Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Stephen Hawking on aliens

Go down 
+9
Shelagh
Domenic Pappalardo
alj
Liam
Abe F. March
LC
dkchristi
lin
builder
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Stephen Hawking on aliens Empty
PostSubject: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:00 am

Stephen hawkings believes that aliens are likely to be out there and that they are dangerous. He believes that aliens will want our natural resources and may want to take over the planet. I think aliens are already here and have always visited the earth. But then, all aliens are not the same, so he could be right. Aliens that have not yet found us, may have a different plan for earth. What do people here think of this?
http://www.helium.com/items/1814826-stephen-hawking-warns-about-aliens
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3340426/Stephen-Hawking-Aliens-probably-exist.html
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:25 am

I read that one. I always thought that announcing outselves to people with inter-system transportation before we have it ourselves was a bad bet.

But I'm really amused by Hawkings' "scientific" attitude here. There are "almost certainly" aliens. (Based on a sample of ZERO to date). And then going into great depth in what the motivations of these hypothetical aliens are and how they live.
"Nomads with no planets", etc. He basically spins out a bunch of science fiction that would have been dated in the mid fifties and people take it as a scientific pronouncement.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:36 am

You have a point lin. I guess because Stephen hawking is so famous, that people will just listen to him. The universe being as big as it is, just tells us, that there is likely to be alien life out there. Space crafts or ufos have been seen by pilots and even astronauts. I still believe aliens have always visited us. I don't know why they have not made contact, but I guess earth would be an interesting new world to them. But yes, Stephen hawking saying that aliens are a threat and their intentions is based on very little. If there are aliens that are advanced enough to reach a distant planet, they would have probably found ways to renew their resources and preserve life.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:52 am

Carl Sagan was the really weird one with this stuff. I saw this thing he did once where he computed the likelihood of there being extraterrestial intelligence.

How many suns, how many would have planets, how many of those would have atmospheres, how many of those could support doughnut shops, whatever. Came up with this "worst case" figure of --you guessed it--billions and billions.

Trouble is, at that time NO other star had been observed to have a planetary system. He was extrapolating from ZERO data. And getting sloppier as he moved out into the characteristics of these planets that there was ZERO proof even existed, much less in number, much less from a finite, counted number of stars.

It's like a guy walking on a white sand beach and noticing a red grain of sand. Then trying to calculate how many more red grains there are. You can't extrapolate from a single point or datum.

But these guys do. Which is great. But a big mistake to call it science.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 am

I recently saw an old twilight zone where two couples and one child were attempting to board a new ship for a new world because theirs was on a path to self-destruction. They were as ordinary as us. At the end, the ship they were hijacking was shaped like a flying saucer and their destination about which they had no knowledge but hope, was Earth.

It is normal to project our own psyche onto some outside life form; we treat each other on this earth with wars and greed over natural resources and borders; why would we expect better from some other life form coming to our earth?

I believe the earth itself as a planet and the many life forms that inhabit this planet are all evolving toward some unknown future. That's as far as my intellect will take me. It is conceivable that the future may, indeed, include travel to other systems with or without different lifeforms.

If there is a master Creator that started the big bang that brought us into this experience, that same Creator may have done the same in other places with different results. My belief in a spiritual aspect to my life and my hope for a soul may just be manifestations of my existence; just as other religions consider non-believers as without value; the same could hold true of other life forms traveling in the universe. We could matter as little as the mistreated cattle we slaughter and the chickens we smash to feed our gluttony cheaply.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:19 am

Well, if aliens have been visiting us. Then they will probably be able to destroy us. I think they are much more advanced than a search and destroy mentality. Were all guessing here of course. Maybe there aren't any.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:23 am

dkchristi wrote:
We could matter as little as the mistreated cattle we slaughter and the chickens we smash to feed our gluttony cheaply.

Great point. Maybe we'd just be spare parts.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 am

There are some interesting theories on aliens. We all could be just an alien experiment. If there are aliens, then why have they not made contact. I believe, there could be no reason to. If they are here, they would be far more advanced in everything. Also, they don't know how us humans will react to them. It may also stop them from doing what they do here, the earth could also be like a tourist destination for them.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:18 am

Quote :
If there are aliens, then why have they not made contact.

They have been monitoring us and don't want to have anything to DO with us.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah. Well they sure are not showing people they are here. Has the government been keeping the facts closed to the public. Area 51?
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Area 51 is a decoy. A government plot to divert attention away from the REAL cover-up in Area 53
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Does being alienated count?
Shocked
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 pm

COUNT? It's an uninalienable right
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:39 pm

lin wrote:
Area 51 is a decoy. A government plot to divert attention away from the REAL cover-up in Area 53

I have always thought area 51 was a fake or a decoy.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 5:10 am

I just watched the movie Avatar. A story about us humans that are running out of natural resources need to invade another planet. So to them we are the aliens. Interesting story. Not much about the topic we are talking about, but the movie was so bad. Very bad movie.
Back to top Go down
Liam
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Liam

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 am

Builder, Avatar is a groundbreaking movie and is the best of the decade without a doubt.

I know that Hawking doesn't have scientific evidence, I think his logic makes sense and I do think that he knows what he is talking about.

Any good alien books around by the way?
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 5:34 am

Well, no actually he DOESN'T "know" what he's talking about. It's complete conjecture.
Back to top Go down
Liam
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Liam

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 5:38 am

I mean that he knows what he is talking about because he has a better understanding of the universe and how big it is than anybody else really.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:34 am

Really?
Many scientists of equal standing would say that it's essentially infinite. I have one of his books right here where he talks about black holes and dark matter fluctuations which pretty much mean that NOBODY can really have any idea of the size of the universe.

Not that that would have any bearing whatsoever on how many live in it or what their intentions are.

One of the problems with "Scientism" is that we tend to accept scientists' views on things they don't really have any way of knowing about. Kind of like priests.
Back to top Go down
Liam
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Liam

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:42 am

If nobody knows how big it is, how do you or your anonymous scientists know that it is infinite?

And of course the size of it makes it more probable that there are more living things. The bigger it is, the more chance that there are lots more planets that can support life. Therefore the bigger chance of aliens.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 am

Nobody knows if it's infinite. Obviously.
These are theories. Anything Hawking has to say is a theory.

The size doesn't necessarily make it more likely that there is life anywhere. The whole thing could be an illusion projected by the only life form in existence. It could be a backdrop for God's production numbers. There are a LOT of thoughts on this subject, and I read a lot of them.

Nobody has any idea at all what the probability of life is. And certainly not what attitude it has.

I happen to agree with him, however that advertising ourselves to the universe prior to having any real purchase on space ourselves is probably imprudent.

Although I would say, the possibility of life forms with interstellar travel is REALLY, REALLY low. Almost neglible. The only solutions to the staggering problems in that come from science fiction. There is NO real-life technology for warp drives or anything.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 am

Liam wrote:
Builder, Avatar is a groundbreaking movie and is the best of the decade without a doubt.

I know that Hawking doesn't have scientific evidence, I think his logic makes sense and I do think that he knows what he is talking about.

Any good alien books around by the way?

There are people that like avatar. But the film was so predictable. It did not flow right. A lot of the effects, we have seen before apart from blue cartoon beings on film. There was nothing new. (apart from the avatar people). Many parts of the film felt like animation, maybe because it was animation. The story is interesting. I like the story of us humans running out of natural resources and then plan to invade another planet that live strange beings. But the direction was so bad, that it was weak from the very start. But if you like it, you like it. This is soo not a James cameron movie. I love his older films, Aliens, True lies and Terminator films.

As with Stephen Hawking and his theory of alien intentions, maybe some aliens may not be friendly. It is very difficult to imagine they do not exist. So I guess, pilots and even people that have gone into space made it all up that they they saw a ufo. A lot of this world including the universe cannot be easily explained. Are we the only life in the universe? I doubt it. But the governments are hiding something on aliens. Didn't a ufo crash in mexico one time? do you believe that? Well I am unsure. There have been many sightings and witnesses but not much evidence to back it up.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:56 pm

I am a science fiction fanatic. I subscribe to DISH just so I can have the science fiction channel.

I thought Avatar was beautiful, like a ballet or an opera, but short on story line. It seemed to borrow from Dances With Wolves which is okay; but for all that techno stuff it seems an original plot would have been better.

I did appreciate the life force that pulsed through every living, thing. That ties in very favorably with my vegan friends and some of the American Indian spiritualism where they apologize to their food for having taken the life force to feed their own.

As someone reknowned said of my own novel, Ghost Orchid, Avatar was somewhat disjointed but a worthwhile cinematic experience.

When I close my eyes, I see the run up the tree trunk with such grace and beauty. I also enjoyed the creativity that brought together many elements from other creative movies. It reminded me of a cartoon feature where everything floated in space, again, with ballet grace and beauty. Then a man appeared and upset the entire balance.

I thought the war scenes were unnecessary and contrived, pandering to those who need war in a movie so the men will attend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Yeah, the consensus is pretty much "beautiful but third-rate story".

What really pissed me off was the pilot, the Rebel One chicana chick who risked her life, DIED for the guy. I knew she was a goner immediately and it made me mad.

She dug the guy when he was in a WHEELCHAIR, not 12 feet tall bounding around the trees. The was the real thing, not a fake psincess like the blue chick. I could have written a better, more beleivable, more satisfying, even more realistic ending hooking those two up than the STUPID "come back from the dead as a blue critter" ending they put on it.

Too bad, really. Cameran really has lost all story sense.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but have been told by my children that it was just a western set in space.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stephen Hawking on aliens   Stephen Hawking on aliens Empty

Back to top Go down

Stephen Hawking on aliens
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next