Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Writing about highly controversial subjects

Go down 
AuthorMessage
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2010-10-14

Writing about highly controversial subjects Empty
PostSubject: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 8:16 am

Following is my experience

There is a definite down side to writing about controversial subjects (or better, many down sides, too many in fact). Firstly, there is no precedent in contemporary literature - so you’re on your own.

The reviews will be negative; and if your material is well researched, and accurate, it takes away from those who would write of it in a speculative manner. Thus leaving them no avenue, and unhappy.

Those following conventional thought won’t read it - or if they do and find merit - there are ways of laying out a very rocky path. In short - your attentive audience is very small.

Still there is the up-side and it starts, in my case, with personal satisfaction. And there is the very slight possibility that somewhere, someone will build on the ideas and change the world!

James
/
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12610
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 8:55 am

Hi James,

I thought controvercy sells. Everyone here has an opinion, and we seldom agree about anything. Very Happy

Writing about highly controversial subjects 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:53 am

I think it depends on how controversial the subject is Shelagh

Take Barry Fell’s America BC, or Robert Temple’s The Sirius Mystery, for instance - both authors are ignored. But both are very close to the truth.

I like The Sirius Mystery for the story of the Dogon; and Barry Fell’s for the history of pre-Columbian discovery in America.

James
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:28 am

Isn't that because of lack of publicity and not because of the controvercy?

Writing about highly controversial subjects 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ Writing about highly controversial subjects 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Actually not! Barry Fell was a professor at Harvard when he wrote his books and he was shunned by his peers.

Robert Temple wrote of the Dogon who maintained a tradition of having come from the star Sirius.

You can imagine what conventional thought - thought of that! Subsequently I found an ancient (pre-pyramid age) Icon that reflected the Dogon tradition. But I keep that to myself least I find myself in the same boat with the Dogon.

I’ve always found there to be agenda (an order of business) behind the scenes of true controversy.

The Dogon, being native N. Africans, aren’t supposed to be able to see into the Sirius Star system. No European is supposed to have discovered America before Columbus. Crop Circles (there never actually having been a faked one) are all fake because conventional thought says so, etc.

James
/

/
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:54 pm

If people wanted to read about whacky, uncoventional, controversial issues, they would pay to do so and publishers would be keen to publish anything that sells. The book market is demand driven. Where there is a demand, a publisher will meet that demand. The reading public seem to have an insatiable desire for scandal, fame and infamy. They are not too concerned about truth.

Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm

I should add that to my list of down-sides!

James
/
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10705
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Shelagh's responses are on target.
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 7:39 am

Market driven for sure - but the realities exist too, and there’ll be authors who on discovery will wish to publish (not wacky, not alien) but just plain ole fashion (well researched) controversial subjects.

There are pitfalls - of which Einstein said opposition won’t relent until a new generation dominates the scene

Still, for those authors wanting to broaden the view, there must be a means (one that I am not familiar)

I don’t wish to champion any particular topic - but examples have to be made to illustrate the point! Crop Circles being a classic one. There never was, and never will be a fake one. The differences between man made and natural is so great as to be immediately distinguishable.

So how does one go about cracking the media - the conventional thought - driven shells?

James
/
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 8:09 am

What if - in the interests of excellence in education, that material presented in (K1 - K12) text books be verified within the text itself. In the absence of verification the text would carry a label on the cover, or side binder, "Unverified!"

Let me give an example of material that would come such under scrutiny

The Indian sub-continent is said to be moving northward and under the Himalaya causing them to rise. But within that statement, friction is ignored, forces are not identified, the physical principles of wedges (sacrificing distance for force multiplication) is ignored, while shear (which must exist at adjacent boundaries to allow the sub-content to move independently), is nowhere mentioned.

Statements like the "Indian sub-continent," that go unverified sends the wrong signal to students - suggesting to them, thereby, that "say-so" is sufficient

But say-so" is not sufficient.

By example of verification that should be in the text book - it would include actual verifiable data replacing all the indicated unknowns in the following illustration (the blue wedge represents India).

P = verifiable forces causing motion; W = the weight of the mountain; N = the forces acting along interfaces; F = friction.

The point being that in text books - "say-so" is not sufficient

Writing about highly controversial subjects Tectibet

Writing about highly controversial subjects IMG00002

Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 am

What if, in the interests of quality education, a more conscious public, and easier research opportunities for authors, that all publically financed research (now restricted from public view in the archives of the journals) was available (free) to libraries.

As it stands subscription fees are far too high for public libraries.

Since it is public financed - it should be made available
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 am

Last edited by LC on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 am

Hello LC, No I was unaware of it. If there is an active movement I'd like to see how they are handling it.

Something needs to be done about peer review and scientific method as well. Currently they are being used to exclude valid research by authors not associated with university

James
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 11:39 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing about highly controversial subjects   Writing about highly controversial subjects Empty

Back to top Go down

Writing about highly controversial subjects
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: