Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Joe's Widget Quotes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Joe's Widget Quotes Empty
PostSubject: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 am

I think I need to just start a new thread for all of these Campbell quotes. I refer to them so often. Here is another:

Quote :
We have, therefore, to recognize what now appears to be the demonstrated and documented fact that all of the high civilizations of the world are, finally, but so many variants and developments of a single marvelous monad of mythological inspiration—and that, whereas the history and prehistory of the human race covers some one million seven hundred and fifty thousand years, this monad was constellated and brought into a living form in the mud flats and among the reeds of Mesopotamia hardly more than five thousand years ago.

Joseph Campbell; The Flight of the Wild Gander, "Symbol Without Meaning"

I was relieved to see that the originators of this widget were kind enough to include the title of the article as well as the book. They will save me from much page-thumbing as I re-read the chapter.

I cannot but help think "synchronicity" at this time, as I just ran across an image that seems to fit with what I'm finding so far in the chapter. It is an image from a French graphic novel, authored by Darren Aronofsky, and is his source for the script for his currently-being-filmed movie, Noah, and depicts a meeting between Noah and his grandfather, Methuselah.

Joe's Widget Quotes Noah-aronofsky-methusaleh

I am fascinated by the symbols on the back wall - tons of clues re the movie script and plot, which is said to include stories of Noah from the Pseudographia and the Qu'ran as well as from Genesis. (Robert Langdon would totally freak. I am about to have a lot of fun. Will report back later.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Interesting Ann. I can imagine your excitement. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Quote :
Sacred space and sacred time and something joyous to do is all we need. Almost anything then becomes a continuous and increasing joy.

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living

Needs nothing added.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:16 am

Quote :
One of the Shinto texts says that the processes of nature cannot be evil. Every natural impulse is not to be corrected but to be sublimated, to be beautified.Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth with Bill Moyers

In context:

Quote :
CAMPBELL: ...the ten commandments say, "Thou shalt not kill." Then the next chapter says, "Go into Canaan and kill everybody in it."...The myths of participation and love pertain only to the in-group, and the out-group is totally other...
MOYERS: And unless you wear my costume, we are not kin.
CAMPBELL: Yes, Now, what is a myth? The dictionary definition...would be stories about gods...What is a god? A god is a personification of a motivating power or value system....there are two totally different orders of mythology. There is a mythology that relates you to your nature and to the natural world, of which you're a part. And there is the mythology that is strictly sociological, linking you to a particular society. You are simply not a natural man, you are a member of a particular group. In the history of European mythology, you can see the interaction of these two systems. Usually the [social] system is of a nomadic people who are moving around, so you learn that's where your center is...the nature-oriented mythology would be of an earth-cultivating people.
Now, the biblical tradition is a socially oriented mythology....Nature religions are not attempts to control nature but to help you put yourself in accord with it. When nature is thought of as evil, you don't put yourself in accord with it, you control it, or try to, and hence the tension, the anxiety, the cutting down of forests, the annihilation of native people. and the accent here separates us from nature.
MOYERS: Is that why we so easily dominate or subjugate nature--because we have contempt for it, because we see it as only something to serve us?
CAMPBELL: Yes. I will never forget the experience that I had in Japan, a place that never heard of the Fall and the Garden of Evil. One of the Shinto texts says that the processes of nature cannot be evil. Every natural impulse is not to be corrected but to be sublimated, to be beautified. There is a glorious interest in the beauty of nature and cooperation with nature....But in the Bible, eternity withdraws, and nature is corrupt, nature has fallen. In biblical thinking, we live in exile.
MOYERS: ....It strikes me that Marshall McLuhan was right when he said that television has made a global village of the world--but he didn't know that the global village would be in Beirut...
CAMPBELL:...It's a terrible example of the failure of religion to meet the modern world. These three mythologies are fighting it out...
MOYERS: What kind of new myth do we need?
CAMPBELL:We need myths that will identify the individual not with his local group but with the planet. A model of that is the United States. Here were thirteen different little colony nations that decided to act in the mutual interest, without regarding the individual interests of any one of them....This was the first nation that was ever established on the basis of reason instead of simply warfare. These were eighteenth-century deists, these gentlemen...These men did not believe in a Fall They did not think the mind of man was cut off from God....
All men are capable of reason. That is the fundamental principle of democracy....You don't have to have a special authority, or a special revelation telling you that this is the way things should be.

Any thoughts, fellow reasonable people?

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 9:12 am

Quote :
Apocalypse is not about a fiery Armageddon, but about the fact that our ignorance and our complacency are coming to an end.

Joseph Campbell; Thou Art That

Important one to remember and think about, especially these days.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 am

Quote :
The way to find out about your happiness is to keep your mind on those moments when you feel most happy, when you really are happy -- not excited, not just thrilled, but deeply happy. This requires a little bit of self-analysis. What is it that makes you happy? Stay with it, no matter what people tell you. This is what I call "following your bliss."

Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth with Bill Moyers

And when you follow that bliss, you cannot help but contribute to the whole community, by giving that unique thing that is your purpose for being here in the first place.

Just me again.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:37 am

Quote :
Life is sorrowful. How do you live with that? You realize the eternal within yourself. You disengage, and yet, reengage. You—and here’s the beautiful formula—“participate with joy in the sorrows of the world.” You play the game. It hurts, but you know that you have found the place that is transcendent of injury and fulfillments. You are there, and that’s it.

And that's what following your bliss is all about.

There is a reason you are here. You are part of the solution. Believe that; live the life that unfolds in front of you; keep playing the game.

Annie

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 am

Quote :
When you follow your passion, society’s help is gone. You must be very careful. You’re completely on your own.

I find this to be all too true.

How about you?

Ann
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe's Widget Quotes   Joe's Widget Quotes Empty

Back to top Go down

Joe's Widget Quotes
Page 1 of 1