Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Yes, that saved business gets me too. However, I just have to understand that those people have been so indoctrinated that it's real to them. It's very real to people close to me who pray for me all the time and believe I am a good person that will be "left behind." I like your approach to say, "yes." I actually was "saved" as a Baptist and again in several religions. I've always said that when St. Peter is at the gate letting the "right" people in I can answer "yes" to the Baptists, Methodists, Congregationalists, Lutherans, Church of Christ, Presbyterians, Anglicans and maybe the Catholics though that's by association. There are advantages to foster care and multiple homes. Or rather - I may find out if there are advantages :-)

Alas, my current Unity association leaves the promises up to individual beliefs - so no guarantees there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I've often wondered, where is the compassion in those who would be "saved" from this retribution of an angry God? How does one deal with the self-righteous condemnation of another, admittedly innocent soul?

I would have to ask myself, "Who am I?"

And, of course, these days, that reminds me of Hugo's Jean Valean, who learns that another, innocent man, is about to be condemned in his place. "How can I live with myself?" he asks. He sings, "My soul belongs to God, I know. I made that bargain long ago," but he gets that he still has a responsibility to his fellow man. He cannot allow another to, "Go to judgement in [his] place."

In my mind, and I cannot get away from it, to allow Christ to sacrifice Himself for my soul is a very, very selfish act. I cannot imagine a loving God who would require that. Either we are all acceptable, as we are, or we are not.

Personally, I think that we are all acceptable, and have no need of redemption.

Mistakes are the way we learn and progress through life. What makes a man (or woman) "evil" is their condemnation by others. They believe themselves to be bad, so they do bad things, figuring they are going to Hell anyway, so they might as well take what they can while they can.

Or, they have so much fear of Hell that they convince themselves that they are good, and worthy of an abundant life, and project the evil onto other people.

Those poor people are not worth our sympathy. They are lazy and expect to be taken care of - those 47% who are not as good as the rest of us, us - the wealthy ones who obviously have God's approval.

As Owen Wister's Virginian said, back in 1902: "If I can't do nothing long enough and good enough to earn eternal happiness, I can't do nothing long enough and bad enough to be damned. I reckon He plays a square game with us if He plays at all, and I ain't bothering my haid about other worlds."
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 4331
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:42 pm

As Owen Wister's Virginian said, back in 1902: "If I can't do nothing long enough and good enough to earn eternal happiness, I can't do nothing long enough and bad enough to be damned. I reckon He plays a square game with us if He plays at all, and I ain't bothering my haid about other worlds."

Amen.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15666
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:46 pm

There is a lot I don' t understand about our situation.There must be a lot of information we are missing.
God is so much more intelligent and powerful than I am, I feel as though I am a garden snail in comparison and very ill-equipped to explain or demand that others agree with my conclusions.

I think God has a way for everyone to be saved. He knows what He is doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10627
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 pm

a Biblical verse, "God is Love"

I always found it hard to accept a God of vengeance. As a child, I was told as I was getting wipped, that it was out of love. It was hard to accept along with the pain. Still don't have answers, but cling to what my gut tells me.

Knowledge and Belief are not the same thing and that is where problems arise.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:52 am

Abe,
What we are told about God is suspect. We must experience Him for ourselves.
Many grieving people take deep offense to a well intentioned "It was God's will" condolence. I don't blame them.

The one to be irked with is the one who said it --not God.

Also, the "love" garbage before hitting kids. I don't buy it. They were obviously irked or they wouldn't do such a thing. I well remember Dan slugging Becky in the back as we were waiting in the car after church one day. I said, "When we get home I will spank you."

Then I thought-- why wreck his day and mine? Hit him because he hit Becky?

So I said, "Pay Becky a quarter, tell her you are sorry and don't hit her again."

Better idea by far

Last edited by alice on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:19 am

Also, why is it okay to strike a child anyway? The poor kid is much smaller and unable to defend itself. Parents should protect their kids.
No one wants their boss to hit them when they goof.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:34 am

When Lynn and Susan were very little, I still thought that a light swat on a thick diaper was an OK way to make a point with them.

Then Dave came along, and after one of his first swats, he instinctively spun around and swatted me back - on my shin.

That's when I realized that I was teaching them that violence was a valid way to solve problems.

It ended there. Isolation at first, then as he got a little older, there was no better way of enforcing rules than taking away the Pong cord for a specified period of time.
(and how many of you can remember what a Pong cord was?)

With the girls, the consequence was different, depending on what was important to them at the time.

That's the idea, I think, anyway, behind effective discipline. There should be a consequence that fits the action.

Let's do away with that idea of punishment. We are meant to make mistakes. We learn - naturally - from the consequences. No guilt; no blame; no shame. We learn early on that we are responsible for our actions, and make our behavioral choices based on our experiences. It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 am

Ann
I like your approach.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 am

Anyone who offends a child is clearly not in God's favor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?   

Back to top Go down

DOES GOD PUNISH DICTATORS ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: All Political Discussions-
Jump to: