Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

gone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 am

gone for good

Last edited by learningcurve on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 am

The competition is stiff. Unless you have a celebrity endorsement, a known name, a promotional machine - why would anyone find or buy your book? The fact that anywhere near a hundred people enjoy your book is already more than many - who may never sell even one book even though it's published by a respected press, small or large.

Think of the $100,000's spent by publishers to promote books, get them end cap space in book stores, promotional ops on talk shows and press reviews. They give away 100's of 1000's of books!

From what I see, it takes a novice a series of great books, one right on the heels of another, to build a following and eventually move into thousands of sales - over time. The rare book takes off, just like the rare video at YouTube. You may yet write that rare book if you have the determination and persistence to continue - or not. In the meantime, be pleased that you have accomplished what many only think about - a published book. Congrats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
mpride1122
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-25

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:14 am

Learning Curve-- Congratulations on your success so far. For observers like myself, who are behind the power curve, we are encouraged by even your limited success.

You have done what others only dream of doing. You have broken through. You are accomplished (by mine and other unpublished writers' standards). I know you want to turn accomplishment into lucrative advantage, but it will take time and patience. And faith. Maybe you'll "make it," whatever that 'it' is... or maybe you won't; it all depends on how you define your parameters. If you enjoy writing-- write. Write to your heart's content. You may not change the world through your writing, but seek to change ONE person's view of the world and do it with passion and love.

Keep your head up-- and we'll be looking for news of your future work and success... MP

Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 am

Nobody goes to Smashwords to buy a book unless they were directed there by the author. I would need to see the context of their "best seller list" to give it meaning. I never heard of Kobe or Diesel, and I doubt many even browse barnesandnoble.com or amazon.com -they already know what they want, having seen it in Barnes and Noble's physical stores. This "you'll be on Smashwords" is turning out to be the modern day snakeoil, pushed by people who are doing a very good job convincing authors that their venues are just as valid.
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: thanks people   Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:21 am

.thank you for your very helpful comments.
I was going to leave but decided against it. I'm glad I did because I know I'm going to like it here.

I'm just bouncing for joy I'm so happy to stay. bounce

I chose the Queen from Snow White as my avatar because she scared the heck out of me as a child. She didn't when she was ugly and horrible.

When evil shows itself to be evil it loses its ability to frighten I think.

Last edited by learningcurve on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12352
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 am

LC isn't interested in success stories; there are too few of them. However, whether LC agrees/likes it or not, ebooks give everyone the opportunity to become successful. Here's another success story (as with Amanda Hocking the key seems to be in prolific not polished writing:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/smashwords-author-brian-s-pratt-to-earn-over-100000-in-2011/

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm

learningcurve congratulations on what you've already managed. Marketing your books is what will get people buying them, and it's a big job but it sounds like you are up for the challenge. I wish you lots of success! For me, chocolate helps on a down day, and copious amounts of espresso laced caffeine followed by a good long walk.

LC the Kobe is Canada's answer to the Kindle. It was developed here and is sold by Chapters Indigo. It's an amazing gadget, although I really like my Sony e-reader too.

Shelagh I am getting more and more prolific, so maybe that'll be the (not so) secret to success for all of us. clickety clack clickety clack
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:06 pm

learningcurve wrote:
Well L.C. that's where ebooks are marketed.

ebooks aren't marketed on Smashwords, they're uploaded to it. All kinds of ebooks, self-published, small-published -it's a giant slush pile. No one browses it. You're lucky you sold 38 copies.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:11 pm

As I understand it, Smashwords is one path to getting an ebook into Apple's iBook store, and there aren't many others.

With smashwords, you can specify which outlets they are to use, and you are free to publish yourself for Kindle and Nook.

Irrespective of how you go about getting your ebook to the marketplace, it needs the author to promote it. None of them do much of anything about getting the book into the public eye. You have to do that.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859

PostSubject: Re: gone   Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

LC wrote:
learningcurve wrote:
Well L.C. that's where ebooks are marketed.

ebooks aren't marketed on Smashwords, they're uploaded to it. All kinds of ebooks, self-published, small-published -it's a giant slush pile. No one browses it. You're lucky you sold 38 copies.

"Giant slush pile". I'm stealing this for next time someone talks about Smashwords.
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: i was going but i decided to stay.   Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:42 am

thanks to those who offered me constructive advice.

I did write a rather angry comment about some others here , but changed my mind as they aren't worth it.

I have decided to stay.

Last edited by learningcurve on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:36 am

Sorry to see a forum member depart; but each person has priorities. Just a note: forums are also for promotion. The Google search bots will pick up posts from here. Those members with positive intentions and thoughtful posts may have their words read by others who look for their published works also and buy them. Posting here takes five minutes from my day and often inspires me for hours of solitude with my computer and works in progress.

For some of us, we have been acquainted through forums for many years. We are invested in the lives of those with whom we communicate here and look forward to meeting new members who add zest and diversity to the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:06 am

dkchristi wrote:
Sorry to see a forum member depart; but each person has priorities. Just a note: forums are also for promotion. The Google search bots will pick up posts from here. Those members with positive intentions and thoughtful posts may have their words read by others who look for their published works also and buy them. Posting here takes five minutes from my day and often inspires me for hours of solitude with my computer and works in progress.

For some of us, we have been acquainted through forums for many years. We are invested in the lives of those with whom we communicate here and look forward to meeting new members who add zest and diversity to the forum.

thank you DK.
I've decided to stay and I do thank you for what you said.
You made a great deal of sense.

Again thanks.
Back to top Go down
mpride1122
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-25

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 am

Learning Curve-- while query letters and proposals sit in mail boxes and inboxes, I work off nervious energy by perusing the web and visiting sites like this one.

It is a good forum for like-minded individuals with different takes on life and different world-views who all have a passion for writing. Some are more accomplished than others, but we all learn something new. I have not been a member of this forum for long, but in the short amount of time I have been here, members have critiqued my work critically, and I'm all the better for it. I have personally developed and strengthened my writing by using suggestions to improve that some of my friends and family (who aren't as enthusiastic in the creative department) have simply glossed over.

Even subjects and topics I did not start or participate in, I read to gain a perspective or "world view" I do not inherently possess, and it provides interesting material, if for nothing more than food for thought.

I don't use or consider everything said on this forum for self-improvement (no offense to the members), but I accept all voices with a grain-of-salt.

Glad to see that you're sticking around. You commented to one of my earlier responses that everything you've submitted to be published was accepted, and I'd be interested to see some of your work. Do you have a website a way to direct us to your work... thanks... MP
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 am

mpride1122 wrote:
Learning Curve-- while query letters and proposals sit in mail boxes and inboxes, I work off nervious energy by perusing the web and visiting sites like this one.

It is a good forum for like-minded individuals with different takes on life and different world-views who all have a passion for writing. Some are more accomplished than others, but we all learn something new. I have not been a member of this forum for long, but in the short amount of time I have been here, members have critiqued my work critically, and I'm all the better for it. I have personally developed and strengthened my writing by using suggestions to improve that some of my friends and family (who aren't as enthusiastic in the creative department) have simply glossed over.

Even subjects and topics I did not start or participate in, I read to gain a perspective or "world view" I do not inherently possess, and it provides interesting material, if for nothing more than food for thought.

I don't use or consider everything said on this forum for self-improvement (no offense to the members), but I accept all voices with a grain-of-salt.

Glad to see that you're sticking around. You commented to one of my earlier responses that everything you've submitted to be published was accepted, and I'd be interested to see some of your work. Do you have a website a way to direct us to your work... thanks... MP

you make a great deal of sense. Yes, you are absolutely right.

Yes in the past three years every single thing I sent was accepted for publication.
Now, this is funny and it's true! One story wasn't which i submitted one year later to another magazine and it was their story of the month!

the really hysterical thing was on Sunday the publisher who had rejected that story (possibly an editor had) then wrote to me privately on Facebook (we're friends there) to ask me to please submit stories for two of his publications!

VINDICATION!!!!!!!!!

seriously i did do a cartwheel or two i have to say!

i got my share of rejections in the past. it's the last three years that have been really great.

I will write to you privately and give you my website info.

i prefer to remain in the shadows at present!

just pm'd you! wrote you a second message with links i think you'd like, but it doesn't show up in my sent folder! argg!
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 am

Quote :
"Giant slush pile". I'm stealing this for next time someone talks about Smashwords.

Do the people who love Smashwords so much browse it regularly for reading material themselves? How much do they purchase from it, I wonder?
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 am

I don't go to Smashwords unless I'm directed there. I don't browse it casually at all.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12352
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 am

LC wrote:
Quote :

Do the people who love Smashwords so much browse it regularly for reading material themselves? How much do they purchase from it, I wonder?
One answer here:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/the-annual-ebook-spring-cleaning-what-i-learned-this-year/

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 am

Shelagh, that's an interesting link.
there have been many changes in publishing and it will continue.
one is reminded of the Luddites who tried to hold change back. this of course can never be done. things change and the dust settles and we just adapt (most of us).

thanks.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 am

learningcurve -how often do you browse Smashwords for new reading material, and how much have you bought there?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:35 am

Shelagh wrote:
One answer here:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/the-annual-ebook-spring-cleaning-what-i-learned-this-year/

From your link:

"Before there was Smashwords, the big indie goldmine was the Fictionwise multiformat book, and I used to get suckered in to spending on the new stuff with the promise of rebates I could use to get a dozen of these pretty much for free. This turned out to be a costly regret. Fictionwise did not allow reviews and most of these books had no samples; I bought blind on the strength of the plot description, and it turned out that in many cases, I bought stupid. Of the ones I actually read, most were mediocre at best. And of the ones I hadnít yet read, most of them didnít look all that compelling or well produced when opened up and sampled.
In my mind, Smashwords is a huge step up because it allows for both samples and reviews."

A huge step up from what? From an indie site that didn't allow samples and from which she bought lousy stuff? This must be what the phrase "faint praise" means.

How many people browse and buy from lousy indie sites? Enough to generate 38 sales, apparently. But learningcurve didn't seem happy with that. I guess the vast majority of people are all Luddites?

BTW, my trade nonfic has sold 80K copies during its 22 year lifetime. The vast majority being from physical bookshelves. I prefer being a Luddite. Puts more money in my pocket.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:39 am

zizban wrote:
I don't go to Smashwords unless I'm directed there. I don't browse it casually at all.

You must be a Luddite.
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:47 am

LC wrote:
learningcurve -how often do you browse Smashwords for new reading material, and how much have you bought there?

actually very often. I go there to buy ebooks, frankly i like to avoid the shipping charges from America. it's pricey! i'm in the U.K.

I love spending very little and getting the book I want.
So for me it's ideal.
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 am

LC wrote:
zizban wrote:

You must be a Luddite.

I wouldn't be surprised! lol!
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: gone   Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 am

Such a Luddite that my book is coming out from a (primarily) ebook outfit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gone   

Back to top Go down

gone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Authors-
Jump to: