Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Johnny Appleseed idea.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

The Johnny Appleseed idea. Empty
PostSubject: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I   know that I have put this idea forth several years ago.  The idea that part of the easement from your fence line that is still your property that connects to the line that the county maintains ( if ever, in the country) to do with as you wish.   Mostly, it is overgrown with Ceasar Weed and other noxious plants that spew seeds onto the part of your property that you try to maintain as a lawn.  I consider that a person, such as I, could plant (not pinto beans, that was my last idea) herbs.  Herbs, such as parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and also cilantro, dill weed....maybe an artichoke..
Willy Nilly.  Let the chips fall. 
I can imagine walking along a little road such as ours and discovering these lovely plants. 
It would not take mre than picking the seed heads and having a walk along the dirt road and dropping the seeds.
Given enough people dropping seeds would change the backroads, for sure. 
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Everyone could take a little thyme to smell the rosemary

The Johnny Appleseed idea. 26
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Arrow Arrow 
I have one of those upside down tomato things that the tomatoes did not grow in, but the herbs did.  It is in the middle of my small rose garden by the porch.  When it rains, the herbs smell so very nice.  I have a bush basil, a lemon thyme, a german thyme and two kinds of oregano in it.  It is the perfect size for us.  A salad with some fresh herbs sprinkled on sparkles!  

I got to thinking about the cilantro and the dill weed.  They are both very large plants that self seed willy nilly with the wind.  I believe I will put those two out front for the beginning.  I do believe that my neighbors will do something equally astounding, as well.  hahahah.  The nice thing will be that the plants will come up every spring and last all summer and into late fall. 

Several years, at least 30, the Lester's of Lester's field scattered some Indian Blanket seeds along the easements.  Now, every spring and summer our little dirt road is lined with the beautiful Indian Blanket.  It was one of the reasons we bought this property. 
At our gate, I planted some purple lantana and, in the shady part, some varigated ginger.  But, I never get the time to maintain that area very well.  Most of the large herb plants and many annual flowers grow like weeds.  I am impressed with the ability of the Cosmos to re-seed it's self.  It is tall, like the dill weed and the cilantro (coriander) and against the barbed wire shoud do fine. 

I remember the story of the daffodils on the mountain.  The lady planted them one by one and in her very old age, the whole mountain was a beautiful sight to see..a legacy of her gardening efforts.   
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 3:37 pm

I love the idea.  You do so well growing in Fl Betty.  The bugs eat everything I plant except marigolds that don't smell wonderful - they don't smell bad - just not wonderful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Betty, you need to post to a wider audience...so it can catch on everywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Diane,
You make me cry that some one can see what I see, and a person so beautiful as your self.  I am whiping tears...  I have to cook dinner...I will get back.  Those wild kind of marigolds in between...
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Betty, your idea is valid.  It is being used in part, where I live.  There are even strawberry patches planted near the highway for people to pick their own.  A box is placed where people can place any donation they wish, but there is no cost.  That is also true with nut and almond trees along the highway, free for those willing to partake.  When the trees bloom, they are beautiful.  Orchards are also a source for fruit.  When the fruit is harvested, they take only the unblemished fruit and the rest remain hanging.  Nothing wrong with blemished fruit.  The grape harvest will begin in late September.  Many Winzer (grape growers) don't harvest everything.  What remains hanging are free to the public. 
If one is hungry, a bit of work to harvest should not be an issue.  If one waits for someone else to do the work, they can expect to pay.  At this time of the year, mushrooms are beginning to flourish.  Knowing what to pick is the key.  Books are available to identify the good from the bad (poisonous) mushrooms.  When in doubt, there is always someone to ask.  In every instance, it requires some effort on the part of the person to gather (harvest).  No one should starve - ever.  There is so much growing in the wild that goes to waste.  You work, you eat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny Appleseed idea.   The Johnny Appleseed idea. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Johnny Appleseed idea.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Homes and Gardens-
Jump to: