Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult

Go down 
+3
dkchristi
alice
Betty Fasig
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult Empty
PostSubject: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a short story about Brigaham Youngs conquest of Utah. That was long, long ago.

He recognized it as a cult way back then.

Here is a quote from

Brigham Young second President and Prophet:

You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind. . . . Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would put a termination to that line of human beings. This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which was the flat nose and black skin. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another cursed is pronounced upon the same race--that they should be the "servants of servants;" and they will be until that curse is removed; and the Abolitionists cannot help it, nor in the least alter that decree (Journal of Discourses, 7:290; emphasis added)
Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be (ibid., 10:110; emphasis added)

Brigham Young stated that his sermons (as cited above) are Scripture:

I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of man, that they may not call Scripture (ibid., 13:95).
What kind of crap is that?
I consider that every person is entitled to his or her idea of why we are here and what we are to do. I really do not want someone in the presidents office to be able to legislate my spirit.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:14 pm

I certainly miss W. Lane Rogers who was reared a devout Mormon. He would not stay one and had some choice word to say concerning their practices.

They have rewritten their sordid history-glad they have improved:)
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:24 am

Human kind has its history of barbaric thought and practices, cults and suspicions. It just happens that the Mormon religion is considered a modern religious practice and their "upgrade" was in our lifetime experience.

Therefore, it is no wonder that President Obama is held in such low respect by the Romney family, he and his entire family.

Prejudice and bias run deep, even in those whose intellect has awakened them to the fact that we are all children of one Creator and are all linked by the blood that flows in our veins, the life force that is no different across the world.

The multiple marriages in the Mormon religion forcing young girls into marriages to old men and the continuous birth of children still has its remnants.

However, Romney has one great asset that prevents a hue and cry against his religion - he and his family are white as snow and blue eyed - and there are many posts on facebook about what a beautiful First Lady Ann Romney makes under a picture of that white, blond, blue-eyed face - as if that "preferred beauty" look of the 1950's entitles that family to remove a competent president and his family who really represent all the people of the United States.

No, the Republicans and religious right don't care who is in the suit that opposes President Obama or the circumstances of the economy that is presently on a major upswing with housing starts the highest they've been, Wall Street at an all time high, and unemployment as low as 5% in some states and averaging the lowest it's been since President Obama took the reins of a disaster.

It's downright greed, money and prejudice that runs the republican party - and it's damaging to the rest of the people of the United States. Those who work for a living from small business owners to wage earners that don't vote for President Obama, especially women, are encapsulated in their small world where they have been duped to believe the republicans represent Christian values and patriotism. Perhaps they presented that image at one point; but it is a false image.

Christian values and patriotism are in the party of the President of the United States, President Obama, who cares for least of us, seeks fair play rules for the governing of the country, presents benefits and services to our servicemen - including a jobs act that the republicans refused to sign - cares about the health of the nation and the equal rights of all people, including particularly women - and has brought this economic mess into a growth cycle that will only continue upward.

I will continue to have faith that somehow the truth will get through to those whose eyes are blinded by an archaic, male-dominated ministry that also wants women barefoot and pregnant and subservient to men and preaches republicanism from the pulpit (and those churches should be taxed for mixing religion and politics) and from whom the "value of life" is limited to an unborn fetus and ignores the impoverished, starving children, the elderly, those in nursing homes, women, and men and women in service to our country.

I will continue to have faith that in the quiet of the voting booth, truth will find the heart and soul of U.S. citizens who love their nation and their fellow travelers on this journey of life and will not vote for a candidate who is basically an empty suit, a pawn of the most privileged class of people who have felt no pain from the destruction by the Bush Administration (by the way - neither did anyone who served in that administration - ) who will destroy the planet for profits and take away rights from women that a Supreme Court might never return.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 7:22 am

Another good post, DK.

When serving in the USAF, my roommate was Morman. We had long discussions about religion and I found him to be an honest and good person. I lost contact with him, however he does not represent what we see today in the person of Romney. I can't believe that a church would endorse a liar. It certainly reflects on the church. Perhaps, and I'm guessing here, that they support him because he has given much money to the church. Today money does the talking and overlooking crime or "sins" is a human tragedy. I often think of my mother. She lived her faith. Although my beliefs differ, I respect her for her faith and being an example of what to her Christianity meant.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 7:59 am

My cousin Nita married into a Mormon family and adopted the religion. I don't know the family all that well. I see less of my cousins since I left my home town back in 1980, but we do talk at reunions. She has a very large brood of children (big surprise - not), now mostly grown, and while her husband seems a little intimidated by our family (quite understandable), and their views are a tad on the conservative side, they seem to be good people.

Weirdos can be found just about anywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 am

Weirdos are everywhere:)
Particularly in the Republican party. I am proud that not even one of them got a vote from me.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 10:02 am

Though I mention some quirks of the Mormon religion, every group has good and honest people and the fanatics who take advantage of a dogma to live in a self-serving way. That's found in all religions.

It's just when one group of people set themselves above another as more Christian and more patriotic, I need to remind the republicans that in their candidate is a person who does not represent either though he and his family may live their religion in practice. Honesty has escaped them. The business premise, "ends justifies the means" seems to have replaced the Christian principles of loving thy brother as thyself; from those who have much, much is expected in return; and help the least of the people for Christ is there.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 pm

"O would some power the giftie give us to see ourselves as other see us."
and
"A man convinced against his will remains unconvinced still."

I have given up. People see what they want to see.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 8:04 pm

I gotta tell you guys that I know next to nothing about the Mormon faith. I've never really looked at it, and probably won't now. But I have to believe that Romney is not a good example of their faith, just as I don't think he would be a good example of any faith. They say actions speak louder than words, but I don't know if that holds true for him or not. Both his actions and his words are screaming at the American people right now, and the problem seems to be that many of those people still cannot hear what he's truly saying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Don, I agree. And that's where my label of "Stupid" seems appropriate.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 10:12 am

The Salt Lake Tribune and the Cleveland papers endorsed President Obama and had quite a bit to say positive and negative about both candidates. When Romney's own faith's main town newspaper endorses President Obama - you know there's something wrong with Romney. However, the race is too close for comfort. Obviously nearly 50% of the people don't get it - and won't.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 am

I have been in a position, in past elections, where I had to make a choice, when I voted, between my political perspective and the candidate who was its representative on the one hand, and an individual whom I respected, but whose platform contained policies that I did not believe were the best way for the country to go, on the other.

It is not a comfortable place to be. I feel for every voter in this election who are finding themselves confronting this dilemma.

It is not the extremists who will decide this election. It is the moderates who see themselves as having to choose between two equally problematic decisions.

These are not "stupid" people. They are not blind to the consequences of their choices.

I find myself going back to this past July, and a situation where my three-year-old granddaughter found herself in what was for her, an equally problematic choice.

"I do not want to put shoes on," she told her dad, and then added, "but I do not want to be barefoot."

"Jaycie," my college professor son told his daughter, "I understand your existentialist dilemma, but you are faced with two mutually exclusive situations." and being a college professor who was, incidentally, introduced to Shakespeare and the play, Hamlet, when he was nine years old, added," to shoe or not to shoe, Jaycie. That is the question."

My granddaughter glared at her father, completely understanding the crux of his words and the position they represented if not the precise word choices, and, in spite of her annoyance replied, "Sshhooee."

Her decision did not imply any form of stupidity - quite the reverse, it showed her willingness to deal pragmatically with the dichotomy of her choices.

Sometimes, we need to put ourselves into the sshhooees of those who do not share our limited perspectives, if we are to come to a reasonable solution.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 11:37 am

I was with friends last night. He said, "I have a choice between my medicare and my country. I feel Obama is best for seniors and Romney best for the country. I think I will make a choice that is best for me personally."

Since the Salt Lake Times has come out in Favor of Barack Obama with quite a detailed rationale, it's hard for me to imagine moderates voting for Romney.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 11:43 am

They wouldn't be voting for Romney, DK. They would be voting for a conservative agenda. That was the point of my last post.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 am

They may be voting for a conservative agenda, but it puts Romey/Ryan in office so I can't divide the two. As you know, I believe Romney is an empty suit, just a place holder, whose substance is fashioned to get votes, not a reflection of who he is. At least Ryan had some convictions before he teamed up with Romney though I was opposed to them. Now, he's about as empty and stuttering as his proposed boss.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 1:49 pm

I really don't care what religion Romney adheres to. I am against his policies.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 2:06 pm

I just got so tired of those who attack President Obama and call him a Muslim as if that is a terrible thing. He's actually a Christian. That's just an attach they created because part of his youth was spent in a Muslim country. We have many U.S. born Muslims. There is no crime in the Muslim religion; they share many of the same brotherhood statements and beliefs in sanctity of life and in prayer to one God that are similar to Christianity.

My feeling was if they are going to attack the Muslim religion that President Obama is not; people ought to be aware of the objectionable traditions of the Mormon religion that Romney is. I do agree with Don Harpe however that he does not represent the Mormon religion well; and that is why the Salt Lake City Tribune endorses Obama.

It will be a travesty if empty suit Romney/Ryan are elected. It will prove that truth does not win out and that hate and bias are alive and well. Unfortunately, so long as the air waves are poisoned by FOX and affiliates, hate will continue to burn.
Back to top Go down
1meek1

1meek1

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Oh... I love this thread! I just want to say... based solely on his religion I could never vote for Romney! Some of the rituals they practice are truly... for lack of better words... insanely disturbing! ANYONE that is present of mind and can consciously make a decision to participate in some of that stuff is simply NOT EQUIPPED to run this country... regardless of his politics!
Back to top Go down
http://memoirsofanewageferalchild.blogspot.com/
1meek1

1meek1

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 3:46 pm

P.s. Is it just me, or does W. Lane Rogers look eerily similar to John Broadus Watson (J.B. Watson)?
Back to top Go down
http://memoirsofanewageferalchild.blogspot.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 11:57 pm

The upcoming debate will be about Foreign Affairs. Romney can say most anything he wants, however the President is still the President and must be careful in what he says. There is much happening behind the scenes that cannot be made public. I hope the American people realize this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult   Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult Empty

Back to top Go down

Politics and the Mormon Religious Cult
Page 1 of 1