Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What makes a "good" politician?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

What makes a "good" politician? Empty
PostSubject: What makes a "good" politician?   What makes a "good" politician? EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 12:29 pm

I've posted about this before.  Personally, I tend to think that "good politician" is an oxymoron, but, at the same time, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.  I tend to agree with Machiavelli, who claims that a moral man is not a good leader, because s/he becomes too trappped in hi/r morals to be able to governin the best interests of the whole.

The circumstances that are bringing me into this current position were started when Bill Clinton pulled away from President Obama and sis stand on the ACA.  Ir didn't surprise me; it was the pragmatic thing to do since his wife is likelyto run for president in 2016.  He. maybe more than anyone else, knows that it is wise for a potential candidate for election during the 2nd term of a standing president, who is, by his lame duck status, going to become the scapegoat for every thing that is wrong with the party.

It is ironic because Clinton learned this lesson when his improper behavior with Monica Lewinsky provided the means for the  election of George W. bush over Clinton's vice-president, Al gore.  So now, having learned form his own past experience - on the other side of the issue - he is dinsancing himself (and his wife), from any similar fallout.  It is a sound pragmatic response.  He earned from hos own mistakes, in a way.  I can hear him saying to Obama, "Don't make my mistake. Be willing to sacrifice your own term for the greater good of progressive politics."

Anyway, thinking such thoughts helps be get beyond the immediate moment, and my admirtion for President Obama grows.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What makes a "good" politician?   What makes a "good" politician? EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 2:10 pm

A good politician is one who demonstrates an ability to conduct a successful campaign.

A good leader is one who puts the interests of the people above all others, even when what is good for the people is not what is preferred by the people or the opposition.

A good politician goes with the flow. A good leader defines and influences the flow.

A good politician has supporters in high places. A good leader has supporters in all places.

Too often, the good politician and the good leader are not the same person.

Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What makes a "good" politician?   What makes a "good" politician? EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 2:12 pm

All to true, Al
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What makes a "good" politician?   What makes a "good" politician? EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 am

Agree Al.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a "good" politician?   What makes a "good" politician? Empty

Back to top Go down

What makes a "good" politician?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: All Political Discussions-
Jump to: