Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Professional Edit

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

The Professional Edit Empty
PostSubject: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:47 pm

So I bit the bullet several weeks back and sent my manuscript to a bonafide editor (not unlike I did with my first novel). And so I had to set that edited 'script aside a few days to digest it and to come to terms with how tough it was to accept what the editor had to say. For me, this adventure was very personal as I let someone in to see my "stuff". The thing being that what I received from the editor, now that I've read it again, is a gift to me. Comprehensive, brilliant, like re-taking that creative writing course, it makes sense in a gazillion ways, and is going to make this book absolutely stunning. Expensive, yes, but stunning...which should pay for itself eventually I trust.
And so, forum friends, I thought my experience begged the question; how many of us take the manuscript through a formal, paid edit befoe we start searching for a publisher or decide to self/vanity publish, and what was your experience with it?
The Professional Edit 634186
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Pam,
from what I've read and seen, I think having a professional edit (assuming that they are professionals) can be a relevation and a life-saver concerning the reception and longevity of the book. You have just confirmed that.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:51 pm

Pam, I was so worried about my sequel to Keechie, (Granny Boo ~ the Legacy of the Puma Man), that I sent it to an editor - after reading and editing it myself many times - VERY many times. She is sending me a few chapters at a time with her comments and suggested changes.

At first, I have to admit that I was kinda offended by some of the changes, but after reading it over (again), I saw what she meant, and was pleased with the results. What did I expect - praise and atta boys?

There were no "voice" changes - only things that needed touching up as to grammar and unnecessary narrative.

I am going to have a polished product when finished! Now the question is... who am I going to get to publish it? I knew until the Amazon thing exploded ... dang it!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Jenny
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Jenny

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 3:56 am

Pam,

I did it with my last manuscript and found the experience well worth while. I would recommend anyone serious about writing to at least have their manuscript appraised by a professional, if not editted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:32 am

I had Lawless Justice appraised before submitting it to literary agents.
Yes, it hurt. But after a few reads I understood what the editor was saying. I think you need a hard shell before asking for a proffesional critque, editing.

It cost a lot of money, money I didn't have, but I wanted my manuscitpt to have the best possible chance in this competative field.
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 5:21 am

Phil,
I think you're doing a smart thing. Having our work viewed through the eyes of someone else can show us things that we fail to see, or don't want to see. In any event, once it goes into print it is very difficult and costly to correct the mistakes. The cost may even apply to one's image/reputation.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 5:26 am

I have to acknowledge the writer in us experiencing pain with this part of the process--it's challenging to know what to do, and given that people like Anne Rice and JK Rowling think they no longer need editing, it's a challenge to be sure. Invest the money or not? Publish on the B and C list, or not? I think in the quest for agents an publishers, the quality of the manuscript is going to be the kicker. And, I think that does have a lot to do with editing no matter how well we write, because we get so immersed in our stories.
I was in a local bookstore the other day, an independent, and they are promoting a lot of small print/small publisher books. The sad part was that of 15 that I picked up, 13 of them could have been improved drastically by a proofreader, let alone a good solid editing. They came through presses similar to PA and of the pay to selfpublish variety.
I know what you mean about the cost Karina - editing has cost me more than a single submission to iUniverse...and yet, if we did get things edited properly rather than paying to self publish, I would think we'd stand a stronger chance at finding a publisher. I just cannot stand the thought of my book ending up in the 99 cent bin somewhere, I think that's a big part of it (oh dear, back to that ego thing again) Shocked .
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Professional Edit   The Professional Edit Empty

Back to top Go down

The Professional Edit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Authors-
Jump to: