Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Message Framing and Misunderstanding

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Message Framing and Misunderstanding Empty
PostSubject: Message Framing and Misunderstanding   Message Framing and Misunderstanding EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Here we go again. Interpersonal communications is a difficult thing to pull of with any amount of grace without offending people. I see it has hit this board again. It is much the same when you are trying to get the point of a book across to others. I did a posting on my book Obama Guilty of Being President While Black and it started an online fight that went on for three days. I became an onlooker and chimed in when someone went totally off course on the intent of the book, but personal insults were flying all around. A couple of days ago I made a video about the book almost on a whim and people loved it. I thought about the difference in reaction and it came down to the ability for others to say that the book was not about them, but about others doing things that they would never engage in. The power of allowing a message to reach the audience while giving them room to avoid feeling attacked is huge and sometimes it is just a few words removed from one that they feel boxes them into a corner. Maybe that is what happened here. People felt cornered on both sides and struck back.

Obama, Race and Palin Prompters

Something to think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKLUjzPYgI
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Message Framing and Misunderstanding   Message Framing and Misunderstanding EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi DT,

Nothing really happened here. It was all a bit of a damp squib. Domenic did his usual "ciao" and Alice said "I'm gone" and that was about it.

Which just goes to show that the words don't really matter. After all, you don't need to read the words in front of you. If you are looking for a fight on the 'net, you don't need to look far.

Good to see you here!

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Message Framing and Misunderstanding   Message Framing and Misunderstanding EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Dt,
"Interpersonal communications" as you mention, is hard to pull off. I think the problem is that people are NOT communicating. The writer's intent is often misconstrued by the reader. Is it the writer or the reader's fault?
There are occasions when it is the intent of the writer to create havoc. We've seen that on this board, however most often it is unintentional.

As for book promotion, controversy sells.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Message Framing and Misunderstanding   Message Framing and Misunderstanding EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 am

And sometimes communication seems directed at one person and others don't see what the problem is, or someone is having a bad day, or we haven't quite figured out how to positively critique someone's WIP.

I don't want to see Betty discouraged in her writing. It is going to be quite a story, one that could make a difference perhaps to some child or grown-up.

And sometimes a person is writing in a style that is quite different than another person would write in, but that is the author's story.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Message Framing and Misunderstanding   Message Framing and Misunderstanding EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 5:26 am

I did not bother following what went on here but regarding communication in general you are spot on when you write:

“The power of allowing a message to reach the audience while giving them room to avoid feeling attacked is huge and sometimes it is just a few words removed from one that they feel boxes them into a corner.”

Regards

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Message Framing and Misunderstanding   Message Framing and Misunderstanding Empty

Back to top Go down

Message Framing and Misunderstanding
Page 1 of 1