Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? Empty
PostSubject: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:31 am

I contribute nothing over the phone and buy nothing by phone.

I am on the no call list.

They still pester me. What to do?

Disconnect the phone?

5:40 am is an annoying hour to be jarred awake by them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10704
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:56 am

Alice, the next time you get a call, ask the person for their telephone and that you will call them back. I don't think they will give you one, but if they do, call them at 3 AM and then hang up.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 am

I have caller ID and redialed immediately. I said "PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME!"
A sassy lady said, "You called me."
I said , "Yes-- after You called and woke me up."
What a nightmare.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:29 am

Alice,

This is a huge problem for us too. Even worse is the collection agencies that call to collect for SOMEONE ELSE and refuse to stop calling when they are told that they are contacting the wrong number. I get lots of those as well.

Here is the link to the Do Not Call link to report violators. https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2 Every time I get a call I report the number. If the federal government does its job and prosecutes these people, the fines are significant (Up to $16,000 per call if, for example, a third-party telemarketer ignores a request to not call again on behalf of a charity). Report these people--it is a pain but is the only tool we have to discourage these abusive calls. Report also harassing calls to your local telephone company--they are supposed to follow up and forward offenders to the authorities.

Of course, the National Do Not Call Registry has some glaring exceptions such as solicitations by charitable organizations and charlatans also known as politicians. I deal with these by telling the offenders that is is my policy to never contribute to a charity that solicits funds by phone or vote for a politician that calls me at home to solicit my vote or sing his/her own praises. And I usually follow that rule. Unfortunately, so-called "charitable organizations" use telemarketers to whom they pay hefty fees to solicit funds that sometime go mostly to pay for the telemarketers' services. I support local law enforcement, but will NEVER give a nickle to the "sheriff's associations" in various forms that make calls that seem to come from a local law enforcement officer but are really telemarketers masquerading as your local deputy asking for money, and I always tell them to remove my name from their calling list. The money can go largely to the third-party solicitor of the funds, not the charity you think is calling you.

I have no problem with charities sending me solicitations by mail. I NEVER contribute to a charity--even if it is a charity I support--in response to a telephone solicitation. If others adopted a similar policy, these calls would stop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am

Victor,

Thank you for jogging my mind about the collection agents. We were pursued relentlessly by collection charmers who were downright unpleasant and accusatory.

They slapped leans on our houses and drove us nuts. They were unbearable.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:08 am

The thing with those collection agents is, they get faulty information from intelius.com and similar data-gathering websites. We're linked to strangers with the same last name on those sites, and have gotten numerous calls over the years asking for those strangers. It's a hassle to explain that we don't know who the hell the person they're looking for is, and I always worry they won't believe us and take further action.

When I was visiting my parents recently, their landline rang constantly with solicitor calls. Once you get on a sucker's list you never get off, "do not call" registry or not.

Re the calls to donate to police and fireman funds -don't even get me started on those scams. Even if they weren't scams, I wouldn't donate a cent. What the hell for? They already make more than most people.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 am

LC,

I hear you.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 am

I no longer have a landline. Everyone I know has a different ringtone. Anyone I don't know rings a sweet, gentle harp trill. I know not to answer it. If the call is important, they will leave a message and I choose whether or not to answer.

Done deal; no longer my problem.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 am

You are wise.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Well, my parents have Caller ID, so it's not like they can't see that they don't know the caller. In fact, my dad says, "if they call from a such-and-such number, I don't know them. So why are you picking up the phone? I guess old habits die hard. He thinks it might be someone important.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 pm

It is infuriating to be wakened We have a 92 year old mother who could need assistance so don't dare turn our ringer off.

A quick look confirms it is not her, but I can't resist answering and saying, " Please do not call me."
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Tele-marketing is an American invention and as with most things, it spreads world-wide, where permitted.
When I was unemployed and living in Atlanta, I received a call from a temp agency asking me if I wanted to make some extra money. Of course I was. They had a call center and the target was Germany and needed people who spoke German. The calling time from the US was in the middle of the night (from 2 AM to 6 AM) I remember calling and saying this was a call from America. The man got excited. He had submitted a manuscript to an American Agent and thought he was getting a call about his book.
I lasted just two nights and couldn’t continue. Getting a call from America did get good responses, however it was misleading and downright wrong.

Here in Germany tele-marketing is illegal. If you report someone, action is taken. I think our freedom is too free. Freedom to annoy others, to mislead, etc., is not a good thing. I don’t get those annoying calls where I now live. When I visited my daughter in Virginia just prior to the election, the phone rang constantly with political telemarketers. Most all calls were Republican solicitations. Getting a call from a stranger that begins with, “How are you today?” rubs me the wrong way. A stranger asking me how I am is a turn-off. They don’t give a shit how I am. My last and parting shot was, “You really want to know how I am? Well I am pissed that you would call me to solicit for the Republican Party. Does that tell you how I am?”

As with Victor, I would never buy anything or donate to any organization that uses tele-marketing. At the same time, having experienced the job as a telemarketer, I can sympathize with the people making the calls. If they get enough rude responses, perhaps they will seek other employment that provides benefits. Part-time employment is normally an hourly wage with no benefits. You get sick, you don’t get paid. And if you don’t get the results they expect, you are fired.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:38 am

Yes, Abe,

What a depressing demoralizing job! I think I will change my tactics.
In place of saying, "Please do not call," I can change it to, " I am so happy you called me. Have you thought of a job change? You could write books and irritate fewer people as you starve? I have written two and love to talk about them....
They wouldn't listen long and might even put me on their no call list. LOL
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:45 am

That's funny, Alice. Whatever works, do it.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 am

Quote :
And if you don’t get the results they expect, you are fired.

Well, in all fairness, this is any job. Smile
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 am

LC wrote:
Quote :
And if you don’t get the results they expect, you are fired.

Well, in all fairness, this is any job. Smile

True, but most jobs are more doable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?   Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You? Empty

Back to top Go down

Telemarketers Annoy Me-- How About You?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: