Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smcseng

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-10-13

I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  Empty
PostSubject: I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!    I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello my name is Steven and like all of you I am an aspiring writer.

After finally putting my money where my mouth is I set about writing a young adult novel called The Moon Finale which is about a group a young girl named Lizzie Thompson and her adventure into a magical world where she makes friends and a fair few enemies.

My question is this , who do I write to and how?

I have written to agents, but from what I understand it is slim pickings.

should i write to publishers and editors as well? Is this an established route to becoming a published author? Or can you only go through literary agents.

I have no qualms with persevering and am willing to write to any and everyone to make my dreams a reality. If only I knew where to start!!

I've already had 2 rejections letters, but I understand that people get loads of them, so I'm not disheatened yet.

thanks in advance! I'm currently at medical school surrounded by doctors, but i want to drop out. I can't do that till I can prove that writing can lead me to a prosperous life! ( at least to my mum!)
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!    I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Steven, you're in med school? I think your chances of making money with that are better than they are with writing. Smile

There are many books on the subjects of writing, getting published and finding an agent. Search Amazon for a few. When you've got a great query letter (which you use to pitch your project to an agent or publisher), visit www.agentquery.com for some names.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!    I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 am

Hi Steven,

Doctors tend to be multi-talented. Sugeons are often artists and many sell their work (the fine skills and steady hand make them skilled draftsmen). Medics also make great story-tellers (they learn a great deal about life!) and some become published authors.

This article gives 5 reasons why doctors become authors:

http://www.ghostwriterfordoctors.com/featured-posts/the-top-5-reasons-doctors-become-authors
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
smcseng

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!    I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:03 am

Hi thanks for the advice, I went to the library and got out the childrens writers yearbook which is really great, I'm going to blitz through and read the whole thing I reckon.

lol being a doctor is undoubtedly very good money. I've always wanted to be a writer, but my parents told me I would never make any money doing it, so being young I listened to them and applied for med school.

But in my heart of hearts writing is my only true passion and love. I don't write because I want to, I write because I have to, because something greater than me drives me to do it. You can't fight something like that.

but does anyone know what the difference between writing to an agent vs writing to a publisher is ? like pros and cons? would be massively helpful!!
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!    I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 8:19 am

I don't have an agent and never queried one. I do have book contracts with three different publishers (two large NY houses, one small press). I queried the publishers directly. I write nonfiction and textbooks, though, which are easier to get published directly. That said, I doubt there is any significant difference in the query itself; you are trying to get someone -an agent or a publisher- to buy your product.

Many large, popular houses will not look at unsolicited submissions directly from the author, so if you want to sell to them, you have to have an agent. Other houses accept direct submissions from the author.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!    I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 1:24 pm

The "sticky" thread at the top of this board is full of useful advice:

http://www.publishedauthors.org/agents-f4/how-to-find-an-agent-t1740.htm
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!    I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!  Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm so confused with the whole process, please help!
Page 1 of 1