Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Who are These People?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15666
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Who are These People?   Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 pm

The government aid haters are always talking about moochers who will not work. I don't know anyone like this.
I know some who can't find jobs, but they are looking and trying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10627
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Alice, I too see posts about moochers defined as those who are on welfare. I silently hope that some of these people experience the humiliation and plight of those who need a hand up to survive. When one cannot find employment where can they turn? Family is the usual course, however what happens when other family members have the same plight?

It is easy to sit on the sidelines and judge without looking beneath the surface. Of course there are those who take advantage. Should everyone be punished or labled for the sins of the few? I think not.
Back to top Go down
teniffog

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 am

Unfortunately, a small percentage of people take advantage of every loophole in life they can. Then society labels the entire group based these peoples behavior. We do that with every group of people. You always here;poor people are moochers, rich people are selfish and greedy, politician are liars. OK, that last on might be true:)

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 am

If there's anyone "mooching" on the public dole it's the corporate recipients of oil subsidies, farm subsidies, energy subsidies and the multiple loopholes available to the very wealthy with the money to hire lawyers and accountants to find legal ways to not pay taxes while raking in subsidies, tax breaks and more. They have a choice.

I did pull unemployment insurance for six months during another recession. In Florida that's enough to pay the rent and nothing more. There's no "incentive" to draw unemployment.

To qualify for "welfare" you need to be destitute. Your life is lines. It's so easy to say things about other people sitting in a comfy house drawing Social Security, Medicare and a pension.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:35 pm

2/28/2013
I read an article the other day I think it was CNN, about
people in their 50's and those not even 62 yet who have been
out of work for a year or more and they all say the same thing
Employeers don't want older people, they want younger ones so
they can pay a lower,much lower salary, one woman who was 58
was told after an interview " Your Over Qualified." We all know what
that means, several years ago during an interview I was told those
same exact words, my reply was: " Do You Mean I'm Too Old !" You
should see the look I got and she knew it was the truth ! In a way I'm
happy I don't have to go through that anymore, I did my 45 years, I'm
retired, I feel sorry for those people 40-60 and there are millions of
them who can't find a job, employeers from what I've read in the last two
years are being picky since they know there are over 10 Million people
out of work......
Cheers....Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15666
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Tough situation and then to be demeaned because they aren't working. There are plenty of hardworking poor people now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Joe, I think many of we older folk heard that expression, "You're over qualified". Sometimes it is true. Selling used cas when one has a science degree can mean you are overqualified to be a car sales person, however in most cases it means "You're over the hill."

When one needs a job, the ego must be shoved. Doing whatever it takes to eat and/or support a family means doing anything. Getting an employer to hire you is the biggest hurdle. I went through that in desperation, lying about my experience to get the job at an entry level. Usually we try to build up our background/experience. There are times when that works against you. If you know what you want, do whatever it takes to get it. Your worth will be proven on the job and your advancement more rapid than if they expected more than you could produce.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 am

I am fortunate to write for the newspaper. Age is not a factor. It was a lucky break. It's an odd thing to go from having skills highly in demand and unique to being useless because of age. Yet, we have a senate and higher end government officials making the rules for the country that are elderly. Board chairmen and CEO's are often up in years, though not always.

Everything in life is timing. My teaching and administration credentials are due for renewal. Should I invest the $1000 in university credit hours to renew the teaching credentials? Will anyone hire me to teach? Or administer a school? Shall I pay the $60 Groupon bargain rate to have my resume written to hide age and over qualification to find a mid level job?

I thought I would teach in a university until I dropped. However, they even prefer the young.

Life's plans and how they turn out are certainly different. In my community, the elder volunteer their skills and create a whole new lifestyle around volunteer organizations. It helps the community and puts life into the old soul. When you need an income to survive, however, those volunteer hours are less appealing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 am

DK. When I was unemployed and desperately seeking a job, I had the idea to start a company that catered to older people. An employment agency just for Seniors. The merit of hiring older people are many. Being reliable is just one.

Wish I could advise you on the teaching thing. I think you already have a handle on that and it doesn't look good. Spending the money, just in case, doesn't seem a good idea. Being willing to become certified, if needed, may be just as good.

The job I finally landed I got through a Temp Agency. They were looking for someone more mature who could function with little or no supervision. I took the job although it paid less than I wanted, however my objective was to prove myself and then become indispensable. After about 3 months I was hired by the company with full-time status, benefits and a raise. I became the Procurement Manager for North America working for Fokker Aircraft with a contract. Lots of travel and many fringes. I did not renew my contract and retired from that job.

Getting in the door is important. I don't believe I would have obtained a job with that company if I had applied direct. The head office was in Holland. I flew often to Holland and had an apartment there - paid by the company.

Hang in there. One never knows our value until tested.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who are These People?   

Back to top Go down

Who are These People?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: All Political Discussions-
Jump to: