Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Seeking food on the table

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
toroddfuglesteg

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Seeking food on the table Empty
PostSubject: Seeking food on the table   Seeking food on the table EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi.
I published my first novel The Final Ride on Lulu one week ago. That after 20 years in (mostly unpaid) publishing and music reviewing with some IT and language work too (I am not a native English speaker).
I am honest enough to admit that The Final Ride was mostly written as therapy and has it's...... eehhh...... shortcomings. That without doing it down and/or it's readers. A second, third, fourth, fifth novel is in the making with hopefully the advice, constructive criticism, kick up the backside and support from places like this.
The online marketing bits has been done and I am getting my face and the book in the local newspaper this weekend. I have mostly done the right things for The Final Ride. A debut novel and only that.
After a long term illness, I am also trying to bring food on the table. There are demands being put on me. I also feel I got the right things to contribute. But I don't want to go back to IT callcentres after some illness and near-death provoking experiences from those gritty places. Neither The Final Ride or the oncoming two or three books will give me enough income to live of. If any of the books ever give me a good income. I seriously doubt that. They are just a passion and the means to get me income from other places. Paid work or self employment, that is.
My question, and perhaps a naive one...... which other places/careers should I target ? Career advice and food on the table is sought in an increasing difficult world.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Seeking food on the table   Seeking food on the table EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 am

While I won't personally do what I'm about to suggest, it is a possible source of income. You wrote a book and therefore have a product to sell. How you sell it is up to you. Door-to-door, in restuarants at Flea Markets, standing outside high-traffic areas. There's always a way if one has the courage and will-power to do it. Your cost is your time and the cost-price of your book.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Seeking food on the table   Seeking food on the table EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:01 am

I continue to recommend Examiner.com and Suite101.cm as great education in writing for the Internet. They also pay for those who write often enough and get a following. I haven't earned much money from either, but I know people who do very well. I have received an excellent education about writing for the Internet. Their critique processes (actually grades for each article written) and education are exceptional. I think if you can overlook the difficulty in racking up pennies for articles, it's worth writing for Examiner.com for the education and critiques.

Then, in a short time, you can apply to write for other paying Internet venues. If you can write on any topic at the drop of a hat and with perfect presentation, writing Internet content can provide a small income. There are many journalists without jobs trying to write for Internet, but Internet content requires a type of writing very different than trained journalists. I fit the criteria and need to get off my duff and start applying...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking food on the table   Seeking food on the table Empty

Back to top Go down

Seeking food on the table
Page 1 of 1