Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?

Go down 
+3
dkchristi
Al Stevens
sergoyaa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sergoyaa

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-24

Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? Empty
PostSubject: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Ok, so I know what you're thinking, "4k to publish a book, sounds like vanity publishing." Maybe it is - I don't know, hence my post here. Since this is my first foray into publishing, I am having a heck of time getting any big NY publisher to notice, (naturally), and self publishing looks to be my only option. However, I do need professional editing (cheapest quote I've received was 6.5k), marketting, blogosphere work, etc. so for 4k, could this be a good avenue or a gimic?

The company is called Tate Publishing, and they accepted my manuscript. For 4k they do everything a traditonal house would do (according to them), and refund me the 4k after I sell my 5000 copy.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Tate wants you to pay them to publish? That's a vanity press. And $6500 is too much to pay for an edit. Unless you've written an encyclopedia.

Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Go to Amazon.com Check out their self-publishing stuff and their cost for edits. Also, try small publishing houses. All the self-pubs have some sort of edit available. Don't pay Tate. They didn't accept your manuscript - they are selling you your own book.

Check out lulu.com

I even think google is hooked up with a self pub outfit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
sergoyaa

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 1:38 pm

thanks guys. I tend to agree - Tate sounds very fishy and I've read nothing but bad things about them. Plus, in the contract, it says I need to sign a form stating I'm a christian. WTF?
Back to top Go down
damienjoseph

damienjoseph

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 2:49 pm

If your looking into self publishing why not check out
Amazon Kindle Select.
It's a great program and will give you tons of exposure. I'm definitely thinking about doing it for my next novel.
Back to top Go down
http://damienjoseph.info
aklanlife

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: You can publish with us for a very low price   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:20 am

Hello, I am currently working on a publishing company names International Alliance Pro-Publishing, LLC and we are looking for writers who would like to publish their book without thinking for the cost of publishing.

I have read your post and we don't charge that much. $4k is too big.

Our cost is very low. I would like to invite you to publish with us.

Best regards,

AklanLife.com
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 am

I would like to recommend a vanity press in my little Naples, Florida, Barringer Press. Look it up on the Internet. They are connected to a publicist, Carol Green, who has put several of Barringer's books into Hallmark films (these people are people I know - in my same press club organization). As I mentioned in another post, I sent Carol Green my already small press published novel, Ghost Orchid, in hopes of a move contract - but no response.

Barrenger books are quality off the press. The two women in my church that use them have had great success as local authors; the quality is great (I have read their books and the edits are excellent also.) I love their covers. One woman has two books published with them.

I cannot afford a vanity press outlay. If I did, though, I would try Barringer. See: Naples novelists get Hollywood attention (the link didn't seem to go - you may need to google it).
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 am

Tate recently fired 25 employees over a leak that reported that they were outsourcing jobs to the Phillipines. Ryan Tate, the CEO, ranted at the staff in a meeting about it. The rant was recorded and you can find it with google.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:26 pm

I think Tate is a "religious" publisher, right? Money doth corrupt, lots of money doth corrupt lots.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Right. I think in this case it was the absence of money. They needed to downsize and outsource, and the jerk chose this path to justify letting 25 people go. It's a Christian vanity press, and those companies have been hit hard by POD and KDP.
Back to top Go down
mnsmuts

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 am

Is it too harsh to say that this sort of publishing is not publishing but printing. Find a nice friendly printer, and fill your garage. Publishing is about promotion and distribution, well in my world anyway. Personally I think they are ripping you off and there are alternatives. Amazon sounds nice and should certainly be part of your books promotional mix.

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 6:46 am

I see lots of people doing well with Lulu. It lets you name your publisher instead of saying "Lulu" on the cover.

Bottom line: Anyone who charges you to publish your book has one goal: sell you books. Then you can try to sell them to someone else.

Small presses vary in their integrity and their success. They do not charge for covers, edits, or any fees. You have a quality book listed on the major distribution points. You will still be responsible for marketing and the good ones do want a reputation for selling books and will reject manuscripts that are awful and will likely not sell. The price of books is pretty high and the royalty to authors pretty low.

As far as respect, you will do as well publishing with Lulu or Amazon.com who will help you publish anything, good or bad, and have generally fair fees for edit services and some marketing packages. Your wholesale cost of your books is usually less than a small press so your retail price may be smaller.

If you want to sell books, a reputable vanity press may have a marketing package to help. The one I mentioned, Barringer Press, does help market and has an agent who does some of their edits - so that's a built in benefit. For a vanity press, they are a bit selective because they want a good rep. They do make their money, though, from you. Any more is a bonus.
Back to top Go down
jomarks

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:23 am

I definitely understand what dkchristi is saying. Amazon take such a large amount of the money it made me feel a little uncomfortable. I went around the same block. Ended up with a company who dont charge and do the marketing BUT the jury is still out on whether this will work.

Personally I did not like the idea of paying. So spent a while finding a company that had enough faith in my work to take some risk with me. I think the Key is publicity and marketing to build readership are everything. The company I am with included creating an audio book ask part of the launch as well as editing the book professionally. Apparently this increases the market. (Penrose Publishing is the company but UK based)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?   Tate Publishing - Thoughts?  $4k to publish my first novel? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tate Publishing - Thoughts? $4k to publish my first novel?
Page 1 of 1