Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

On Following One's Bliss

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

On Following One's Bliss Empty
PostSubject: On Following One's Bliss   On Following One's Bliss EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:09 am

Quote :
Moyers: Do you ever have the sense of...being helped by hidden hands?
Campbell:All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the timeónamely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth with Bill Moyers

For me, it most often comes in the form of books. I go to a bookstore (or these days, maybe surf the net), and feel a compulsion to buy something I see. The title, or cover seems to be calling me. Sometimes, then, I get it home and start to read, and wonder why I wanted it, so I put it on the shelf. Invariably, maybe even a few years later, a situation comes up, that book comes to mind, I pull it from the shelf (or my reader), and find in it the solution I was looking for, or at least the next step toward it.

Does that mean that life is easy? Not at all. I think we were meant to have problems so that we have to work at finding solutions. We were meant to deal with tragedy so that we could appreciate the comedies. Maybe some of us are not supposed to have a large audience. Maybe we are simply supposed to share our voices by speaking to those around us, by adding just a little bit of a new perspective that can be heard, and then adapted and passed on to the next few.

People here have written, sometimes, about fulfillment, and how one comes to experience it. Maybe a better word is contentment. Maybe it's more about being happy where you are, with what you have, doing what you can.

I'm writing more these days, listening to my muse, which seems to be taking on a new form, and leading me into newer story lines and directions. I'm not sure yet where they are headed, but I'm enjoying the journey. That's part of why I've been less vocal here, but I'm still around, and will be.

This morning, I'm feeling very contented. Hope all of you guys are, too.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: On Following One's Bliss   On Following One's Bliss EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:37 am

Great post.

What I'm fixating on though, is you "pulling it from the reader." With me, out of mind, out of sight. I would never remember that I have a specific book on a reader, and hence never find it years later. Unlike seeing a book on my shelves.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10680
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: On Following One's Bliss   On Following One's Bliss EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:59 am

Ann,
good provoking thoughts.
I think it comes down to awareness. To be conscious of how or what we're thinking helps us stay focused. Unfortunately, awareness is illusive.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: On Following One's Bliss   On Following One's Bliss EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 7:16 am

I'm having a bit of an awareness problem this morning, Abe. I answered LC's comment, but seem to have lost it. Guess I hit the wrong button.

I'm still getting used to the reader, LC, and apparently, still having trouble posting on message boards. Creeping senility?

When following my bliss, though, it can help to let go of the need for awareness and focus, and just let things happen. It's a kind of discovery process.

But contentment and fulfillment both have a connection to just being "in the now," and that's what awareness is about, I think.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10680
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: On Following One's Bliss   On Following One's Bliss EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 pm

I think you're right Ann. Being aware of being in the now. Just wish I could be aware of that. scratch
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: On Following One's Bliss   On Following One's Bliss EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm

That's the hard part, Abe. Very Happy

Ann
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On Following One's Bliss   On Following One's Bliss Empty

Back to top Go down

On Following One's Bliss
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Writers' Cafe-