Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Moving Away from Organized Religion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FixMeLoveThem

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-12-09

Moving Away from Organized Religion Empty
PostSubject: Moving Away from Organized Religion   Moving Away from Organized Religion EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm

There seems to be a growing unrest with organized religion. This generation seems to be growing tired of the way the Church works. Would love to hear thoughts on why you feel people seem to be moving away from the traditional approach to religion and spirituality.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Moving Away from Organized Religion   Moving Away from Organized Religion EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:55 pm

I think you have pointed out many of the reasons, Matt, in your posts here, and in explaining the premise for your book.

Here is what I would add.

I speak from the voice of a student and researcher, not an expert with any kind of credentials.

We have become a world-wide community. We can no longer claim that Christianity, whether fundamental or progressive, or anywhere in between has the sole Answer, or even little answers. Jesus of Nazareth was not the only - shall we say - enlightened incarnation of the intention of our Source.

Personally, I grew up in the Christian tradition and still consider myself a Christian; but I agree with the current head of the Episcopal Church US (the denomination to which I claim membership, although I am not currently active with any one congregation), Bishop Katherine Jefferts-Schori, when she said, in an interview shortly after her confirmation for that office, "We of the Episcopal church see Jesus as our pathway to the divine, but to claim that He is the only way, would be to put God in a very small box." (I'm quoting from memory, and it's been a few years now. I may not have it exactly as she said it.)

In my opinion - for what little it is worth - until it is accepted that other religions have developed from different, but equally valid perspectives, there will not be an organized institution that will appeal to the general public in today's world.

If you are interested in reading a more detailed expression of my own perspective, you can read an article I wrote last year at this location.

I like where you seem to be coming from with your work. Good luck with it.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Moving Away from Organized Religion   Moving Away from Organized Religion EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:19 pm

I am entrenched in organized religion. It is what I need in my life. It works for me. This is my choice. We all have this right to choose what we believe in, both temporal and spiritual. The rewards or consequences that may be attached to our choices are determined by someone else.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Moving Away from Organized Religion   Moving Away from Organized Religion EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Then you are where you should be, Charlie. The best to you.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving Away from Organized Religion   Moving Away from Organized Religion Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving Away from Organized Religion
Page 1 of 1