Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Liferich Publishing?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NormaGold

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-05-16

Liferich Publishing? Empty
PostSubject: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:52 am

Has anyone heard of LifeRich Publishing? They are a new division of Reader's Digest.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:28 am

Are you publishing with them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:11 am

I am debating between Friesen press and Liferich. Each is offering a marketing program with their package. I don't know who to publish with.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12599
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Norma,

On the Welcome board, you said that you wanted to find a publisher rather than self-publishing. I checked out Liferich and it is a self-publishing package on offer:

"Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., the global multibrand and multiplatform media and direct marketing company, has launched LifeRich Publishing — a self-publishing imprint created in partnership with indie book publishing leader Author Solutions, Inc. (ASI) — with the goal of assisting established and aspiring authors in publishing and marketing their books. Under the new LifeRich Publishing imprint, authors will benefit from support services including editing, design, marketing and education resources specially created by Reader’s Digest editors. Books will be published in print, e-book or audio formats, with additional distribution in Reader’s Digest Association’s online properties."

You will be asked to pay for all the services they are offering. Friesen Press also offer self-publishing packages. The cheapest will cost $899.

Liferich Publishing? 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:02 am

Do they charge to publish with them? I would be concerned about paying to have my book published. There are many self-publishing tools that do not require payment up front. I know too many people who have paid to have their book published by a vanity press and end up with a garage full of books.

Many people on this forum can advise you regarding publishing options that are no cost up front. Createspace at Amazon.com and Lulu.com come to mind first.

If your book is worthy of publication, you might want to submit it to the many small presses that also do not charge any fees but gain their costs from your book sales (to the public, not to yourself).

I had many vanity presses tell me what a great book I had for publication and then the fees were listed for all their "packages."

My experience with friends who bought "marketing packages" is that they basically include press releases (you can do that yourself at freepressrelease.com) for online sites, referral to blogging sites, referral to review sites, listing at online booksellers (which happens as soon as you are listed at Amazon.com anyway), their web site for you (and you are expected to draw traffic to the web site) and a blog. You can get a free web site at several places - I like webs.com and you can get a free blog at lots of places - I prefer Wordpress.com

Hope this helps. It doesn't answer your question though.

You need your book "vetted" by a non-biased person to be sure it's one that will sell before you pay to have it published. Vanity presses intend for you to buy the books. Often, no one else will buy the books they publish though there are always exceptions to every situation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:09 am

I see we posted at the same time, Shelagh. Self-publishing with the major presses that have a new self-publishing imprint is becoming standard and is confusing to new authors. They want to get on the very profitable bandwagon of people dying to see their thoughts in print - even if they have no proof anyone will buy their books.

At least vetting by a small press that makes its money selling books to the public, not to the authors and their friends, is a better bet to determine whether a novel has commercial value. Small presses know their market and what sells. They will reject a book that won't sell at least enough copies to recoup their cost and make a few bucks for their business and the author.

I vote for actual self-publishing rather than the smoke screen of some real publisher in the sky that won't touch the book even though their "self-publishing imprint" prints it. If it's good enough for the publisher, let their main line imprint print it at no cost to the author - and maybe even an advance.
Back to top Go down
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:24 am

How do I find out the names of the many small presses that publish if they feel the book is worthy?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12599
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:41 am

I left a list of non-fiction publishers on your Welcome thread.

Liferich Publishing? 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ Liferich Publishing? 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Thank you
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Shelagh is a great resource. You can rely on her information.
Back to top Go down
HaroldLee
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
HaroldLee

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:08 am

Start at the top, with the best publishers, and work your way down. If you want to be published, you might as well go with the best.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptySat May 18, 2013 7:29 am

HaroldLee wrote:
Start at the top, with the best publishers, and work your way down. If you want to be published, you might as well go with the best.

Good advice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks again. I have emailed several publishers from the list.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:39 am

Norma,

There are too many vanity presses masquerading as traditional publishers today. If you are asked to pay for editing, marketing, setup, cover design, etc. you're dealing with a vanity press. Likewise oif you're asked to buy books in bulk "packages" that you may or may not ever be able to sell at any price, let alone at a profit. My advice without exception is "stay away."

It is always preferable in my view to publish with a traditional publisher if possible. Unfortunately, that is something that has become harder these days, especially for writers without representation from a known agency and without prior publications with traditional publishers. If you decide to go it the independent route, i would suggest a no-cost just-in-time publisher like CreateSpace. It (and others like it) will also offer pricey editing, formatting and marketing services. Before you jump in to any of these, make sure that you get advice from colleagues who have used them as to their quality and effectiveness.

The bottom line for me is that if you self-publish, you should expect to do the marketing yourself or your book will not sell regardless of what pricey marketing packages you purchase from the outfit that prints your book. You will be the publisher and you will have the responsibility for getting your book noticed. That is not an easy or pleasant job for most people. Keep that in mind.

You're doing the right thing by asking questions and have a very good start towards finding the right answers for you in the advice of our colleagues above. I know we all wish you the very bet of luck with this and future projects.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
Kevin_Gray_ASI

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:43 am

Norma,
It is an exciting time to publish a book, as there are a lot of options ranging from DIY to full-service publishing services like LifeRich, which offers authors 24/7 customer support, access to unique promotional opportunities through Reader’s Digest’s many media platforms and distribution to in print and all e-book formats.

The best path for an individual author depends on a number of factors including budget, marketing expertise, design and layout abilities and the time you have to devote to the publishing process. This whitepaper – the Four Paths to Publishing – was written by self-publishing thought leader and published author Keith Ogorek to help clearly define the publishing choices available to authors today. Reading it may be helpful to you as you explore the ever-changing publishing landscape.

Whether you choose LifeRich, another publishing service or decide to do-it-yourself (DIY), writing and publishing a book is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations!

Regards,
Kevin Gray
Author Solutions
kgray @authorsolutions.com
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 8:14 am

Quote :
This whitepaper – the Four Paths to Publishing – was written by
self-publishing thought leader and published author Keith Ogorek to help
clearly define the publishing choices available to authors today

Perfect example of what Victor just said about too many vanity presses masquerading as publishers. A quick Amazon search will show that Keith Ogorek is not a "published author," he's a "vanity press author."

And AuthorSolutions is a vanity press. It won't stop Kevin and thousands like him from calling themselves publishers, though. Oh well, caveat emptor.
Back to top Go down
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 8:19 am

I gathered I was looking at an advertisement. It's discouraging, just received another reject from a legit publisher. They said they weren't sure it would be marketable.
Norma
Back to top Go down
HaroldLee
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
HaroldLee

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:01 am

Well Norma keep trying.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:34 am

Norma, at least you are getting a real letter and not a form letter or no response. Until you have received a rejection from everyone there is still hope.
Back to top Go down
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I'll keep trying, but first, and laugh if you must, am paying for a psychic to tell me what she sees if anything to give me hope.
Norma
Back to top Go down
HaroldLee
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
HaroldLee

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 11:04 am

Off all the reasons, the fact they can't see how to market your book is a good sign. Which means they liked it but just couldn't find a way to make money off it. Keep trying because you may just have something.
Back to top Go down
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 11:28 am

Gee, I thought it was just another rejection. I haven't send any submissions to the publishing companies who require paper submissions. I guess that's next. Thanks for lifting my hopes.
Norma
Back to top Go down
NormaGold

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 11:31 am

Just received another rejection. This one said they ran a small publishing company in a small town and didn't want to be the recipients of any violence. I suppose it's good that I got a personal reply. It takes a bit of sting out of the rejection.
Norma
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Get used to rejection. The first Harry Potter book was rejected several times.

Don't pay anybody for anything. Ask here first.

Here's a good resource. Click her Writer Beware tab.

http://www.victoriastrauss.com/

Self-publishing is a viable approach now. Things have changed a lot in the past couple of years.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:10 pm

There once was a sort of "snobbery" appeal to having a "real" publisher. It allows you to pay the big fee to become a member of the author's guild and gets pre-publication reviews.

However, I imagine all that will change too. Personally, I would rather have a small press do my publishing and take a bit of the profit for their trouble.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liferich Publishing?   Liferich Publishing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Liferich Publishing?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: