Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A Frustrating process

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

A Frustrating process - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 11:12 am

Thank you Brenda! Once I got started at University is was hard to stop.
Eleven year olds can be tough on energy stores if they are busy. How kind of you to look after him though so that your son and new daughter in law could get away; what a kind gift. Hopefully as he gets more used to the idea of you being there he'll start doing some of the things he normally does. Is he at school during the day?
I keep thinking of my friends who had their children much later than I did and wonder at their energy levels now. I do not think I could be chasing around youngsters, and I really cherish the discussions and fun with my grown up girls.
Will send you some relaxation vibes Brenda! A Frustrating process - Page 2 260738
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 am

Tough? Did you say tough? How about debilitating. Not only his energy, but they have ten-thousand steps in their new house. Okay, maybe not ten-thousand, but it seems that way.

My new grandson never sits still. He was on spring break last week and I thought I was gonna die, but this week he's back in school. At least this old lady can nap during the day.

My prayer:

Oh, help me get through the next couple of days, then, when I get home, I'm gonna collapse on my sofa and stay there for an entire day. I promise to never again complain about it being out of style.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Brian L Porter
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Brian L Porter

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm one of those authors who's been lucky enough to find an agent, the redoubtable Aidana WillowRaven who has posted earlier in this thread. However, along the way, I began by writing poetry, won awards for that, moved on to short stories, first published in non-paying and then paying markets, and finally moved onto writing novels. I had a couple of novels e-published by a reputable publishing house, plus a couple of collections of shorts, then found publsihers for two of my later novels all by myself, through dogged persristence and (I hope), a modicum, of talent. Then one of my e-novels and one of my short collections both finished in the top ten in the annual Preditors & Editors Readers Awards in seperate categories and suddenly doors began to open. I now have an agent, a paperback just published, another one due out in April and three more due later in the year, the last three thanks to Aidana's efforts on my behalf. so, though she may be unconventional, she delivers, and that after all, is what an agent is hired to achieve for his/her clients. You can do it alone, I think I've proved that, but it's so much bettter to have an agent on board to do the spadework of finding the publisher and negotiating the contract. I suppose I've been lucky in that I've never had to pay a penny to have any of my work published, and never had to go down the self-publishing or vanity roads. Not every writer is as fortunate and I feel grateful that I've met with a small amount of success, and just wish that everyone of my fellow authors could do the same, no matter what their chosen path to publication.

Brian A Frustrating process - Page 2 545232

Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/brianlp
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12599
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 2:18 pm

Brian, It's always good to hear that hard work pays off! Well done and I wish you continued success!

~Shelagh A Frustrating process - Page 2 545232

A Frustrating process - Page 2 41ZdcL0lV7L._SL125_ A Frustrating process - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SL125_ A Frustrating process - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SL125_ A Frustrating process - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SL125_ A Frustrating process - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SL125_ A Frustrating process - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SL125_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Thanks for that Brian - you are inspiring! It's not just good fortune but also perseverance and talent that are taking you where you want to go!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Brian, you are one of those inspiring stories, and Pam is totally spot on!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Brian L Porter
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Brian L Porter

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 11:51 pm

Shelagh, Pam and Zada,

Thanks for all those nice things you've said. I only responded to the post because I know how important an agent can be to some authors, but that it's also possible to make an impression without one, at least to begin with.

The point is, I have a rejection file of massive proportions, and at first I used to take each one as a personal insult. Then , I realised that each editor, agent or publisher was looking a the submisssions purely subjectively, and that if I played the numbers game, eventually I'd find one who actually took the time to read, understand, and perhaps actually like what I'd written.

Then, when I actually had three publishers all wanting 'A Study in Red' at virtually the same time, I realised that maybe I might have something after all. Soon afterwards. Rain Publishing made me an offer for 'Glastonbury' and that's when I realised that the hard work was starting to pay off. I still have a long way to go to get where I want to be with my writing, but with the other paperbacks coming later this year, another still under consideration by Rain, and two more novels in progress, I might just be a little ways along the road in another year or two.

So, my only advice, if as you say my story is a little bit of inspiration, is simply not to give up, keep knocking on doors, make a nuisance of yourself, and believe in what you do. If your work is of the quality that publishers require, one of them, somewhere, sometime, will recognise the value of your work. I truly believe that too many people give up too soon in trying to find a traditional publisher and end up paying unnecessary sums of money to see their work in print. Patience is one of the greatest skills an author must learn. also, it's worth remebering that few self-published or vanity press books sell in large quantities, except to the author's family and friends, and receive little or no marketing of sales promotion from the publisher.

I am not knocking anyone who uses those methods as they are the chosen means of publication for many good authors who maybe don't require or seek a massive target audience or who perhaps don't need to make a full-time living from their books.

A good publisher will produce, put on sale and promote their author's work in an attempt to recoup their own investment in the book. that's the only way they will actually make any money from the author after all.

Hope this is of help to some of the very good authors in this group who may be wavering in their self-belief.

Please remember that your biggest selling point as an author is YOU!

Regards to everyone, and keep sending the subs.

Brian A Frustrating process - Page 2 545232
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/brianlp
chadwick

PostSubject: Agents   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 11:04 am

I too received many rejections from agents before going POD. I decided that I would rather have a few read my hard work than no one at all. What is very frustrating is that agents reply that they can't sell my plots when a short time later some bestselling writer will release a very similar novel, so obviously agents don't know it all.

You must wait around for weeks or months to receive a form letter from agents and publishers and both expect you to only send your manuscript to them. Kind of like a doctor's office where their time is infinitely more important than yours. I waited a year and a half for DAW publishers to accept or reject my book and never heard anything.

They say to establish a client base or prove that people have interest in your subject or book. I have done that, but just because 150,000 people visit a web site doesn't mean they will pay for your book. Many want the information free.

You must have an agent to submit to "traditional" publishers and agents want a proven sales record to take you as a client. If I had a proven sales record I would not want or need the agent.

Just because your POD book doesn't have high sales does not mean it isn't good. What it means is that you don't have thousands of dollars for publicity and many book stores won't stock POD books.

D.A. Chadwick
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 12:48 pm

D. A. Chadwick,

A Frustrating process - Page 2 950944
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Frustrating process   A Frustrating process - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Frustrating process
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Agents-