Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 7:11 am

I need an ebook building program for my Algebra book. Which one should I buy?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 8:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 am

Shelagh wrote:

Thanks Shelagh, but I need a computer program to build an ebook.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 1:52 pm

You should find all the information you need in the free book.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Thanks. You are a treasure for info.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 4:08 pm

I have an ebook program. The problem; I can cut and past my algebra book from word, but the pages that have calculations, won't paste. All I get in place of the calculations is little square boxes.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 4:06 am

I uploaded the ebook for An Introduction to Mechanics of Human Movement in a Word document onto Kindle. I converted all the formulae to images. This is a page from the book:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You can "Look Inside" the book here:

The formulae images show quite clearly in the preview but look more like text on a Kindle device. It took me several months, working daily, to format the book. It isn't an easy task.

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 7:32 am

Shelagh wrote:
I uploaded the ebook for An Introduction to Mechanics of Human Movement in a Word document onto Kindle. I converted all the formulae to images. This is a page from the book:

You can "Look Inside" the book here:

The formulae images show quite clearly in the preview but look more like text on a Kindle device. It took me several months, working daily, to format the book. It isn't an easy task.

That's great. If you can find the time, will you tell me the steps I need to take?
I will love you for ever if you do...and I have candy.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:07 am

1. Open the Word document with the text for the book.

3. Make a copy to work on and keep the original unedited. 

4. Close down the original copy and don't be temped to work on it. You might think you can make a copy of the edited version later, but tired minds click on "Save" and the original document is overwritten with the new edits. 

2. Scroll down to the first formula in the copied document and highlight it. 

3. Press "Copy".

4. Pull down the Edit menu and click "Paste Special".

5. A list of choices will show, scroll down to "Picture" and click it. 

6. The text will now appear as a picture. You can delete the typed formula (it's saved in the original file and won't be lost). 

7. If the picture is too large, click on it, pull down the Format menu and scroll down to "Picture".

8. Resize to your requirements,

9. You might have to play about with font size before you copy and paste to get the image size that fits best with the written text. It's all trial and error at first, but once you know the size and font type that works best, you can steam ahead. Well, crawl at snail's pace might be more appropriate! 

10. Once you are confident that you know what you are doing, you can "cut" instead of "copy" the text ready to paste in as a picture -- it saves time deleting the typed formula.

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 11:50 am

Thank you Shelagh,
I'm going to try it out...Ill let you know how it works for me.
Domenic
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 11:06 am

Last edited by LC on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Shelagh wrote:
1. Open the Word document with the text for the book.

3. Make a copy to work on and keep the original unedited. 

4. Close down the original copy and don't be temped to work on it. You might think you can make a copy of the edited version later, but tired minds click on "Save" and the original document is overwritten with the new edits. 

2. Scroll down to the first formula in the copied document and highlight it. 

3. Press "Copy".

4. Pull down the Edit menu and click "Paste Special".

5. A list of choices will show, scroll down to "Picture" and click it. 

6. The text will now appear as a picture. You can delete the typed formula (it's saved in the original file and won't be lost). 

7. If the picture is too large, click on it, pull down the Format menu and scroll down to "Picture".

8. Resize to your requirements,

9. You might have to play about with font size before you copy and paste to get the image size that fits best with the written text. It's all trial and error at first, but once you know the size and font type that works best, you can steam ahead. Well, crawl at snail's pace might be more appropriate! 

10. Once you are confident that you know what you are doing, you can "cut" instead of "copy" the text ready to paste in as a picture -- it saves time deleting the typed formula.

What is number two? you go from 1 to 3?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 2:24 pm

There are math books in ebook form, It can be done. I used what you gave me, but it did not work?
There has to be a program out there.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Last edited by LC on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:

What is number two? you go from 1 to 3?

I never was any good at maths! LOL! I probably decided that #2 wasn't necessary and deleted it.

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 3:42 pm

LC wrote:
Shelagh, that seems like a clever way to handle it. Was that for when you self-published it, though? Didn't Routledge do the formatting when they decided to publish it?

Mathematical formulas seem to be a real challenge to put in web-based or ebook. I've read discussions of this in several places. It's why you don't see more open source math and physics books; people get discouraged with how hard it is to get the numbers to show up correctly. Some use a program called LaTeX, but it still takes a lot of work.

The Introduction to Mechanics of Human Movement text is a basic mechanics book covering Newton's Laws of motion. It was first published in 1983. It went through four different publishers and finally went out of print. The rights were returned to my husband in 2006. In 2007, Elsevier published an extended version of the book. They gave back the rights in 2010. I brought the original book back into print in 2011. That year, I formatted the book for ebook distribution.

The book that Routledge is about publish in 2014 is an extended version of both book I and book II. It has 658 pages and is available for pre-order in hardback and paperback format on Amazon as well as the publisher's website.

The ebook I published is a wonderful bit of digitized material. It took months to format, but users can whizz around from chapter to chapter and section to section at the click of a mouse. I formatted a book for Abe the same year and published the third anthology in the Forever series. I was completely burnt out by January, 2012.

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 9:41 pm

I did it your way Shelagh. It past into pictures as a white page. I can open it. It opens in word, I again copy it, but it won't open in the ebook program? Same little square box?
I always knew women were smarter than men.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 12:50 am

Women smarter than men?  When did that become a question?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 4:28 am

I did it your way Shelagh. It past into pictures as a white page. I can open it. It opens in word, I again copy it, but it won't open in the ebook program? Same little square box?

You didn't follow the instructions, Domenic.

Paste Special in the Word version I use looks like this:

Your version may look like one of these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is what you should see:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I couldn't find an image with "Picture (Metafile)" highlighted for a Word document. The image on the right shows Picture highlighted for an Excel document. 

This example is written in French, but it shows all the symbols pasted into the text as pictures:

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 6:22 am

Shelagh wrote:

You didn't follow the instructions, Domenic.

Paste Special in the Word version I use looks like this:

Your version may look like one of these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is what you should see:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I couldn't find an image with "Picture (Metafile)" highlighted for a Word document. The image on the right shows Picture highlighted for an Excel document. 

This example is written in French, but it shows all the symbols pasted into the text as pictures:

This all I have one mine:

Formatted text (RTP)
Unformatted Unicode Text
Dos Text (OEM Format)
Unformatted text
Enhanced Picture

I follow what is on your list.., but I don't have picture, I only have Enhanced Picture?

I copy
paste special
Enhanced Picture.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 9:20 am

If you don't have the tools, Domenic, you can't do the job.

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 10:38 am

I have tools. My word program seems to lack tools. It's an old word program.
Which word do you have?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 11:18 am

mine is word 7 which one did you use?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Microsoft Office XP Professional (version 10).

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Microsoft Office XP Professional (version 10).

If I get word 10, will I lose all my files in word 7?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED Empty

Back to top Go down

EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: