Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...

Go down 
+2
alj
mpride1122
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mpride1122
One Star Member
One Star Member
mpride1122

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-25

Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... Empty
PostSubject: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:16 am

Would anyone be so kind as to please answer an amatuer question: is it ok (or even legal) to use a title for a book that is already being used by another story in print, even if that story is in a completely different genre of fiction?

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I am curious about everyone's opinion. I have the perfect title for my next story already in mind, but was terribly disappointed to learn the title is already claimed by a book published in 1989 in a completely different genre of fiction. I don't want to let go of the title, but am afraid I must...

What is the conventional wisdom in solving my dilemma (I'm haven't yet ruled out pouting and throwing a temper tantrum... Mad )?

MP Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:06 am

You cannot copyright a title, including the titles of chapters within a work, but some publishers might want you to use something that is unique to your work so that it will not be confused with another. This would be especially cogent if the other title is currently in print.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 am

There are several books with the title "The Power of Persuasion" -- none of them fiction. The "Persuasion" in the title is from one of Jane Austen's novels, and is perfect for my book. However, the books with the same title have sold far more copies than mine, which means my book sinks almost without trace on search engines. Something you might want to consider if you do go ahead with your first choice of title.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:14 am

Yep, you can call your work anything you want. I had to change the name of my novel because someone *just* released a novel of the same genre with the same title as mine.
Though I did not HAVE to change it, I did, because;
1: They just released theirs before me, and I wanted to be courteous.
2: I did not want any confusion.
3: After thinking about it, I found an even better title then what I previously thought was perfect.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:27 pm

lowen wrote:
Yep, you can call your work anything you want.
Not quite. Some titles include branded trademarks and you cannot use them. If you try to publish, "Yak-milking For Dummies," for example, you'll hear from Wiley's lawyers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Granted on the 'for dummies' concept. However, just using 'Yak-milking' is fair game.
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Here's my question: why would you want your work to share a title with someone else's?
I would think you'd rather have your story/novel stand out.
Just thinking...that always gets me in trouble. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
mpride1122
One Star Member
One Star Member
mpride1122

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:26 pm

First, please allow me to thank all of you for your responses. I strangely thought you could copy right titles, but that wasn't an educated guess... it was just a blind baseless assumption.

Quote :
Here's my question: why would you want your work to share a title with someone else's?

referencing the quote above by the user Madhatter, I do not WANT to name my work after another; I want to use the best title for my work. I am just disappointed to learn the best title for my work according to my own perspective is already taken. However, as the user Lowen pointed out, after he was "forced" to change titles, he realized an even better title went with his work than the previously perfect-title... so I am currently open to finding another title.

And all this for a story I haven't even started writing yet... But thanks for the food for thought...

MP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...   Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story... Empty

Back to top Go down

Question on a 'Do' or 'Don't' when titling your story...
Page 1 of 1