Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The demise of PA?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Here's a discussion initiated by a former Publish America employee.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232628

Those of you who published with PA might want to review your contracts and see what the implications are for your rights if the publisher goes belly up.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:16 pm

I read that too and it wouldn't surprise me. The ease of self publishing through the Kindle and Smashwords is really eating away at the customer base for all self publishers/vanities.

I'd say look at this with a grain of salt but I think this is the third or fourth report from a former employee saying the same thing.

But eh, time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 2:39 am

Wow, I actually agree with Chris. Is this a first?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 am

If (if) PA is going down the drains, I hope they do the right thing and release their auhors from their contracts. Their contract doesn't have a reversion caluse in it so if PA goes down, all those contracts will be tangled up in the courts. Knowing the people who run PA, they won't release anyone, but one can hope.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 8:48 am

Right now you can get released from PA by paying $149 to $199 depending on the flavor of the month by ordering your release at their book store. They might be spreading rumors to increase their income in selling those releases....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 9:20 am

I was thinking that as well, but over the years PA has always denied it had $$$ problems, so them spreading a rumor like this doesn't seem to fit their style. Of course we're dealing with PA so I guess it's possible.

Secondly, and more importantly, this is the fourth former employee to report PA having money problems over the last eighteen months so I think there is something to this.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm

I was offered a release for $199 just last week. They claim the fee is necessary for administrative costs.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:55 am

Multiply the $199 times all the authors they presently have not selling books and they have a tidy income with a reduced staff.

Reductions in staff and overhead are typical across the industry. I'm sure they could downsize and continue to make enough selling books to authors to support their principal owners.

I imagine many small presses make a good portion of their income selling to authors who then resell their own books at festivals, conferences, signings, etc. Many book stores now require small press authors to bring their own books to signngs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

The demise of PA? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The demise of PA?   The demise of PA? Empty

Back to top Go down

The demise of PA?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Writing and Publishing :: Publishers-
Jump to: