Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Have you ever been pirated?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DavidC

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Have you ever been pirated? Empty
PostSubject: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 6:47 pm

Have you ever worked for months or years on that new book, just to have it stolen and given away? Well I did time and again, until I seized the day and took the bull by the horns. Now I am an author by day and pirate destroyer by night.

Have you ever been pirated, or even better, have you ever fired back at them?

--Pirate Destroyer
Back to top Go down
http://security.profit-smart.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 6:54 pm

I think in this technological morass, piracy is inevitable. The trick is to copyright everything and formally publish with a trusted publisher. Even then, ebooks can be found for free because this is an international enterprise, here, the Internet. Other countries have been publishing music, movies and videos for years; I rented movies that were recorded from satellites when I lived on a sailboat in the Caribbean - the ones I rented were not purchased...now the same applies to written intellectual property. So long as people seek the least expensive (and that is the nature of things) - something "found" on the Internet does not feel the same as picking up a book and walking out of a store without paying. No bells go off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:27 pm

DavidC wrote:
Now I am an author by day and pirate destroyer by night.

How do you do this?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:15 pm

8/17/2010

You do the " ZUMBA ! "

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
DavidC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 pm

dkchristi wrote:
I think in this technological morass, piracy is inevitable. The trick is to copyright everything and formally publish with a trusted publisher. Even then, ebooks can be found for free because this is an international enterprise, here, the Internet.

I agree with every point you made D.K.. Piracy is inevitable in this technological age, especially if you’re works are worth buying/selling. After a quick search, I see that you definitely fall into that category.

dkchristi wrote:

So long as people seek the least expensive (and that is the nature of things) - something "found" on the Internet does not feel the same as picking up a book and walking out of a store without paying. No bells go off.

Sad but so true.
Back to top Go down
DavidC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:15 pm

joefrank wrote:
8/17/2010

You do the " ZUMBA ! "

lol. I suppose I do.
Back to top Go down
DavidC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 pm

LC wrote:
DavidC wrote:
Now I am an author by day and pirate destroyer by night.

How do you do this?

I destroy pirates with a cannon built by the law. To be more precise, the dmca act of 1998. As I stated in my original post after seeing my works pirated time and again, (and being a struggling author/self publisher), I finally took action. I studied the law, and found there was a process I could follow to have my material removed, pronto. Next, also being a programmer/developer, I developed a set of tools specifically designed to find pirated material and have it removed. It works 99% of the time. *As a side note, I have started offering these services through a company I co-founded with my son last year.

For customers, I have a specialized team who find and remove pirated material, but I still remove the illegal posting of my books/software, myself.

I can not explain the satisfaction I get by seeing their pirate ships sink under the weight of the law.

--Pirate Destroyer
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Well, glad to hear it's working for you. If you have luck removing things from overseas servers, I'm sure the large publishers would like to hear from you. They aren't really good at it themselves.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Quote :
Have you ever been pirated

"...well yes, admittedly piracy is a problem in the book world..." replied the goblin, continuing "...but on forumland, which is where an ever growing number of readers are to be found now, one is ones own book so to speak, so the problem doesn't arise because the reader latches onto the persona here where the persona is hard to duplicate...", in fact the goblin felt that the real battle for readership was on the internet at this point, since books were offering diminishing returns that is, and where blogs were just some eternal waiting game, no, the goblin was out to conquer forumland, saying "...everyone knows bansky save that nobody actually knows who he is, simply his trick was not to copyright stuff..."

Have you ever been pirated? Chief_engineer_chimp

Last edited by fleamailman on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12610
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:15 pm

...but the posts here are copied and pasted onto blogs without permission. Is that not piracy?

Have you ever been pirated? 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ Have you ever been pirated? 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ Have you ever been pirated? 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ Have you ever been pirated? 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ Have you ever been pirated? 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ Have you ever been pirated? 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Quote :
...but the posts here are copied and pasted onto blogs without permission. Is that not piracy?

"...ah yes terribly untrustworthy place forumland is isn't it, all my own posts that I freely share across forums now, besides if I remember rightly one never quite knows when they might just get deleted again, edited again, or get one banned even, mind you the forum might fold too, so it's always best to repost ones stuff everywhere under an air/edit/backup context..." replied the goblin who didn't link links nor name names, adding "...two way street I suppose, from here and to here too, where only forumland itself remains constant, for somehow didn't everyone and everything within it just remain mercurial and transient then, where if so, then what choice had one but to hedge ones bets here by being across it and not just on it somewhere..."

Have you ever been pirated? 2010_06_11_15_57_www_yapfiles_ru_files_100814_dlya_shizo

Last edited by fleamailman on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Copy all postings immediately to an ebook, copyright it in volumes and publish through smashwords. Then, if anyone copies your words subsequent to the ebook's publication/copyright date, sue them. Just a thought...
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 6:04 pm

We need volunteer attoryney/litigators. The cost of fighting copyright infringement is too high for most.
Back to top Go down
DavidC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:46 am

While it is true that fighting copyright infringement in
court can be an expensive undertaking. Having your works removed from
infringing websites usually never goes that far (unless you are seeking damages).
Though my company does not offer assistance for recovering legal damages, on
average we can have your works removed from infringing sites within 48 hours of
locating them.

After our first month of offering this service, we can boast
a 99% success rate for our customers.

The best part for self/small publishers is the crazy price.

$100 per month for three titles! Over the month we will provide a live report of sites we find infringing on your rights, and have the material removed.

Curious if your books are being pirated. Just make a post
here with your book title, and for this community of authors/publishers, I will
give you a free quote on the number of sites found posting your books for free
download.
--Pirate Destroyer
Back to top Go down
DavidC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:03 am

For those who are interested in learning more about copyright
protection, here is an interesting read that does not get into too much legalese,
but is factually based. Check it out! I am sure most will be surprised at what
falls under protection of the copyright laws. For example, did you know in most
countries to be considered a copyrighted work, your material does not need to be
formally registered.

*Note* I have no affiliation with templetons.com, or its
owner. http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Another interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works
--Your Friendly Pirate Destroyer
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:31 am

That's true here in the US, too. A work is considered copyrighted as soon as it is written. The registration just makes it easier to prove. I am working, right now, on a writing program for middle and high school, based on some processes I developed while I was still teaching. The other night, my son-in-law suggested that, as soon as it is finished, I send a copy to my daughter using registered mail. Doing that provides the proof in case it is copied. Teachers can be good at that.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:22 am

DavidC wrote:
on average we can have your works removed from infringing sites within 48 hours of
locating them.

After our first month of offering this service, we can boast
a 99% success rate for our customers.

The best part for self/small publishers is the crazy price.

Why aren't you offering your services to large publishers? They're the ones that need it. Small and self publishers don't. Few people pirate their stuff, and it's not like most of them make any money, anyhow.
Back to top Go down
DavidC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:24 am

LC wrote:

Why aren't you offering your services to large publishers? They're the ones that need it. Small and self publishers don't. Few people pirate their stuff, and it's not like most of them make any money, anyhow.

That is our long term goal. However, we thought it best to start small, test our systems, and build our data, so as to be taken seriously.

Anyone can talk the talk in business, but until you have the data to back up your claims, you are nothing more than a talking head. As I stated before we have only been providing this service to customers for a month now, so to approach a large publisher at this point, I believe, would be a bit premature.

As for your statement about the large publishers being the ones we can really help. While this may be true, I have been surprised at the prevalence of piracy on small publishers. For example, one of our customers has only written two books (self published), is only 20 years old, and we have already removed his material from over 50 infringing sites in the past 14 days. Secondly, I ask this question. Who is most likely to go out of business because of piracy, a small publisher with a limited inventory and revenue stream, or the large publisher with deep pockets, and a legal team?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10705
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:31 am

Some years ago I was associated with a patent attorney. It was interesting to learn how easy it is to rip off patents. At that time, there was an organization in the Far East that looked for new inventions. If the invention had potential, they would make clever alterations to the original patent and then go into production. While the inventor was trying to make a legal case of fraud, the rip off company was making money.

The best advice given was to get your product on the market as quickly as possible and make a name for yourself. It will be evident that those who follow are rip offs.

I’m not sure if the same logic applies to copyright, but I do think that too much time is wasted on trying to protect something that hasn’t proven it’s value. As Ann pointed out, when you write something and publish it, it is yours. If it is stolen, and there is a considerable value to the loss, you can still prove ownership and litigate.

On copyright, it was suggested to print a copy and mail it to myself and let it remain unopened. The postmark date provides proof.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:03 am

Quote :
That is our long term goal. However, we thought it best to start small, test our systems, and build our data, so as to be taken seriously.

Small fry care about their money as much as big fry. I don't know why a small/self pubbed person would buy what you are now describing as an untested product. I also find it hard to believe that 50 sites would lift the material of an unknown, self-published author. Why don't you post some of these sites, with before shots of material on them, and after with the material removed?

I already know about the sites that go after widely-distributed works. They're mostly in Romania, Russia and China. Pirate Bay in the Netherlands was huge, but shut down last year.

Quote :
On copyright, it was suggested to print a copy and mail it to myself and let it remain unopened. The postmark date provides proof.

Abe -this so-called "poor man's copyright" is useless. Won't stand up in a court of law. You could mail an unsealed envelope to yourself to get the postmark, and stuff anything you want in it later.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:14 am

Can you cite a case where it was tried and didn't work?
Proof is the main criteria. The safest method is copyright or patent. That doesn't mean they are the only methods of proof. If there is substantial financial loss, then it is worthwhile. Suing to satisfy ones ego is a waste of time.

This link provides copyright info:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Can you cite a case where it was tried and didn't work?

Can you cite one where it did?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 am

You made the statement that it wouldn't stand up in court. That I presume is an assumption.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:57 am

You made the original statement that it was a valid protection. This is from the government's own website on copyrights. From this, yes, I assume it wouldn't hold up in court.

Quote :
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 am

Yes, I read that. The copyright law makes no provision for it and it is not a substitute, but it does not say it is not proof. As I stated, the safe way is to copyright.

Read the entire article. It states:"Copyright exists from the moment the work is created." Further, it can be registered within 5 years of publication. Five years is certainly enough time to determine if it is worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? Empty

Back to top Go down

Have you ever been pirated?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: