Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Write4Love

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-03-14

Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book? Empty
PostSubject: Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book?   Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Which do you think better promotes a text version of a book, whether paperback or ebook?

If the objective is to sell text books, not to make money off the ebook, wouldn't podcasting be better? However, if significant sales revenue might come from the audiobook itself, maybe it is short-sighted to just think of the audio version as a promotional item. Any thoughts from those who have gone one route or the other?

Do any of you subscribe to podcasts of any books, and if so, did it lead to your buying the text version?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book?   Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm

My only experience with podcasts on the Internet is a self-published friend of mine who wrote one book, self-published it, had a video company do his podcasts and presents all over the U.S. by booking rooms at hotels, advertising and doing workshops where he sells the books. The book is about using your brain - and in my opinion is a simpleton book - but his sales pitch and charm supports a wife and children in pretty nice style.

He sells audio books also, and gives them away as free advertising for his meetings and books. He uses all the methods, including YouTube and some crazy stunts. He is just charismatic - pure charm - his book is his tool but he could could probably sell pottery and do as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Write4Love

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book?   Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks, DK. I don't think I'd quite go the route of the hotel workshops, but sounds like your friend is making good use of the promotional value of audio and video in selling BOOKS. Which again makes me think that the thing to sell may be the book, with everything else a giveaway, or as close to free as it can get and still cover production costs.
Back to top Go down
e.d.dunlop

e.d.dunlop

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book?   Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book? EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 am

Recently, I've been thinking about doing a podcast as a way of promoting my book. In my research, I ran across the site Podiobooks.com. Check it out and let me know if this info is helpful to you.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://edelorycedunlop.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book?   Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book? Empty

Back to top Go down

Free Podcasts or Paid Audio Book?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Audio Books-
Jump to: