Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

New Amazon Review

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 5:13 pm

This a new review form someone that read my book.

5.0 out of 5
stars raw
survival
, June 7, 2012

By
Lk3 - See
all my reviews

Amazon Verified
Purchase
(What's this?)
This
review is from: Rooftop Diva - A Novel of Triumph After Katrina (Kindle
Edition)
Absolutely loved this book and the characters. When you are
really determined to succeed you remove all self limitations.when faced with
adversity, and still able to prevail that's just pure amazingness.even being
targeted because you succeeded and mel thought she was white.lol odd.how one
major setback can really change a persons perspective on life.can't wait for
more from mr pollard

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to
you? Yes No

Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 pm

I enjoyed the beginning - I was just afraid the graphic sexual content might increase and stopped reading as I prefer more imagination and less detail - but that's me - not the majority of readers. I agree the characters as far as I read were very real. Their thoughts easy to imagine. Their experiences real to the emotions and details. Glad you got a 5 star
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 am

This book has a few scenes that I describe in a realistic way, but it is by no means an adult novel. As you read the reviews you will notice that none of them mention what you are referencing. They all focus on the inspiration of the charater for surviving. Everyone has their preferences, but focusing on one aspect of this book so strongly is surprising because I actually held back in that area. It is certainly not a erotic novel by any stretch of the imagination.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 am

It has been awhile since I read Rooftop Diva, but I don't remember anything terribly graphic about it. It was a realistic depiction of the uprooted lives that many people went through after Katrina, and the heroine is a courageous, noble character.

I've changed computers recently, and haven't figured a good way to move some of the old book files. When I do, I just might reread the book.

Glad to hear it is doing so well. DT has earned its success and praise.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 am

Hey guys - don't beat me! Ghost Orchid has sexual content also...in a non-detailed way. Arirang has a rape scene that is graphic. We all have our preferences for reading and I chose to stop when I didn't care for the sexual reference or its context. I reviewed another book by a local author that had a great story; but for my taste, her graphic sex pieces felt contrived and irrelevant to the story and spoiled it for me.

I think just as you felt I missed the story content by being put off by the first sexual reference (and assuming they would continue) - you missed my praise for the characters - and since I only read the beginning and was impressed by the quality of the writing - I did not miss the focus or the importance of the theme. I just chose not to read a good book further and was therefore unable to discuss the entire book.

Sexual content is certainly part of the life experience. I also have colleagues who write about murder and mayhem. At this point in my life, I choose to have softer reading experiences. I've had plenty of hard reality. Wooffer's Woods and In The Swamp are my speed.

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:32 am

Great review, DT! Well done! I hope more will follow.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:21 am

6/8/2012

DT..

Congratulations ! Keep up the good work. My third book

Clara Layten - The Chelsea Murders has a few graphic scenes.

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:24 am

I repeat - most books for adults include real life experiences - including sexual scenes. It's just my preference to choose different books to read. I still appreciate the quality of the writing in those I choose not to read.

I thoroughly congratulate DT; he is a prolific and excellent writer and master of finding his way in the competitive field who shares his experiences and helps everyone else. His command of current topics and multiple topics is amazing.

Whew!
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 9:06 am

My big issues is how do you break through in this new book world. I put
some thought into it and a few things came to mind. I almost sell no
hard copy books anymore as almost everything is an ebook sales. Selling
ebooks costs less, but there are a few drawbacks. I don't know how many
thousands of people are reading and have read my work over the years,
but I wonder what the real effect is on recognition and sales.

When someone is reading your ebook there is no cover for an onlooker to notice and inquire about. We hear about the indie author breakthroughs, but what is the key to breaking out. I wrote Rooftop Diva in 2006 and it is still my bestselling book and seems to be slowing gaining momentum after 6 years. I always feel that there are more that never read you or heard of you so everything is still new to them.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 am

I think it's tough DT unless you have a celebrity sponsor somewhere along the line. One minute on the Today show will do it.

I have a friend with lots of connections. Do you think he uses them to help me? Not a minute. Once I am famous and it makes him look good to promote my famous books - well, that's a different matter.

I did have one unsuccessful experience that I still think a more aggressive author could have used well. Get press credentials and attend an AARP conference. They have lots of authors and influential people in the book world speaking. As a member of the press corps you will get interviews. I did that in Orlando and was close up with people who could have made a difference for me; I just wasn't assertive enough to make it happen.

Some people make connections at writers' conferences.

In the meantime, I write for a newspaper....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Amazon Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Amazon Review   New Amazon Review Empty

Back to top Go down

New Amazon Review
Page 1 of 1