Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

New Rules for flying high...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:07 am

From Jumbo Joke.com:
" 'High Flight' is a famous poem by John Gillespie Magee Jr (1922-1941). A Royal Canadian Air Force pilot, he died at age 19 ...in a mid-air collision during World War II.

Here's his brief poem -- with a few notes now required by the Federal Aviation Administration."

(You can listen to this poem here)

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth(1),
And danced(2) the skies on laughter silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed(3) and joined the tumbling mirth(4)
... Of sun-split clouds(5) -- and done a hundred things(6)
You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung(7)
High in the sunlit silence(8.). Hov'ring there(9),
I've chased the shouting wind(10) along, and flung(11)
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious(12), burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights(13) with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle(14) flew --
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space(15),
Put out my hand(16), and touched the face of God.

Notes:

1. Pilots must insure that all surly bonds have been slipped entirely before aircraft taxi or flight is attempted.

2. During periods of severe sky dancing, crew and passengers must keep seatbelts fastened. Crew should also wear shoulder belts as provided.

3. Sunward climbs must not exceed the maximum permitted aircraft ceiling.

4. Passenger aircraft are prohibited from joining the tumbling mirth.

5. Pilots flying through sun-split clouds under VFR conditions must comply with all applicable minimum clearances.

6. Do not perform these hundred things in front of Federal Aviation Administration inspectors.

7. Wheeling, soaring, and swinging will not be attempted except in aircraft rated for such activities and within utility class weight limits.

8. Be advised that sunlit silence will occur only when a major engine malfunction has occurred.

9. "Hov'ring there" constitutes a highly reliable signal that a flight emergency is imminent.

10. Forecasts of shouting winds are available from the local FSS. Encounters with unexpected shouting winds should be reported by pilots.

11. Pilots flinging eager craft through footless halls of air are reminded that they alone are responsible for maintaining separation from other eager craft.

12. Should any crewmember or passenger experience delirium while in the burning blue, submit an irregularity report immediately upon flight termination.

13. Windswept heights will be topped by a minimum of 1,000 feet to maintain VFR minimum separations.

14. Aircraft engine ingestion of, or impact with, larks or eagles should be reported to the FAA and the appropriate aircraft maintenance facility.

15. Aircraft operating in the high untresspassed sanctity of space must remain in IFR flight regardless of meteorological conditions and visibility.

16. Pilots and passengers are reminded that opening doors or windows in order to touch the face of God may result in loss of cabin pressure. Military pilots shall avoid touching face of God to maintain separation of church and state as required by law.

http://www.jumbojoke.com/high_flight_with_faa_supplement.html

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
mburbaugh jr

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-10-16

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:45 am

My dad is now 88 but he taught me how to fly when I was 12. He sent me these rules to live by (I do not know where he found them):

Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.

If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick back, then they get bigger again.

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

A 'good' landing is one you can walk away from. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival. Large angle of arrival, small probability of survival and vice versa.

It's always better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.

The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

You know you've landed with the wheels up if it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.

Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction. Reliable sources also report that mountains have been known to hide out in clouds.

Always try to keep the number of landings you make equal to the number of take offs you've made.

There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them.

If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.

In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.

It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as possible.

Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.

The three most useless things to a pilot are the altitude above you, runway behind you, and a tenth of a second ago.
Back to top Go down
http://mburbaugh.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 am

That was absolutely fantastic We owned a small plane; my former spouse flew several small planes from Skymaters to Cesna's, four to six passenger, during the years we were married. There are lots of stories that go with those experiences including the day we took off and promptly turned around back to the airport. "Is something wrong?" I asked. "Yes." He answered. "Shoul.d I pray?" I asked jokingly. "I am praying." he responded, with a deathly tone. "How bad is it?" "Well, we have no electrical power. I can't radio back to the airport. I can't control the flaps. I can't put down the landing gear. Right now I am going to try by the emergency hand crank; you look out the window and see if you can see any evidence that it's down." I could see nothing but the airport getting closer and heard the sound of my spouse pumping down the emergency for the landing gear, something he had never done in that plane before. Since I am here, you know that the landing gear went down. I never forgot the deathly tone and the words, "I am praying" from the man of steel who never lost his cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10357
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 am

Great stuff, Burbaugh.
DK. your experience has the makings of a good story. Glad you're still with us.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 am

I've always loved McGee's poem ("High Flight" - see OP)

Loved what the "FAA notes" did with the metaphors.

My brother was a pilot and Vietnam vet.

I remember one day, during the early 80's we were taking a family vacation in Florida, and were driving along that stretch of I-10 with the wide esplanades when we saw a small bi-plane sitting in the middle of the road, and a police car with its lights flashing, apparently giving the pilot a ticket.

We were in a two-car convoy, communicating through our CB radios. My brother and my dad had a conversation going back and forth about the "successful landing" thing. Mr. Burbaugh's list brought the memory back.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 am

There was a time in my life when I enjoyed flying, and the bigger, jumbo jets seemed the safest to me. I planned my travel and airline to fly the biggest and newest.

Then my spouse gave me a bit of info that changed my whole perspective. He said, "I know you think those jumbo jets are safer, but I prefer the smaller planes. If anything does go wrong to require a landing, there are more choices the smaller the plane."

He did agree that my choice of at least two engines for very small planes was a good idea. However, he said among the pilots he knew, those with two engines were likely to take more weather and distance risks than those with one engine, including him.

One thing I did appreciate; he was a weather nut. We did not fly if there was any questionable weather and landed the plane on any ole podunk airport if the weather deteriorated. There are some good stories about landing in search of bathrooms for me (he and the three boys used jars....). Even in the Cessna that had an excuse for a bathroom, it had been removed for weight and luggage issues.

I remember one time we left from Michigan for Florida on a clear, winter day with good weather reported. Out of nowhere came a Lake effect white out that we could see in the distance. We turned completely around and went home for Christmas instead of Florida.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:18 pm

I had my first engine failure when I was an 18-hour student pilot flying solo. After that it got worse.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:58 pm

My brother used to tell about his days as a flight trainer. At one point, he had a group of students from Indonesia. Great guys, he said, but they didn't speak much English. they made up for it by saying, "Yes, Sri!" a lot.

One day, a student was coming in for a landing - badly - so my brother told him to "wave it off." The student understood one word: off, so he shouted "Yes, Sir!" and cut back on the throttle. My brother managed to take control in time to correct things, and get them back high enough in the air to land properly. He said when they inspected the plane afterwards, there was grass in the landing gear.

Would that come under "tumbling mirth (4), or "hovering there" (9) in "sunlit silence"? ( 8 )

Ann

Last edited by alj on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:01 pm

My oldest son owns an aircraft maintenance facility at an airport. I don't know if he has flown solo yet. His girlfriend was an instructor; he flew co-pilot to his dad for years; yet, there's something about the solo bit that stopped him for years.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:09 pm

My spouse and I were landing in a commercial plane; I could see the tarmac approaching when "whoosh" we were up in the air again. I looked at him and he was shaking. "That was an aborted landing for some reason; I'm amazed he was able to lift off." He was on edge for the final landing - me too.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:50 pm

When Bill and I left Virgin Gorda for St. Thomas and our flight back home after that last vacation we took together, we flew out of Virgin Gorda on a small plane called an Islander, if I remember correctly. It was a six-seater, and there was no wall between the passenger seats and the cockpit. As we taxied down the narrow dirt runway, the pilot had his window open, and his left elbow resting on the frame. that worried me, but not as much as the flight down to St. John had done, landing at the St. Thomas airport in a 727. I could tell we were coming down sharply, and decelerating very quickly, but I didn't understand why until the plane turned 90 degrees, and I saw that we had made that turn only a couple of feet from a cliff which dropped off at the end of the runway. Since then, I've seen video clips of planes landing there. I'm glad I hadn't seen them before the flight, and they made the little plane we flew back to St. Thomas two weeks after seem much, much safer.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:05 pm

We flew into the jungle in Venezuela in a pretty long plane and landed on a plateau. From the air it looked like no place to land. Once landed, I was sure the nose was off the cliff...it was a tight fit.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:05 pm

I have many such scary flying stories. I used to fly junk. In and out of unusual places. We pilots call the telling of flying tales, "hangar flying."
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Yeah, I guess there was the flight in Thailand with the chickens, hogs and seats that were coming unscrewed.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10357
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 pm

I think many of us have stories about flying, even as a passenger.
My good friend and business partner had his own plane and flying field behind his business warehouse. He was over 60 and I became interested in flying as self-preservation. I wanted to be sure I could take over if he became physically incapable. He taught me how to fly. I wanted to get a flying license, but my wife said if I did she would kill me and then divorce me. Hmmmm.
Being in the USAF meant I experienced much flying as a passenger and spent time in the cockpit observing. I felt confident that I could fly should the situation call for it. I often had dreams (nightmares) of taking over in an emergency.

I loved flying and envied those with a flying license. In later years, I worked for Fokker Aircraft in Holland as procurement manager. I took courses on the theory of flying and was indoctrinated on those planes whose spare parts would be my responsibility. Being knowledgeable about a plane is not the same as flying it. The safety built into the planes is one thing, pilot error is another. Whenever there was a crash, the investigators wanted to find that it was pilot error. The responsibility to the manufacture for the failure of a part or parts was costly. Since the runway at Schipol airport (Amsterdam) is below sea level, unless the pilot adjusted his instruments accordingly, landing was hazardous and there were numerous landing accidents for that reason - pilot error.

With today's technology and instrumentation, in theory a plane can be programmed to take-off and land without the aid of a pilot, however as the instructor explained, unless there was a pilot in the cockpit, there would be no passengers. The job of a pilot on such a plane is observing the instruments/lights and taking control when they fail. Pre-programmed navigation makes the job of a navigator virtually obsolete, except when the instruments fail.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:45 am

My first ever published work was a magazine article in Flying Magazine about forty years ago. It was about my student pilot engine failure. I'm still waiting to be paid for that article.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Rules for flying high...   

Back to top Go down

New Rules for flying high...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Comedy and Games-
Jump to: