Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

FriesenPress

Go down 
+7
Al Stevens
Betty Fasig
Abe F. March
dkchristi
Shelagh
RetiredName
lowen
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-03-10

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm

I was just contacted by this company. They said that someone informed them about my book. They are a self-publish company. Is self publish i good route to take on a 1st novel? And anyone heard of the company "FriesenPress"?
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

No, you should definitely try commercial publication first. What genre is your book? Length?

It costs several hundred dollars with little chance you'll earn your money book.

If you want to self publish, there are much better alternatives.
Back to top Go down
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Well, it is fantasy. 100k words, (give or take).
Also, I am using Kickstarter.com to help get some money to publish and/or advertise.
And in doing that, I am guaranteeing so many books sold. I have to sell over 300 novels to make the mark for money to exchange hands on the site. But then if I do, I have to send those novels. If I sell 300 novels on the site though, that's definitely enough money to self publish if needed. (I think) .
And if I do sell 300 copies on my own, can't I use that as a selling point to other publishers?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:50 am

I don't think you will sell 300 copies -- which is the reason for the 300 threshold. Very few, if any, will sell that many books but most newcomers to the publishing business know little about sales and how difficult it is to sell without spending money to generate an interest and produce sales. Self-publishers who claim great success almost certainly, initially, spent more on making sales than they made in profit from those sales.

I would consider uploading your book to Smashwords and offering 50% as a free download. While promoting the book and trying to generate a few sales, work on your next novel and upload that. This will take time, during which you will find out how difficult it is and give you feedback about what to do next: self-publish in print or find a small press publisher.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 4:56 am

300 copies is nothing to commercial publishers. My publisher will sending 100 copies out as review copies when the time comes.

Definitely start with a commercial publisher and start at the top and work your way down.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 5:58 am

That's not helpful, Chris. You started here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

One four star review and a sales rank that suggests you sold one book.

You can read about this top commercial publisher (Virtual Tales) here:

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks, Shelagh, for always providing a reference for your help. It's easy to give advice; to provide references validates the information. Unfortunately, much information flows through the Internet that is opinion or conjecture and is not supported by fact. New writers, in particular, are easily led down a path of expectation that may not be realistic. It generally ends up costing more money than they anticipated.

I would say that even with substantial sales, my first book broke even when I count the foolish money I spent on marketing because I was initially "easily led." I participated in too many contests (at $75 a whack) and book festivals ($50 for table space) and purchased ads. I also bought too many books because there were festivals that I did not attend for which I purchased books. Oh, I forgot to add in mileage and hotel costs. This is fine if a second income is available; without one, it's painful.

A friend who went with a small press was convinced to buy nearly $2500 worth of her own books to start even though there were no costs for publication. She was convinced she was America's next best selling author - she's probably sold a hundred books at local gatherings at clubs where she is a member. I read her book; a nice story and well-written - but I could barely stay interested enough to read until the end. It was a good story, but it was "flat." That's the difference. A best-seller holds a reader - the kind of book you read instead of going out to dinner because you can't stop until it's done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 am

Good post Diane.
Back to top Go down
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:14 am

Ok, that you all for your advice. I will check out site you provided Shelagh. I am and will continue to, send my work to traditional publisher's. I was just looking for a way I could get my name out and possibly sell a few on my own while building a small rep.
I have yet to have any HONEST criticism on my book. Even though I have the 1st couple chapters of my book on my facebook group, none are critics or editors, or even written anything of their own. Sure, people say it is good. However, a lot of these people I know outside of the novel. I wish I could get an honest opinion from someone who can let me know if it is even marketable.
I love writing, and will write till my dying days. But I don't want to spend my efforts trying to publish something that will not ever get published since it is not really good enough. Yes, I do get depressed a lot over this. But I forge on.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:41 am

Two hours ago, I posted this on Published Authors on LinkedIn:

A week ago, I uploaded The Power of Persuasion onto Smashwords. The book was downloaded 162 times in just over twenty-four hours. On Sunday I set the price at $2.99 and no more downloads were made. Since Sunday, the first three chapters (free) have been downloaded three times. The book is currently #327 of 965 ebooks in the Literary category.

To put this into further context, I uploaded Literature & Fiction Interviews Volume I in December 2009. This is a free book and has been downloaded 380 times. It is currently #132 in the Literary category:

Of the top 100 books in the Literary category, 22 books are priced and 78 books are free. The top three books are priced and range from $0.99 - $5.99.

The Literature & Fiction Interviews books (Volumes I and II) were always intended as promotional books and meant to be offered as free ebooks. However, The Power of Persuasion, is a work of literary fiction intended for the buying public. The above evidence tends to suggest that the book will only be of interest as a free download -- the equivalent of placing books in libraries without making the initail sales of the print books to the libraries.

Quite a conundrum!

I received this reply:

To make the situation even more confusing, I offer this:
I added a book to Smashwords as a free sample of my work, Humorous Yarns and Other Stuff. It's been downloaded from there over 500 times since last September. Sony also offers it and it has been downloaded well over a hundred times and Sony charges $.99 a pop of which I get nada. As a test, I changed the Smashword price to $.99 and the downloads stopped. I changed the price to "pay what you want" and the downloads still haven't picked up again.

To which I added:

There seems to be two things at play here. The price and the speed of download. If a reader has to pay for a book, the process involves going through the checkout before downloading. If the book is free, the book can be downloaded immediately.

I wonder if the number of free downloads would go down if readers had to click on more than one button?

The problem you are experiencing, Lawrence, is the same for all authors. This is a very tough business.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Shelagh wrote:
That's not helpful, Chris. You started here:

One four star review and a sales rank that suggests you sold one book.

You can read about this top commercial publisher (Virtual Tales) here:

Ya but I learned my lesson.

And I wouldn't criticizing publishers, Shelagh. You don't don't know a fucking thing about commercial publishing. Zero, zilch. Nada.

You are a bitter, failed PublishAmerica author who runs a press that doesn't get books on bookstore shelves, period.

Virtual Tales may not either but they are ebooks.

So I would shut the fuck up now before you look like a total ignorant.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, Lawrence, I will leave you to decide whether Chris (zizban) is or is not a reliable source of advice about the publishing business.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Shelagh, if I were the administrator I would block that person who posts in such foul language regarding you. You don't have to put up with that. It is uncalled for, completely. I am offended for you.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks DK! To be offended, you have to respect someone first.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Dear Shelagh,
You have always given fair advice. I respect you.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:50 am

Thanks Betty! It's mutual.
Back to top Go down
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:18 am

Ok, Cris, (zizban) I do understand about wanting to stay faithful to publishers and keep it traditional.
However, I would not be reverting to foul language to Shelagh. (especially since she is the admin.) I do want to go traditionally. But I will do whatever I can to get my name out to increase sales.
She has already given good advise in the form of publishers for me to look into. Of which I am greatly appreciative. I agree with you about writing everyday though. Even though some days I feel depressed and skip, I make up for when I finally do write because I have so much built up inside me.
Any advise to help me in my writing skills or getting my book out I will look into.
Thank you all.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:58 am

I had all kinds of reponses I wanted to post here. But then Shelagh set the good example that she is, and I reconsidered.

I'll let the Duke say it for me.

Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Nice party. Laughing
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 1:09 pm

Zizban, why do you even post here? It's obvious you don't like anyone here (not just Shelagh). So what's the point? Just wondering.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Well, Shelagh. I see I'm in very good company.

Something to take perverse pride in.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, I see that Shelagh has some very good friends here that come to her defense when it is appropriate.
But back on my topic..lol.
This 'self publish' company called me today. And they were telling me that they do not just do the self publishing thing. That they are part of some large conglomerate and they actually print more books in North America than any other company and have strong ties with 80% of the traditional publishers.
She also stated that they have their own website to sell my books and supply 80% of the book sellers in North America, (aka Barnes and Nobles, Waldenbooks, Walmart, etc.)
She said that 'if' my novel sold in the top 5% of their sells,(what they sell and what I do on my own) That they then send in my novel to these traditional publisher's as a representative of my work.
I've never looked at editing though, and the pricing for it. She informed me that a professional editor, (which they can provide if I want) cost's are high, total # words/100 x $3.50. But, then she said I could look for an english major in a local university who is looking at being an editor and contact them for much cheaper.
This company seems very legit to me. They do not seem to just want to get my money, but want me to succeed in what i do.

Any thoughts?

Lawrence.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:33 pm

That's what they want you to think. It's a vanity press.

If you want to go the self-publish route and want hardcopy, check out lulu.com and createspace.com. Costs zero, and your book is listed on amazon. You pay only for the copies you want.

If you want to publish an e-book, get any of the many tutorials for how to turn a word document into a Kindle book and publish it. It's really quite easy, and all the software you need is free. You don't even need a Kindle. The Kindle for PC program is free.

I know of no reason for an author to pay anyone to publish an e-book or to even pay royalties for one. That might stir up some debate here as folks defend their choices, and I'm willing to listen to all arguments, but short of being totally techno-challenged, in which case you call in your geek, gear-head nephew, there's no reason you can't do it yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
lowen
One Star Member
One Star Member
lowen

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Yes, I am somewhat techno challenged, but nearly ALL of my friends have degree's in the stuff...lol.
However, the e-book thing has piqued my interest, and I have heard of lulu.com, however not createspace.com. My problem is that I do not have a large forum or network to advertise, or even edit my own material. Apparently writing and selling the book is not the half of publishing a novel.
Many of you on here have so much info and experience in the field of writing that I feel somewhat intimidated. I have never even went to college. But I cannot stop writing myself. Hard to explain. I guess it is like a drug that I am addicted to. If I quit writing for any period of time it is like I go through withdraws. I just need to finish this novel, publish it one way or another, and get the 'first time experience' behind me.
There is so much to learn, and I am positive the info I need is here in all of your blogs. I just want someone from the writing field to read my material and give me an honest opinion of my writing. If it is not 'publishing material', then I can still be happy writing stories for friends to enjoy. I just do not want delusions of grandeur thinking I can write well.
I will post my prelude and first two chapters in the blog set for that here in this forum. I plead with anyone who can stomach fantasy writing to read it and give an honest opinion. It is filed in 'first chapters', and there is a link to Facebook where it is posted. In that 'first chapters' blog, it says to put a link to it so I did. Not wanting to fill space by pasting the entirety of the work there, (unless instructed to). I have no other web site to link it to
Remember though, this is a rough copy. No editing yet. Just straight from my head onto the digital paper.
I really want to thank EVERYONE who has taken time out of their precious lives to give advise to a newbie in their midst.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Please find a critique group and writing club either in your town or online. You will likely find their advice will be similar to this forum. When your work is perfect, seek out a traditional press. A critique group often has affordable or free edits available.

A vanity press will gain you no more help than doing it yourself except for what you pay for. A friend of mine just went with a local vanity press that sounds much like what you are getting from this press. She has cornered me many times to find out how to do a book signing, how to get reviews, etc. and she bought a ton of books to be in their top %. They saw her coming....I've read her book. I mentioned it before on this form. It has an interesting story, is gramatically correct and technically well-written. It's flat. That's the difference between books picked up by major pubs and those who are not - a major pub selects books that fire the reader, not just "a good story."

However, good stories may sell well with a small press that has target audiences. There are no costs for acceptance by a small press. Many are quite helpful to their authors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FriesenPress Empty
PostSubject: Re: FriesenPress   FriesenPress Empty

Back to top Go down

FriesenPress
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: