Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Freakin Woodpeckers

Go down 
+2
Shelagh
LC
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Freakin Woodpeckers Empty
PostSubject: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:11 pm

When inventorying all the wood rot that needs to be fixed, I saw this! I remember hearing that woodpecker this past winter. Had I known what damage was being done, I would have shot it, and not with a camera.

Freakin Woodpeckers Woodpecker
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Colour me stupid, but where's the damage?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

All the holes on the left side, and in the upper LH corner of the window.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 4:39 pm

3/26/2010

LC...

Maybe if you give Woody Woodpecker
some food, he'll be happy and leave your house
alone...

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Repaired and painted! Is that your house?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Well, you did a fabulous job! Do you still own it?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm not sure how we segued from woodpeckers to the blogger to publish america, but whatever. Smile
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 6:44 am

3/27/2010

Shelagh..

You have a beautiful home. What
kind of gardens do you have ? ( Plants ?)

Cheers.. Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
helma

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:23 pm

It's the trees, I'm sure of it. I'm
starting to think my dh is right about trees being not so great... and
we're just a couple of houses away from significant greenbelt and
untouched land. The bonus is the deer still come through the
neighborhood... to eat all the flowers lol.

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 6:03 am

My sister-in-law had a beautiful garden surrounded by a decorative little white fence and an arbor to enter. She grew flowers and vegetables.

Until the day she was confronted by a buck that appeared ready to attack. His family members were dining away in the garden.

That year, she gave up the garden to the local deer who now come on a regular basis, bringing their friends and relatives, to dine on the volunteers that continue to grow.

She's decided that she has a deer preserve instead of a garden; it's much more entertaining and a whole lot less work.

In the winter, she's added a feeding station. The deer are practically within touching distance from her kitchen door and go about their business oblivious to how close she is.

My mother's battle is with the rabbits. She encloses all her tender shrubs in metal nets until they are strong enough to survive the onslaught to the tender shoots at rabbit height. Her shrubs are all naked for about a foot before they spread out in safety.

I miss all those wonderful animals. The woods behind my house was converted to a gated community around a hole they call a lake with a fountain spewing out of it. When the destruction first began, dazed ghopher turtles and lost snakes were wandering our street. I used to love the lonely night whooo of the owls who are long gone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:19 am

Our cabin is surrounded by wildlife. Wildflowers do quite well, but forget tulips and daffodils. We have pileated woodpeckers who put deep holes in old trees until they are hollow and fall to the ground. The chipmunks are fun to watch and the deer come and watch us. Squirrels are abundant.

I love these creatures.

In my tiny backyard of our new condo there are a group of birds, black with white stomachs. They are there all day long and I love to watch them. The squirrels climb along the fence that separates us from the yard in back of us. This is an old part of town and in front is a gorgeous old oak tree, thus the name of the development being Risley Oaks. In back there is an equally gorgeous old oak tree.

All these creatures and wildlife keep me sane. I love them all.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:42 am

Back to the woodpeckers. I used to visit my mother in Michigan every spring. Promptly at 7:30 a.m. a woodpecker who must have been confused would begin his ritual pecking on her rooftop television antenna. By the end of summer, the bird was gone and the ritual ended. Strange as can be, this was repeated yearly until one year, our friend no longer came to wake us up in the morning. Mother and I were actually sad.

I have a woodpecker who is pecking on my roof - I haven't dared look.....
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:46 am

Well, when the rain comes through the roof hole, you'll know the bird did its job. They do amazing damage. We had to replace two exterior wall panels and some brick molding just for that one bird.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Yikes! The only wood on my house is under the tar roof; the walls are cinder block (CBS construction for hurricane strength) with stucco. The eves are metal. The roof is 1987 - so, there may surely be a bug or two up there for the woodpeckers to go after.

My brother just shot six chipmunks (out of dozens that are attacking the soil under his house and porch, causing the porch to sink so far). I was furious. He said it was more humane to shoot them than to poison them. Since he's not a gun person, that may be true; but I hate to harm any living thing. He built his house on five acres of woods; the chipmunks are probably looking for their burried nuts under his house ....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freakin Woodpeckers   Freakin Woodpeckers Empty

Back to top Go down

Freakin Woodpeckers
Page 1 of 1