Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Querying lots of agents

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
sirx16

sirx16

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-30

Querying lots of agents - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:03 pm

No. Its halfway done - I stopped writing it to focus on the first book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sinexia.net
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:07 pm

You can't pitch a halfway done novel to anyone. Finish it first. However, if the first in the series doesn't sell well, I think you've sunk the second. So maybe you should hold off finishing it, because you may want to make it a stand-alone.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Okay, I just went to AW and read your thread. You got a world of good advice from some savvy people. You should fall down and kiss their rings. Coming over here and whining about the treatment of your book over there might win points with a few who don't bother to look into it, but really, why did you ask if you didn't want to hear the truth? They were all respectful, encouraging and helpful. What more could you want?

There are no overnight successes in this racket. You have to write for a long time just to get the hang of your mouse, much less punch out a masterpiece. And along the way, you have to brace yourself for some harsh rejection. Lots of it.

Keep at it, and don't give up. And heed the advise of your peers. The folks here can be gentler. But that'a not always what you want. Nothing like a kick in the pants to send you back to square one.

So tell me, what are you doing here? You should be studying Strunk and White as advised.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
sirx16

sirx16

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:52 pm

I never said they didn't give any good advice, I said they didn't have anything positive to say - i actually took the advice they gave. I'm in management, and my employees will tell you that I'm always telling them about delivery. I wasn't whining, I just noticed a correlation.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12601
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 3:07 am

sirx16 wrote:
I just sent out 8 queries. Hoping for positive feedback! - On the subject of AW's forum. Honestly I found them to be a bunch of Naysayers! They didnt have anything positive to say to me at all. Admittedly, I made some mistakes but there was not one positive thing they had to say about me, my website, or my book! I think one person may have said something to the effect of " your covers cool but covers don't sell books!" My fiancee is an 4.0 grad student in the English department at University Lafayette Louisiana and it was she who told me to stop talking to them. I was beating myself up and second guessing myself because of what they were saying and I think it may be the best advice I have ever gotten. My book is finally out and I've gotten nothing but positive feedback so far! Still, I'm the new kid!
Far be it from me to support anyone over at AW! They ripped me apart because of my publisher and yet treated me with the utmost respect on the Stories of Strength board (I contributed to the anthology, Stories of Strength, to raise money for disaster relief charities). What's more, they didn't see that they treated me differently depending on where I posted on the forum! From my viewing of the WIP board, I never saw anyone attacked over their writing. Negative comments are hard to take and writers always fight back when cornered. However, the criticism that nags at you, and won't go away, is something for which you should be thankful. If any of those nagging thoughts made you change and improve your work, you should go back and thank the people who gave up their time to read your stuff. Just think about it, okay?

Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins 2017

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue May 31, 2011 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
sirx16

sirx16

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:02 am

I have thanked them, I was just amazed that no one had anything nice to say at all. I felt like I was being jumped! The first thing I do when I have to tell someone about their flaws is find their strengths and tell them what they are doing right first. Then I move into the improvements. I don't expect everyone to operate like me, but I was just amazed by the collective lack of anything good to say. I don't know, maybe it cause I'm from Louisiana. Maybe local folks are too nice!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 8:11 am

I'm grateful for anyone that reads my work. I have several manuscripts I have agreed to critique and just find it painful to read some of them. Yet, others have done that painful work for me. It's not easy reading through some stories with all the common mistakes new authors make.

I just read a self-published book by a friend, and the content had elements that were compelling; yet, it was so disjointed and flitted from place to place such that I never felt compelled to turn the page. In fact, I kept wanting to write it over because many sections were artfully written and included beautiful language.

There's just a certain "spark" that needs to be infused that marks the pro from the amateur even though the work itself may be a great story and basically well written. I think it's that "spark" that an agent or publisher recognizes when selecting a manuscript to publish - the spark that will capture the current reading audience.

Everyone has great stories to tell; it's the art of getting them on paper in a manner that attracts readers that makes the difference. A great critic can help that process.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:40 am

Quote :
I have thanked them, I was just amazed that no one had anything nice to say at all

Maybe there was nothing nice to say about it. This isn't third grade, where false positive affirmation is needed to keep self-esteem up. Nor is it a management assessment of an employee. They're doing you enough of a favor by critiquing your work (for free).
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 12:08 pm

What Elsie said. ^^^
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12601
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:32 pm

We can revert to being gentle with you, but the publishing world is surrounded by shark-infested water!

Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ Querying lots of agents - Page 3 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10697
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 am

Thought this might be of interest.
I queried an Agent and was pleased to get a response. Here is what he said:

Thanks for the query.
I’m sorry but I’m overwhelmed with submissions and this didn’t pique my interest
enough to add to my pile of manuscripts. Good luck to
you."

I was pleased to get a response. Failing to pique his interest tells me what is wrong. I must work on that.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 5:52 am

It's useful. I wouldn't mind getting feedback like that. It's better than an ignore.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10697
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 am

I agree LC. I was pleased to get a response. At least I know he read what I sent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Querying lots of agents   Querying lots of agents - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Querying lots of agents
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Agents-
Jump to: