Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews

Go down 
+2
dkchristi
dtpollard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews Empty
PostSubject: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Everyone can get a bad book review, but I happened to go on my author's page on Amazon and 2 recent book reviews had been posted and they were basically personal attacks and were designed to damage my book's reputation, my reputation and gave away the entire plot of the book. Nasty language and terms and language were used. Of course these reviews were low rates and even recommended other books to read instead of mine. I have no idea why this person or people took such a personal approach in these reviews.

I decided to look into Amazon's policy regarding customer reviews and these reviews violated their guidelines and I asked their review team to remove the reviews. Within 24 hours the reviews were removed and a message from Amazon confirmed that fact. I don't mind a bad review if it was written honestly. I felt that these 2 reviews were linked in some way and the anger was personal with the story and main character almost in a way as if someone like the main character had offended them in real life.

I posted this to let you know that, to my surprise, there is a way to appeal for a review that goes 2 far to be removed.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

One of the authors in my author group had a bad review posted at Amazon also. She described it similarly to what you describe, DT. Additionally, she received emails that were unpleasant. With some sleuthing, she found out that it was a former teacher that worked for her over 20 years ago when she was a school principal. That person stated in the email that her life had been ruined by being fired by that principal. She also posted negative comments to all other sites where my colleagues books were listed and at her web site where an upcoming book signing was announced.

She managed, like you, to get the review removed from Amazon, but it took a major to get it removed from the many other sites. She also felt threatened and asked some friends to watch out for her at the signing.

Other web sites pick up the Amazon.com reviews and so does the Google search engine. You may need to do some more sleuthing.

As published authors, we are in the public arena and subject to people who have issues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:43 pm

And some (well, really, just one on-and-off poster) can't understand why some of us don't care to splash our names and books all over the internet.

I've got some poor Amazon reviews on my trade book, but never looked into removing them (I don't care, they're balanced out by the good ones). However, someone once uploaded weird pictures to my textbook site with the "upload your own images" button. They were quickly removed when I flagged them. What an odd thing to do. Some people really have too much time on their hands.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:10 pm

There are many people in this world whose thinking processes take them to places we would not understand and lead them to similar actions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:19 pm

LC, this had nothing to do with my marketing efforts. These reviews were from people that had purchased the book from Amazon. Amazon has a feature that confirms if the the reviewer had bought the book they were reviewing from Amazon and both of these reviewers had confirmed buyer indicated by their name.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:21 pm

dkchristi wrote:
There are many people in this world whose thinking processes take them to places we would not understand and lead them to similar actions.

Too true!

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:38 pm

DT, I didn't mean to imply it was tied to your marketing efforts. It was just a takeoff from DK's comment about how as published authors, we're in the public arena and subject to people who have issues.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:39 pm

This is getting close to home, so I better clear it up now. I didn't want to discuss it here but I must.

I recently purchased and reviewed one of DT's books, a Kindle book about self-publishing. It was, in my opinion substandard work and overpriced. I posted a one-star review of it. It was an honest review, nothing personal, no bad language, no agenda. I even asked readers of the review to not judge the body of DT's work based on that one book or on my review, that I knew him capable of better work. And I said something like he should take the book off the market and do a better version of it. I still think that.

Recently, after reading countless same-old, same-old books on self-publishing, I decided to try to fill a big void and write one from a different perspective. Given that my review of DT's book could be viewed as a self-aggrandizing attempt to promote my own book, I deleted the review. Amazon did not delete it.

So, if my review is one of the ones being discussed here, I hope this clears the air. I enjoy DT's participation here and usually approve of the positions he takes on often sensitive issues.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Dear DT,
I am sorry that you have experienced this trash. People have told me this is part and parcel of the internet experience. I hope that is not true for long.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
This is getting close to home, so I better clear it up now. I didn't want to discuss it here but I must.

I recently purchased and reviewed one of DT's books, a Kindle book about self-publishing. It was, in my opinion substandard work and overpriced. I posted a one-star review of it. It was an honest review, nothing personal, no bad language, no agenda. I even asked readers of the review to not judge the body of DT's work based on that one book or on my review, that I knew him capable of better work. And I said something like he should take the book off the market and do a better version of it. I still think that.

Recently, after reading countless same-old, same-old books on self-publishing, I decided to try to fill a big void and write one from a different perspective. Given that my review of DT's book could be viewed as a self-aggrandizing attempt to promote my own book, I deleted the review. Amazon did not delete it.

So, if my review is one of the ones being discussed here, I hope this clears the air. I enjoy DT's participation here and usually approve of the positions he takes on often sensitive issues.
Al I read your review of my self-publishing book and had no problem with it. Your review was not one I was referring to. I wrote that self-publishing book for novices that are mainly trying to publish their first eBook for Kindle or Nook and possibly for paperback. That book is more of a brief guide for getting the books laid out, submitted and published with decent cover art. The cover art section on how to create covers for books and ebooks is where a novice will save a ton. Someone that has self-published before is more advanced than that book already. Some people are very raw and want to publish an eBook and I actually see them ready to pay a graphic artist hundreds to do a book cover and dig a huge cost hole that they would never recover from, stopping that from happening is huge.

That is why that book is in eBook form only as it can be easily returned it it does not meet the needs of the buyer.

As for pricing, I rarely price anything below $2.99. I have two collections of less than 20 poems that sell for $2.99. Some authors are selling their large eBooks for $1.99, but the major publishers are sticking to around $9.99 for eBook titles. My prices range from $2.99 to $5.99 for eBooks unless it is a sampler which is $.99 or $1.25. A lot of people will buy a $.99 sampler and later purchase a book based upon one of the sample chapters. Independent authors should place a price on their work that will generate a worthwhile return.

The people or persons that wrote the other reviews have some other kind of issue that went into something that dealt with their self worth.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Ok, DT. Thanks for easing my mind. If you want to discuss my criticisms of your book privately, I am willing. Then you can tear into mine if I ever get it finished. If not, that's okay, too.

Al
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews   I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews Empty

Back to top Go down

I Had Amazon Remove 2 Malicious Reviews
Page 1 of 1