Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Laughter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10257
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:46 am

Laughter is good medicine.

Sometimes laughter comes from natural things, i.e., doing something silly or stupid.
I was helping my wife hang up clothes to dry on the balcony.  (We still hang our clothes out to dry.  My wife doesn’t want a dryer for numerous reasons).  I hung up my son’s shirt.  My wife started to laugh and I didn’t know why. Then she pointed to the shirt.  I started laughing also.  The more we looked at the shirt, the harder we laughed.  If I tried, I don’t think I could hang another shirt the same way.
Each day, we wind up finding something to laugh at.  Afterward, we both feel much better.
Have you ever tried to stop laughing, and the harder you tried, the harder you laughed?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15305
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 am

Yes .  Trying not to laugh is very difficult.  Once as a teenager
I was in church.  It was communion.  The deacon serving me caused the grape juice to spill on me. 
He was so disgusted with himself he made faces and I died laughing. 
The more I tried to, stop, the more I laughed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 am

Laughter is also contageous in a positive sense. 
The same is true with a smile or a frown.  We do affect those around us.  Why not make them feel good with laughter?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8592
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:02 am

The newspaper printed a list of the top 24 things that lead to long life - and laughter was right up there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
DMPierson
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:26 pm

You're absolutely right. Whenever I feel down or depressed, I simply watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tf1K1P2Skw

and I'm perfectly fine right afterwards.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for the great laugh!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Sometimes laughter is our way of avoiding pain. Not that it isn't a good thing, but those around us might not understand.

My father was in a private room in a Houston hospital.  We all knew he would not be leaving the hospital, that his life was down to a number of hours, at most days.  My mom, my brother, and I had some difficult decisions to make.  Some parts of those decisions were dependent on exactly what insurance would cover and how.  My brother made a call to the hospital's insurance department.

What we heard him say, in a very businesslike tone,  was, "Hello, this is Bill Levingston, and I'm here at the hospital....[at this point he was apparently interrupted by the attendant on the other end of the line.] "Oh," he said appreciatively but with a slight, self-deprecating laugh, "I'm feeling just fine, Ma'am..."  He paused for a second or two before finishing, "It's my father who is ill...."

Mom, Sharon (my sister-in-law) and I all collapsed into peals of laughter while everyone around us just stared in disapproval.

Maybe you just had to know my brother.

Anyway, for several weeks after, including funeral preparations and wakes, all one of had to do to help keep the others going was to say, mimicking that voice: "It's my father who is ill," and we would lose it all over again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12325
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

You've got to laugh, haven't you?

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Yes, Shelagh, unless your team has just lost the minor premiership for the season:

There have been some unfavorable comments re this pic, but wouldn't they have been worse if he were smiling?

But no major worries.  It just means they go into the finals in 2nd place rather than 1st.  The main honor is still up for grabs.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:55 am

You just made me laugh, Ann. You, not RC. Or more specifically, your crowing. I should have known that you would find a way of slipping him in. Laughing

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:11 am

Well, I couldn't exactly put it on my joy thread.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:27 am

No laughing matter. 

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 am

It has been said and most agree that Laughter is good medicine. 
Laughter is also contagious.  Laughter can be difficult to stop.

An example of this happened last night.  My wife and I sat on our balcony.  It overlooks our garden and has a view of distant fields and trees.  It is something she enjoys and having just returned from the hospital, she wanted to sit on the balcony, have a Schnapps (or wine) and just enjoy the night breeze that helped to cool down the intense heat of the day.  As we sat there, we heard the sounds of fireworks and I wondered why.  She thought it possible that there was some event commemorating the bombing of Japan that happened some seventy years ago in August.  I recounted the blackouts in the small village of Rossville, Pennsylvania after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  We didn’t have TV at that time, but listened to the radio.  There were broadcasts suggesting that the Japanese would bomb the interior of the US and black-out procedures were instituted.  We closed our blinds and turned off lights that may be visible to the outside.  Considering the small and remote village of Rossville, it stimulated much amusement.  I told her that in our village they were afraid they would have to start speaking Japanese and were having trouble speaking English.  That was the beginning of belly laughs that only increased with adding-on to that statement.  I couldn’t stop laughing and every word spoken increased the laughter.  I held my stomach trying to stop the pain I was still having from the operation.  The more I tried to stop laughing, the more things came to mind that stimulated even more laughter.  I had tears running from my eyes as we tagged on other stupid remarks about the village of Rossville and what might happen if we were invaded. 
My wife kept saying, “Stop it!”  The more she tried to get me to stop, the greater the urge to laugh became.  The wine did nothing to stop the laugher; in fact it may have helped fuel the desire.  It was a fun evening; however I eventually was compelled to take a pain pill to relieve the pain in my stomach. 
Once one starts laughing, especially at stupid things, the impulse to laugh is increased.   Just thinking about a reply/response to what the other person said made it difficult to say what was on my mind as I couldn’t stop laughing long enough to say it.  The laughter continued until we were too exhausted to say anything more.  Eventually we retired for the night and this morning I mentioned the laughter of the night before and what started it.  My wife said: “Please don’t start that again.  I don’t think I can handle another session like that.”  Then she told me that she had a tough time getting to sleep just thinking about the absurdity of the comments we made.  
It was fun.  It was something needed, painful and still gratifying.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:16 am

Just a sign of how glad you are to be back together, Abe. When you are happy, you will laugh at anything.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:27 am

I think you're right, Shelagh.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:40 am

Keeping in mind that expressing the fear we kids had during this imagined crisis to someone who actually lived through the war as a six-year old, running to air raid shelters, hearing the bombs drop, etc., etc., sounded very amusing.  I recall saying that the men got out their shotguns and rifles, oiled them and were ready to repel an invasion.  She cracked-up.  On top of that I told her that the Japanese Zeros probably had us in their sights and that the Kamikaze pilots were targeting our main culture center – our one room schoolhouse where we actually had adults in the village that graduated from the eighth grade who feared losing their education to a foreign power.  Then there was the feed mill in town that most likely was a strategic target.  If farmers had no feed for the cows, chickens, horses or pigs, how would we survive?  Perhaps you get an idea of the cause of so much hilarity.  One stupid remark on top of another.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:11 am

I don't remember my mom smiling much when I was young.  We mostly quarreled.  Now, when she visits me in the winter, some of our best times are when silly things get us laughing and feeling that since of love and camaraderie.  Yes, when we are thankful for our blessings, laughter is certainly one of them.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 4321
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Abe, you have some very special memories..  No one can see those memories through your eyes. 
Sometimes I try to remember just how things looked, how the street was, how I walked down it, what the shops looked like, what the grass looked like in the side of the sidewalk and how the broken glass trash glittered along the way, what I wore, how cold my feet were, the apple trees over the fence...all those childhood things that collect in my memory and color my days. A collage of my youth. 
I am glad of your laughing, your love of your wife and hers of you.  You are a lovely, lucky man.
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Laugh and the world laughs with you...

I couldn't help but smile reading your post.  Mostly because your bride was back home and can laugh with you.

God Bless,
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Your comments make me smile.  I imagine if we got together and someone started talking about something amusing, that it would take off and we would all be rolling in laughter.

Betty, reminiscing is a good thing.  In the first place, it tells us that our memory faculty is still working. Very Happy.  I think our memories are most vivid about positive things with the exception of something extremely bad or dramatic.

As Don said, "Laugh and the world laughs with you."  It's a reminder of how much influence we have over those around us.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:08 pm

My family were great at laughing.  it didn't take much to  get them going and I can recall Mom nearly  collapsing after reading a funny Reader's Digest joke.

Her favorite was:

After finally getting a job drilling oil, the workman accidentally dropped his hammer down the very deep shaft. It took days to retrieve it and cost thousands.

When finally it was recovered, his boss handed it to him and snarled YOU ARE FIRED!.

'"Oh,"  said the workman, I guess I won't need this any more then." and dropped it down the shaft."

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Thanks for stirring a happy memory of my folks,, Abe.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:57 am

As I checked out of the hospital this morning, the nurse said: "Until the next time."  I replied:  "I hope never to see you again."  She smiled and said, it was Appendicitis, yes?" 
"Yes", I replied, and then said:  "They tell me it is rare on someone my age and that it happens to people younger.  Perhaps I have a young body."  She started laughing and I with her.  Then I grabbed my stomach as I didn't want the pain starting again.  That made her laugh harder - and so it goes.  I told that to my wife and she started laughing and said:  "Not that again.  Stop it!"

I'm beginning to wonder about the "lauigher being the best medicine" thing.  If it can cause pain, perhaps that needs some tweaking. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:53 am

Abe,

Don't pop your stiches.  Glad you are feeling better.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:02 am

That could be it, Alice. 
You have heard people say, "They had me in stitches."  Perhaps that should be:  "They tore my stitches." Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laughter   

Back to top Go down

Laughter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: