Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Funny memory blips

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Funny memory blips Empty
PostSubject: Funny memory blips   Funny memory blips EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Have been at JCF, having a discussion on post-modernism and whether or not we create reality. Suddenly I was back in a classroom in NW Houston, it would have been, probably, 1991-92.

I was sitting at my desk, pensively thinking about a book I was reading at the time, when one of my favorite students came in early. Actually, now that I am back there, I remember that this student has come up here before. This was the same young man who drew my sarcasm when he tried to opt for doing his term paper on Louis L'Amour. Much has been made here, of the comments I made to him at the time, with a lot of unpleasant repercussions, but this incident is just too good to not risk bringing him back up.

"Penny for your thoughts, Ms J?" he asked as he arrived. Tony often arrived early. He liked getting into intellectual discussions with me before the rest of the class arrived.

I looked at him directly and asked, "Tony, do we really create our own reality?"

"No, ma'am," he replied, barely taking time to think about it. "We just recycle it." Funny memory blips 144397

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Funny memory blips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny memory blips   Funny memory blips EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Ann,

You are one brave lady--hope the battle does not recycle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Funny memory blips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny memory blips   Funny memory blips EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 5:14 pm

My hope, Alice, is that it puts it in perspective.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Funny memory blips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny memory blips   Funny memory blips EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 am

The discussion about order and postmodernism on the JCP forum that started this thread is still going strong.

One of the moderators proposed something that I agree with. He said that the means for constructing reality was the narrative, not merely language as the proponents of postmodernism have said.

The discussion has taken some interesting turns with that proposition.

There are some major implications for us as writers where such discussions are concerned.

One of the major tenets of postmodernism is that "reality" is constructed by those in power. Add the theory of narrative to that, and you get a pretty good picture of what is happening in the publishing industry today.

In the past, the poets and mythmakers were often imprisoned, even put to the stake, by those in power, just so that that power structure could control what stories were being told and how.

We are in the middle of a chaotic time when the old construct of reality is collapsing, and one of the main reasons is the internet. What new order might come from the chaos is still being determined by all of us, as our perceptions broaden in the midst of the turmoil. And that is true for society in general. The state of publishing is just a reflection.

Companies like Amazon, apparently, would still like to control what gets "out there," but, like dmondeo said on another thread, it isn't going to be that easy.

Ann

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Funny memory blips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny memory blips   Funny memory blips Empty

Back to top Go down

Funny memory blips
Page 1 of 1