Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Celebration, Florida?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Celebration, Florida? Empty
PostSubject: Celebration, Florida?   Celebration, Florida? EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Any of you Floridians know what this place like? I've heard of it, but got interested again, ironically, when I read this current story:

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/police-investigate-first-homicide-in-disney-town-of-celebration/19742175

Is Celebration a retirement place? A family place? Are there a lot of jobs in the area? Is it sort of like living in Disneyworld (fake, lol)?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Celebration, Florida?   Celebration, Florida? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 6:42 am

I seem to remember some discussion about setting up such communities while I was at Epcot during the early 80's. Celebration sounds like the type of community they were planning.

The story reminds me of Poe's short story, "The Masque of the Red Death." Prince Prospero's attempt to establish a walled city to keep out the plague didn't work, either. It's also a bit like my mythical Volara in And Adam was a Gardener. Attempting to repress evil doesn't work. It just goes underground and pops back up when you least expect it.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Celebration, Florida?   Celebration, Florida? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 am

Well, from what little I've read of it, I never got the impression the developers were trying to "keep out evil." Rather, it appeared they were trying to recreate an old-timey (or a nostalgic perception of old-timey) community where neighbors actually talked to each other.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Celebration, Florida?   Celebration, Florida? Empty

Back to top Go down

Celebration, Florida?
Page 1 of 1