Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA

Go down 
+3
dkchristi
Betty Fasig
joefrank
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA Empty
PostSubject: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 5:07 pm

3/23/2013
WHen my 2nd book " Dusty," was ready I was going to do a special author's page
with a few lines from the author then sign the page with my signature, a friend told
me don't ever put your signature on a public document, it could be copied, what is
your opinion ? Mine , maybe their right....
Cheers.Joe....SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Dear Joe,

I have not done this myself because the demand for my signature in the books that I have sold has not been astronomical. I think is is something you have to work out for your own self. If you sell the book from your own house, you can have a sticker that you sign and affix. Other than that, if someone wants your personal signature on a book they buy, you would have to send them a sticker. Other people may know more how this is done.

Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 pm

You can make very attractive sticker, book plates on your computer and then send them to buyers of your books. I did prepare some, but no one requested them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 10:56 pm

What else are you going to put on the book if someone asks you to sign it? i suppose you could put your initials. Has there been any problems with authors having their signature copied then used for nefarious purposes? Just wondering. I don't mind a sticker, but to slap a sticker on the book after someone buys it and asks you to sign it seems a bit impersonal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stephenbrayton.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 11:52 pm

The times that people have asked for a signed copy, I've written a short personal note and just signed my nickname "Don"
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 am

I always put D K. Christi in books over the typed signature when asked. I also write notes and sign them DKC. The book plates are for those who buy books from Amazon & B.N. and online bookstores and then want a signature. Except that has only happened once. I have plenty of beautiful book plates though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Whoever worries about autograph theft?
They would need more than that to impersonate us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 pm

joefrank wrote:
3/23/2013
WHen my 2nd book " Dusty," was ready I was going to do a special author's page
with a few lines from the author then sign the page with my signature, a friend told
me don't ever put your signature on a public document, it could be copied, what is
your opinion ? Mine , maybe their right....
Cheers.Joe....SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA 925501

My opinion is that they are paranoid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 am

One can have more than one signature. The signature one uses for signing a book can be different from the signature one uses for a check or other legal documents.
A signature by itself is not something to treasure. A note that goes with the signature is important. I treasure the signed copy I have of Don's books and from Dick Stodghill. With the signature was a note that makes it special.
I treasure the note from Jimmy Carter that he signed, "Jimmy". That was not his Presidential signature. Signing it, "Jimmy" made his note more personal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA   SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA Empty

Back to top Go down

SIGNING A BOOK WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ? GOOD IDEA -BAD IDEA
Page 1 of 1