Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-07-07

Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) Empty
PostSubject: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:32 am

Hi Guys,

At first glance this is a straight up fantasy adventure about a boy who discovers he has the power to control natural forces and creatures, and who is destined to take his place in the fight against the present evil. There are a good mix of teen and adult main characters, and I have a broad readership from 12 - 80! At second glance, there is more to the series than meets the eye. What I've attempted to do is elevate the emotional challenges we all face in real life by placing them in a fantasy context. The dialogue and relationships are a fundamental part of the strength of the books, and although the action is intense, you never lose sight of the characters at the heart of it all. For instance, one of the main characters (who comes to prominence in the sequel) is a depressed alcoholic, living under a burden of guilt and self-condemnation. The series tracks his emotional journey to personal healing, taking him through some very dark places on the way. I have drawn on my experience as a Life Coach to draw up characters whose joy and pain are realistic, and engage the reader's care and empathy. What I'm trying to say is that although Nature Mage and its sequels can be read as a straight up fantasy adventure (and many teenagers do exactly that), the series also explores spirituality and personal growth, and there is much in there for different types of reader.

My website is in the process of being built so here are two alternative routes to downloading/reading the first three chapters. The first is Lovereading, who awarded me their Debut of the Month in February of this year. You have to join the site (it's free and easy to do) but once you've done so you can download the first three chapters for free, and learn more about me as well if you so desire. Lovereading is amazing by the way. Great way to find out about new books in your favourite genres. The second link is to amazon, where I think you can go straight to the text on the "look inside" feature, though I think they have an older version of the text, which contains typos.

http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/book/7313/Nature-Mage-by-Duncan-Pile.html

http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Mage-Duncan-Pile/dp/1908248564/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343568594&sr=8-1&keywords=nature+mage

Okay. I'd love to hear your thoughts about Nature Mage. To be honest, I can't even read it now, as all I can see are things I would do differently, but thankfully most readers don't seem to have that problem! I get a lot of good reviews but some stinkers too, and am very open to constructive criticism. Much of the criticism I've received thus far has re-shaped the sequel in the editing stage, making it a better book.

My best,

Duncan

Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Duncan,

I have only read the synopsis, but like it.

When I clicked on the "read more," the site asked me to register and I have to get going in RL....lol, so maybe I will register there later.

The synopsis was interesting and made me curious for more and I do like the boys name "Gaspi." It sounds fun.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:41 am

Hi Katja,

I do like huggles! It's really worth registering on Lovereading. They send you regular recommendations in all your favourite genres, with loads of detail, reviews and downloadable extracts, so you always get to try before you buy! I'm a big fan of theirs!

As for Nature Mage, glad you like the look of it Smile No book is everyone's cup of tea of course, but in general I get a really good response. My brother hates the name Gaspi -says it sounds like an asthmatic care bear! Each to their own Smile

Dunc
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Hiya Duncan,

LOL @ your brother, but at least he had an opinion and a thought.

I will check out the page, and along the way will probably register.
Since I have decided to become more serious about my writing, I have added so much more stuff to my daily to- do list that it is still a little overwhelming.

Huggles (glad you like those)
Katja
Back to top Go down
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:25 pm

I know what you mean. If you put writing to one side, there are so many other things to do. How's your writing going?
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Hiya Duncan,

the writing is going good. I wish I could type it as fast as I can think it.

The problem is that I have no clue if it is any good. Like the old saying goes, We all would like to think of our own geese as swans...lol.

The reviews that I have gotten are from friends and family. They all seem to like it and are asking me -what's in the box? I greatly appreciate those reviews, but I know where all of them live, so...

English is my second language, so I am often second guessing myself. I have posted the first chapter of my "new creation," under the First Chapters spot in the forums.

Seems like lots of folks are looking at it, but there were not many replies Sad I am not heartbroken about it... I have noticed that I was the first person to reply to your post... and there are loads of posts that have reaped no replies....lol. Maybe some folks are worried about stepping on toes... Personally, I have big shoes and armored toes, so if I see something out there, I will put my 2 cents in it.

Well, RL is calling (sigh),
Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:46 pm

I can only imagine how hard it is to write in your second language. I'll take a look and give you my honest opinion, but please near in mind that i am also completely convinced that my geese are swans too, and I'm also pretty new at this. Personally i think that the only way forward is to have confidence in yourself. All reviews can be misleading, whether good or bad. D
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Hiya Duncan,

I totally agree.

The way that I approach the judging of my geese is by reading loads of the new books that new authors publish along with a bunch of already successful books.

I usually am always between 3 books. One new, one popular and one classic.

I am looking forward to your critical eye Smile and thanks... much appreciated for sure.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)   Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011) Empty

Back to top Go down

Nature Mage - Teen Fantasy Novel (Published Sept 2011)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: First Chapters-
Jump to: