force that began it all and is part of it all, including me.  At least that's how I think intellectually.  When I pray it's to an old white man with a long beard in a flowing caftan floating across a ceiling....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 6:52 pm

I hear that! It's the main reason I prefer to call that Power the Universe or the Divine, or Absolute - depending on the purpose of my communication.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 8:17 pm

In the scriptures, all three sons had a wife aboard the ark. Noah was 500 years old. One year after the start of the flood, the waters subsided. The son Ham, who is referred to as the dark skinned one, uncovered his fathers (Noah) nakedness. The interpretation of uncovered his nakedness, is a term used in the scrolls to mean, “A man who had sex with the wife of another man…thus the mans (husband of the women) nakedness was uncovered. Noah lived four hundred years after the flood...he had no more children. One can draw their own conclusions why.

Ham was the great grand father of Nimrod, who was the first man to rule over other men. Man was never authored by God to rule other men.

The movie FLOOD, is said to not adhere to scripture. A story I have been writing for over ten years, Clay of the Gods, adheres to scripture events, and people. I us dialogue which is not in the scriptures., along with miner things to bring characters to life. I can understand the writers of FLOOD doing the same, but feel major changes were not needed. The event of the flood is a big story in itself. As to people eating animals before the flood, these were the giants…sons of the angels. After the flood the vegetation was gone. It was at this time in mans history, God gave man all the animals to eat. That must have been very hard for Noah, and his family. I’m sure the idea of eating another living thing made them sick. Noah did not get drunk until after the flood. He planted grapes, and made wine…I’m sure if I went through the flood, I would have gotten as drunk as a skunk. He may have done it so he could eat an animal. The planting of grapes shows he also had plants on the ark. He was not a stupid man, he was thinking ahead.

As to God being a man...he is referred to as FATHER.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 10:38 pm

John 10:34  (Ye are Gods)
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
John 10:34  (Ye are Gods)

Abe, you took that out of what Jesus was saying. They were going to stone him for saying he was the son of God. He did not say we were Gods.
Read from, John 10: 31 to 10:37
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Google it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ye+are+gods&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:de:official&client=firefox&channel=sb

There are various references to this statement.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 6:48 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Google it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ye+are+gods&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:de:official&client=firefox&channel=sb

There are various references to this statement.

Jesus was mocking them. The Jews had written that as part of their teaching. They had many things not from God. The Jews had written, “Ye are God.” Some people today still say this.

All Jesus was doing was saying, “You wrote Ye are God…I’m just saying what you teach.”

Top Verses Profile for Matthew 19:4

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'" (NIV)
He replied, Have you never read that He Who made them from the beginning made them male and female (AMP)
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, (KJV)
Context
Modern | Expanded | Olde | All
[url=/Bible/Matthew/19/1]1 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/2]2 Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there. [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/3]3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?" [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/4]4 "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'" [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/5]5 And said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/6]6 "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/7]7 "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?" [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/8]8 Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning." [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/9]9 "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery." [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/10]10 The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry." [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/11]11 Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given." [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/12]12 "For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others have been made eunuchs; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/13]13 Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/14]14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." [/url][url=/Bible/Matthew/19/15]15 When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there. [/url](NIV)
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:57 am

One more perspective:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/04/after-noah-deluge-201447124810294467.html

Quote :
After Noah the Deluge
Why mundane cinema is more graced with new Noah film's 'godly humanity' than any church, synagogue or mosque.
Last updated: 08 Apr 2014 11:31
Hamid Dabashi

In the city of my childhood, in Ahvaz in southern Iran, we used to experience scary sandstorms followed by even more frightful thunderstorms. It would happen at just about this time of year, early in the spring, as people prepared for their spring cleaning during Nowruz, the Persian new year. The fearsome storms were followed by a merciful rain, and life's joyousness hurriedly resumed.

I vividly recall a prayer that my parents recited out loud when these sandstorms descended upon us. Half of the prayer was in Arabic, informed by our Shia faith: "La fata illa Ali, la saif illa Zulfiqar / There is no valiant man like Ali, and no sword swifter than his Zulfiqar."

Then a second, Persian half followed: "Nuh-e Peyghambar bar keshti neshast, in Do'a ra khand tufan bar neshast / Prophet Noah sat upon his ship, recited this prayer and the storm subsided."

My father stood at the doorstep to our little room, facing the frightful sky reciting this prayer, with my mother and we, the children, behind him repeating it. And the storm calmed down, and we were happy.

We never asked, and to this day I still never ask, the curious chronological question: How could the Biblical and Quranic prophet Noah know about Ali, the first Shia imam, who lived more than a millennium later - let alone recite an Arabic prayer in his honour? The prayer's elegance and efficacy overcame this naughty chronological doubt.

The figure of Noah is central to the Quran, and a whole chapter is devoted to him. But he also figures prominently in Persian poetry.

"Noah's son sat with evildoers / And so he lost his prophetic lineage!" wrote Sa'di - demonstrating the importance of keeping good company, lest one lose even the grace of being a prophet's son.

Who gets to tell our Biblical or Quranic stories? Ordinary people, poets with their superior wisdom, or the self-appointed custodians of the sacred - priests, rabbis, mullahs, professors of religious studies?

What about filmmakers - do they have the right to put their own spin on our received narratives? Darren Aronofsky's new Biblical epic Noah (2014) stormed onto the wide screen already marred by some unwanted, unnecessary, distracting controversy. Some self-appointed custodians of the sacred are outraged, and several countries have banned the film for depicting a prophet.

I stayed away from these controversies until I actually saw the film. It is a piercing humanist gloss on the epic Biblical story - with special effects (now a mixed blessing) used judiciously and proportionately. What carried the film, I thought, was the towering moral dilemma of Noah - who navigates not just a punishing deluge, but also his obedience to his God through the rocky passages of his mortal soul and fragile humanity.

I saw the film with awe and in admiration, not least because it breaks the monopoly of the institutional claim on a magnificent Biblical story that at first belonged to the Jewish people, but which then entered the Bible and the Quran. Thus, it belongs to billions of human beings - and no particular rabbi, priest, imam or cleric has any exclusive claim on it. We are the people - Jews, Christians, Muslims and (bless them all) atheists and agnostics. This is our story, and we can tell it any way we please!

Aronofsky's Noah is a man - a husband, father and soon-to-be grandfather. It is a good time in the history of humanity when we have choice to make between the Noah of Glenn Beck - who criticised the cinematic portrayal of Noah and referred to the film as a "Babylonian chainsaw massacre" - and the Noah of Aronofsky.

As a Muslim, as a man, and as a father, I have made my choice, and I am on Aronofsky's side. I revel in his judicious moral imagination. Without compromising the Biblical prophet's absolutist convictions in the commandment of his God, Aronofsky has Noah finally succumb to the fragile humanity of his soul. From the moral conundrum that torments his soul, he arrives at a superior conception of his God. His God does not speak to him except through that fragility He had enabled in the first place. And we, as creatures of that very same dialectic, are far richer in our moral imagination through this superior filmmaker than we would be through divisive Christian or Muslim televangelists.  

I watched Aronofsky's Noah with my elder son Kaveh in a movie theatre in New York. For the duration of the screening, I thought that mundane cinema was more graced with Noah's godly humanity than any church, any synagogue, any mosque and any classroom I have ever known.

Hamid Dabashi is the Hagop Kevorkian Professor of Iranian Studies and Comparative Literature at Columbia University in the City of New York. He is the author of, among other books, Shi'ism: A Religion of Protest (Harvard, 2011).

The views expressed in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera's editorial policy.

Hamid Dabashi is Hagop Kevorkian Professor of Iranian Studies and Comparative Literature at Columbia University.

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:25 am

Abe, you said:

"Domenic, you often make the comment: "Inspired by God".  That's a tough one to prove or disprove."

You claim your belief is inspired by you. Which is a tougher one to believe…and inspiration of your, or Gods?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 am

Domenic, you didn't respond to the post I made with the Web Address.  Did you read it? 

You said: "You claim your belief is inspired by you..."

Please direct me to that statement.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Domenic, you didn't respond to the post I made with the Web Address.  Did you read it? 

You said: "You claim your belief is inspired by you..."

Please direct me to that statement.

Did you not say:

"I find it difficult to accept the Bible as the literal word of God.   Admittedly it is an all-time best seller and has been a guide on how to live.  The God/Spirit within us speaks more loudly than written words."

In other word, you are trusting your own thoughts over Gods written word. When you say, within us, who are you speaking for besides yourself?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:08 pm

This is my favorite version of the story. In three parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGrbTN63H4&list=PLECD9974E32F43890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdUaTHKOYU&list=PLECD9974E32F43890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tt_YpvwrFg&list=PLECD9974E32F43890
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Leave it to the comedians to solve the dillema Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 973110 

I think Aronofsky saw these clips.  Hint:  He named the neighbor Tubal-cain.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
This is my favorite version of the story. In three parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGrbTN63H4&list=PLECD9974E32F43890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdUaTHKOYU&list=PLECD9974E32F43890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tt_YpvwrFg&list=PLECD9974E32F43890

Those are funny clips. It makes one wonder what we would have done in Noah’s place?

I think the first thing I would do is call my doctor, and tell him my pills were giving me side effects.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat   Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah Film Dangerous Disinformat
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Religion and Spirituality-
Jump to: