Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

So, There I Was

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12354
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:45 am

Yes, Betty, the sun will come up again tomorrow, and the next day, brightening our lives, and together with the rain, breathing life into the planet. We are only here for a short time; best to make the most of each day and appreciate the loved ones around us. I'm illustrating a Christmas poem to be ready for the Christmas period. Goodness kows why! It will only be read if I give it away. I'm having fun doing it, so I guess there's some value in that.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 4322
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Ah!  Shelagh, I have seen some of your illustrations.  You are a master of detail and wonder.  I often think that some of the most famous of illustrators and writers gave their work away free.  The thing is, you may not get any money for it, but, the world is blessed by your work and so, therefore, it is not really free. It is an enormous contribution to the wellness of the people of this earth.  No one ever knows how far their words may travel.  I am reminded of a child that always reads my books when they are put up on Amazon for free.  She always leaves a little review as a kind of thank  you for having been allowed to read it for free.  Lovely to me.  Keep on, my dear friend Shelagh.  You really are one in a million  Maybe, several million.  Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:35 am

This is such a grand place to post compared to Facebook - yet Facebook seems to have gathered up our friends from here and taken them into their fold, including me.  However, I gave more of my heart here than on Facebook. Facebook to me remains a cold and hard place except for a few intimate friends and family. Whereas, here, it seemed we were all one family, a family with diverse backgrounds and opinions for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Ah, Dk.  You have spoken my heart.  I have just about given up writing stories.  The year has been an inward looking vision for my David and I.  Yet, I am not without the occasional looking out and past our selves and see the stories all around me just begging to be written.  I have been enveloped in the making of money to keep our place. 
The principal of the Duette School hatched for us some baby chickens.  What kindness is that.  They are growing and I know that Margaret the Chicken would be so proud.
Tomorrow, I go for the measurements for the Lasix surgery for my eyes.  I cannot afford the lazer stuff so it will be an implant that is sewn in.  I am a little scared.  My eyes have never been much more than close to blind.  I cannot imagine getting up and seeing, or waking in the night and seeing what is out the window. 
Love to all. Betty
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Good luck with the eye surgery, Betty. My cousin had the laser treatment two years ago after a lifetime of wearing glasses. I can still read without having to change glasses, so I'm reluctant to have surgery if I then have to wear reading glasses!

Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Shelagh, the way I understand it is that I wear contact lenses now and still have to wear reading glasses to see to read.  What I have been told is that if you have enough money for the complete surgery that includes short and long vision, one does not have to wear any glasses after.  Alas!  I am dependent on medicare for my insurance so I can only get the really good long distance vision and will possibly have to resort to reading glasses for up close.  It is a vast improvement over my current vision which is close to blind with cataracts.  It will really be the first time in my life that I can just wake up and see without looking for glasses or putting in contact lenses.  Lately, I have been close to blind in my right eye because of cataract.  I wish that this surgery was available when I was a child.  As it was, I went though the fourth grade blind, running into trees, and not until my 4th grade teacher said, "this child is smart but cannot see" and started writing my lessons that were on the blackboard in a notebook for me to take home and see up close, not one person in my family believed I was blind. Even then, they thought I made it up to get attention.  Miss Hart. She saved my life.  She took me during school to an eye doctor and a week or so later, she took me back.   I came hme with rainbow glasses and could see for the first time in my life. I had to hide for a few days because my mother was mad. I did not care. I could see. I could cry thinking about how it will be to see. Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10309
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Betty, as you know, cataracts are common in older folk.  Fortunately it can be corrected with a new lens in the eye.  I had one done for my left eye and I expect the same for my right eye this year.  Unlike you, I am fortunate to have coverage for this procedure.  It is clear that those who oppose a good healthcare program have not yet needed it. 
The story concerning your problems with your eyes as a young person is difficult to comprehend.  With my family, going to the doctor was not the "Christian" thing to do.  I had a problem with astigmatism and that could have been easily corrected with eye glasses, however prayer, not the doctor, was the treatment.  It wasn't until I needed reading glasses that the astigmatism was corrected.  I suppose I just didn't have the necessary faith for the healing process.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:41 am

Dear Abe,
There is nothing wrong with your faith. 
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello!  Yes, we suffer in this country with the best and the worst medical care - the best for those of means, the worst for those with none and somewhere in between for those with medicare or Obamacare.  Yet, with what little we have, the new administration threatens even that because our legislature and now the presidency is made up of the wealthiest in the land with the best medical care and retirement in the land.  Those who have, have little regard for those who have not.

I tried to use an HMO last year and it was a nightmare of poor medical care.  I opted for a PPO this year and hope for better, though limited care.  One's ability to pay for medical care determines the comforts of one's aging body.  While life is prolonged, the wealthy have a more comfortable prolongment in all respects.

I appreciate those people who understand what it is like to choose between medicine and food.  That was my stepmother though I didn't realize it until I looked in her refrigerator and found only cans of slim fast that she had purchased on sale - her sole food - because her medicine took all her income beyond a paltry social security earned from minimum wage employment for her lifetime. Many times she cut her pills in half or took them every other day.  Fortunately, I was able to improve her situation - but how many others live secret, desperate lives similar to hers and look "okay."

I remain sickened by the election results.  There is no mandate for the Republicans based on the popular vote, only the electoral college count.  There is no mandate to take away social security, medicare and Obamacare - only the relentless ego of the Republicans.  They don't even represent the majority of those voting, only the gerrymandering of republican state legislatures that keep them in Congress. There is a middle ground where existing government departments across the board can be examined and trimmed, even from the inside out.  I favor that, but not at the expense of hard working U.S. citizens who were too uneducated and frustrated to understand that voting for change with no understanding of who is representing the change and for whom, was a danger to us all.

More taxes are required to repair infrastructure, protect citizens, educate children, provide for the elderly who built this country, provide for our first responders and military, and so much more that once showed that democracy was a shining light to the world.  In my opinion, the light for democracy in this nation has gone out.

There is so much wealth in southwest Florida that many of the best physicians refuse to accept any insurance and you must pay them a monthly stipend just to get an appointment - it's called "concierge care."  Medicare accepting doctors are shrinking in numbers as the "concierge" concept grows.

Betty, my mom had the surgery you are having and doesn't mind at all wearing glasses with better vision than before - she's been wearing glasses since in her 40s and she's now 97. 

I haven't had my eyes examined - I don't want to know.  I note that night driving is a major issue and even by day I have trouble reading signs until too late.  However, I read books in the daytime quite well and at night with a night light too.  Of course, the computer is very clear.

I have an issue with my bones because my insurance didn't cover the cost of hormones at the time I needed them.  The medicine I need now to prevent being crippled the rest of my life is not covered by insurance and cost $2000 annually.  From a budget that is already at its limits, that is a budget breaker.  Thus, I have put it off.  Even with "insurance," co-pays and extended costs beyond insurance eat up a limited income rapidly.

The cost of poor preventive medical care is much greater when the consequences begin as the body ages.  Preventive medical care is the most economical approach and what is least done in this country.  Because medical care is so expensive, people don't see physicians until desperately in pain or broken.  Then, the costs of fixes are much higher than preventive care would have been.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:51 am

Good Post, DK.  Your remarks are spot on.  Preventive medicine costs less than emergency care.  I am fortunate that I have preventive medicine where I live.  An annual physical is standard.  It was at one of these annual check-ups that the problem with my heart was discovered.  The subsequent treatment and operation saved my life.  My Insurance Company keeps tab on me with health tips.  If there is a medical question, they have doctors on staff that are available to advise/recommend.  If I told you about the circumstances concerning my wife it would most likely be unbelieved.  I expect to pick her up from the hospital today assuming I can get there safely due to the snow.  Full coverage includes dental and eye care.  There are no deductibles.  We also qualify for free medication.  I remember my sister, now deceased who lived in Florida and halved her tablets trying to save on the cost of prescription drugs.  Her death resulted from the lack of proper medication. 
It is so sad to see and hear about the problems of people in the US that experience problems getting the proper healthcare.  It is sad knowing that it could be better.  The ACA is now under threat by the new GOP administration.  How many people will die before something is done to improve our health care system?  The term “healthcare” is not an accurate term.  “Sickness for profit” is more accurate and available only to those that can afford it.  I simply can’t afford to live in America.  I hope to live a bit longer with dignity. Quality of life is important especially to seniors.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:46 pm

DK and Abe, I have a lot to say about this. First, I must get dinner on.  I wish that Amazon ran health care.!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:52 pm

So, There I was,
Wishing I was more in the know about the politics of the earth and realized I am ignorant of even the geography of the earth and the many cultures of the nations of the earth.  I feel unqualified to talk about anything concerning my own country.  I know in my heart that I do not like bigotry, hate, racism, and many other isms.  I wish that people were kind.  I am not so sure that it is really that simple. I wish it were.  Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Betty - miss you here.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm

It has been a while.  I was listening to the news this night and seeing that the possibility is that 135 mph wind may come flying  this way.  We have spent the day trying to secure Styrofoam pots.  I can see us, like alice in wonderland, flying along.  There really is no place to go.  The highways are packed and the shelters are full.  We have animals and pets.  We with stand our ground.  Be as safe as you can be. Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 pm

Listening to the news about the storm heading your way.  I am concerned for my three brothers and their families living in central Florida as well as friends, like you, that may be in harms way.  Although many are concerned about "Things", it is life itself that is of greater concern and that includes the animals, both wild and domestic.  Hope to hear good news from you when the storm is past.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:27 am

Take care, Betty. This will be a rocky ride, but hopefully you will all come out safely. My thoughts are with you, David, your pets and the whole of Florida.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:36 pm

What Shelagh said.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15348
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:49 pm

What Abe and Shelagh said.  I wish you had come to WA.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Listening to the news this morning, some reporters sounded somewhat disappointed that the storm wasn't as severe as predicted - the hype didn't meet their expectations.  It's not yet over and I hope that it will die out soon.  I'm waiting to hear good news from those that were or still are in the path.

Having said that, being over cautious and prepared is better than the opposite. The downside is that people may not take future warnings as seriously as they should.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:45 am

What's left of hurricane Nate is in my county right now. I almost don't want to mention that because it's very tame at this point and bringing much-needed rain, but contrasted with Irma and Maria and their horrible destruction, it's a gentle shower.

Let's hope this tropical storm season is done.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, There I Was   

Back to top Go down

So, There I Was
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Writers' Blogs-
Jump to: