Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How long will the recession last?

Go down 
+7
Abe F. March
Domenic Pappalardo
dkchristi
lin
LC
joefrank
builder
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

How long will the recession last? Empty
PostSubject: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:08 am

The recession will not get better any time soon, it is actually going to get worse. This is the worst recession since the great depression. How long did the great depression last? When do you think the west, Asia or the world will get out of this depression?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 am

6/22/2010

The depression lasted 10 years, with the
leftist administration we have now we'll
be lucky if ours doesn't last 15 years with
15 million people out of work, illegals
running across the boarder, now from what
I read late yesterday the Obama Admin. has
a new plan if they can't get 60 votes for a
new immigration bill then he'll do it by executive
order , I can't see how you can give clemency
to more than 10 million illegals, matter of fact
I think it's illegal to even try it..It's called
treason ! Now the drug cartel has taken over
a national park in Arizona and their's not enough
border guards to stop them, I say send out the
Army and Green Berets, they know how to deal
with this problem for once and all...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:52 am

builder wrote:
The recession will not get better any time soon, it is actually going to get worse.

What recession? Depends who you are and what you're doing. Crisis in one area creates opportunities in others.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:04 pm

6/22/2010

LC

Evidently your living in La La Land..
This country is in a severe depression !
Wake up and smell the folgers....

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:21 pm

I prefer Starbucks. Smile Some people are in a recession, some are the same as they've always been, and some are doing well.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:42 pm

You seem to be very concerned about the illegals in the U.S, Joe. I don't think this recession will last ten years. But the U.S will not ever be able to pay their debts. But somehow, the U.S will come out of this. But it won't be soon. You are right LC, the recession does not affect everybody. But it affects a large majority. Less demand for services means there is less jobs and will increase unemployment. Less construction jobs and building of housing affects lots of people in that sector. Organisations are cutting back leaving many with no job to go to. In England, they are already cutting jobs in the public sector to save costs and are going to raise taxes.

Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 pm

What's coming is not recession but a killer inflation because of all the money they're printing and throwing away.

Which actually COULD affect smug nitwits on public sector sinecures.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 pm

I absolutely agree that inflation is down the road. And? During the Carter admin, interest rates were at 21+ % due to inflation. The country survived. Those with CDs were happy. Those who wanted mortgage loans weren't.

People who can see it coming prepare for it. They might research what investments do well in times of high inflation and build positions in them. Others (and this is probably more than the first group) will just wail about it.

If that sounds smug, oh well.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Inflation will be out of control, it will be worse. There will be stagflation. The money printing by the U.S is devaluing money, making it buy less, while inflation hits us. The U.S is heading down. They are still dominant in the way when something goes wrong in the U.S economy, it has an affect on the world. So what are you investing in LC? Gold?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:47 pm

During the height of the foreclosure problem a couple years ago, newspapers were always running stories and photos of all these "poor people caught up in the mess." All I saw were people who made poor choices, some of them again and again and again. One grim-faced elderly couple was profiled in the local paper, angry because they were "tricked" into getting an ARM and "didn't know that the interest rate could go up." Hey dumbasses, that's why it's called ADJUSTABLE rate. They were adults during the Carter admin, did they sleep through it? Newspapers always paint these people as victims. I'm tired of it.

The 90's was a time of unparalleled wealth-building opportunities with all those crazy dot-coms. You could figuratively hold a hat out and money would fall in it from the newly-minted Amazon, AOL, Dell, Yahoo, Microsoft, and much more. Of course, you had to take the initiative to open a brokerage account, learn a bit about it, save some money and take some risk.

Oh dear, I'm sounding smug again...
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Gold? Not really. My dad invests in that. He did very well in the 70's with it, but it has been garbage ever since.

I mostly just try to anticipate what stocks and mutual funds will benefit from high inflation, and I don't keep a lot in savings to get inflated away.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Stocks and mutual funds? I invested in TIAA CREF - the guardian of teachers and public workers. I lost half due to its investment in World Com and Enron. I have nothing to invest anymore. I am dependent on 51 years contributing to the Social Security System and 15 years contributing to the state pension system - and my income is just enough to pay the mortgage, a mortgage geared to a career that has ended. Fortunately, I'm on a diet and receive an occasional royalty check.

As for illegals - they came because we invited them with major advertising campaigns financed by the corporations who couldn't get anyone to do their crummy jobs cheap enough for them to reap enormous profits. They should suffer the consequences of their greed, not the families who were starving and heard the call of plenty.

As for drug cartels in Mexico - the direct result of drug use in the United States. If we didn't use the drugs, the cartels wouldn't be fighting over the riches. People are dying at the borders and elsewhere because U.S. citizens use illegal drugs and the profits are beyond comprehension or morality. The profits are so high that airplanes used to ditch in the Gulf by the Everglades as high speed boats collected the drugs. The planes were a drop in the bucket compared to the riches from the drugs.

I was born a democrat, converted to a republican and discovered in my wisest years that it is I, not a political party, that is responsible for this mess. I as a citizen let someone else speak for me - and they lie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 pm

dkchristi wrote:
Stocks and mutual funds? I invested in TIAA CREF - the guardian of teachers and public workers. I lost half due to its investment in World Com and Enron.

Not sure what you mean. I'm not aware of any TIAA/CREF product that invested mostly in Worldcom and Enron. I've been contributing to TIAA/CREF for 20 years, spread out through three or four different funds. There are many options, some have done better than others. My account took a big hit when the whole market collapsed, but it has been recovering nicely.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Whatever I was invested in was heavily invested in World Com and Enron. It did not recover. I was not alone. You are correct, there were many choices. The choices in which my investments were made included those companies that went belly up. World Com and Enron were considered conservative investments by fund managers.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 4:04 pm

6/23/2010

Evidently LC is in dream land or has the
attitude she doesn't care...This country
is in big trouble, we now owe almost 13 trillion
dollars in debt ! Washington doesn't give a dam
about the American public, they don't do the
will of the people, they do what they want, it's
time for a change...There are more than 15 million
people out of work through no fault of their own
and all washington can do is print and spend !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Picked up on smug, but not sinecure. No, recession doesn't affect teachers much. Whether they know anything or not.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:12 pm

lin wrote:
Picked up on smug, but not sinecure.

It didn't apply to me.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah, whatever you say, sweetie.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Most people are in for a wake-up call.

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Traditionally, the democrats supported the worker and the republications the employer. Whoever was in power, the opposition blamed them for all the woes. The party in power appeared to go to an extreme and that was their undoing. The opposition that came into power went to the other extreme, and that was their undoing. It somehow provided a balance in our two-party system. Ups and downs in the market have always been with us. The good times are forgotten when the bad times appear. The bad times have provided opportunities for many that made them rich in the good times. The good times were squandered by many who thought it would last forever and they became poor in the bad times.

Now we’re into finger pointing again. The world is coming to an end. The party in power is responsible for all the woes we suffer. Crap!
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:44 am

Yeah, the U.S government and also governments in Europe are not solving the recession. But some say that if they did not provide stimulus packages, then we would fall into another great depression that would be like the one in the 1930s or even worse. I don't know really. But so far what governments have done, will not work. Somehow, I think the U.S will come out of this. The U.S economy and the Euro zone (the west) is an important part of the global economy, so I do not think this recession will last forever. But it is going to take time for it to sort itself out. The world needs the Euro zone and it needs the U.S. These are big markets. Even China that is growing fast and also Asia, needs these countries for trade. We also have to remember, that there has always been recessions. But of course, this one is bad, but we always come out of them. We hope, this time too.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:41 am

I know many people for whom life is the same. Nothing has touched them. They believe it is because they made the right choices in life.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 am

I wish I was one of those people, to not be affected or touched by the recession.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:33 am

dkchristi wrote:
I know many people for whom life is the same. Nothing has touched them. They believe it is because they made the right choices in life.

When the real reason is that they were just incredibly lucky?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 am

builder wrote:
I wish I was one of those people, to not be affected or touched by the recession.

Lots of people are affected by it. Resourceful and resilient people work around it. Some get lucky, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long will the recession last?   How long will the recession last? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long will the recession last?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next