Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious

Go down 
+5
zadaconnaway
Pam
william
P. Gordon Kennedy
rowena cherry
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rowena cherry
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious Empty
PostSubject: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 am

Copyright is being infringed every day, and there is not a lot we (midlist and lower) authors can do about it.

As fast as we discover another site where our books have been illegally scanned, turned into e-books, and are being "shared", then spent half a day writing to the site's moderators, and perhaps getting the links removed... the thieves go elsewhere.

I saw a journalist blog the other day that because J K Rowling won't miss the royalties, it is acceptable for readers to steal from every other author, too.
It's not OK. Not all copies that are read illegally would have been paperbacks sold, but some will, and for some authors, those lost sales will make the difference between whether or not they are ever offered another contract.

When I see that JK Rowling's books are also on the pirate site, I'm glad, because I know that eventually, that site will be shut down, because she is good at defending herself, and the big guns sink pirates faster than lots of little pop guns can.

Today I'm cheering, because I keep the rights to my characters. Don't you? I don't know how someone can publish an Encyclopaedia of Harry Potter without mentioning any of the characters!

I hope the New York judge sides with Ms Rowling!

Anyway....If you think it is only fair that the government defends the book industry's copyrights with the same vigor that they protect the music and movie industries, please consider signing this petition.

Or, pass on the url. Let's make a stir!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ebooksandpirates/
Back to top Go down
http://www.rowenacherry.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:55 am

I Agree, there is way too much plagerism and copyright infringment on the internet these days. Evil or Very Mad If Rowling wins, it will be a victory for authors everywhere. People who pirate books should be prosecuted just as vigerously as those who pirate music and movies, because by pirating books, they are sealing authors' livelihoods.
Back to top Go down
rowena cherry
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:02 am

Thank you, P. Gordon. I hope you sign the petition, and maybe post it wherever you feel you can.

Brenna Lyons, outgoing President of the EPIC organization (mostly for E published) started this petition, not I.

I can't figure out why Congress cares about some artists' copyrights more than others!

Rowena
Back to top Go down
http://www.rowenacherry.com
william

william

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 2:51 pm

rowena cherry wrote:
I can't figure out why Congress cares about some artists' copyrights more than others!
Rowena
Actually, that's a rather easy question to answer. The book industry simply doesn't have as many legislators in their pockets as does the film and music industry. In the end, it's never about right or wrong. Instead, it's always about money--which buys clout.

Be well,
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I think that you are right William; books do not matter to legislators, in the same way that musicians have had to fight about music royalties, we're having to fight on our battles for things that are already illegal. Makes me nuts!
I have signed the petition to -- because with what royalties pay compared to a mortgage I need to make sure the only free books circulating are the ones I sent to a library and to my mom!
Keep up the good fight folks! Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious Camouflage
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 am

Amen!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 8:05 am

When Warner Bros and J. K. Rowling say that the Harry Potter Lexicon represents material copied out of her books without permission, I'm inclined to believe this.

Some authors and reviewers are suggesting the case is not clear cut, saying that many authors write concordances, study guides, and criticism without being sued. True enough. This case may come down to just how far the Lexicon strays outside the accepted parameters of fair use. Even the judge seemed to see a grey area here, but without looking at the MS of the Lexicon, it's really hard to say from the outside looking in whether it's a copy job with or without elements of fan fiction in it or not.

Unfortunately, the Internet has created a monster here, that being that copying and pasting is just fine because--as folks say--"who does it hurt anyway?" People of this mindset are going to claim that with all Rowling's money, she won't notice a few stolen copies or even a Lexicon with plagiarized material. This viewpoint really angers me. I see it as theft that is not made legitimate by the purported size or impact of it. Then, too, when it's sanctioned by the courts or by wink-and-not enforcement, it opens up those of us without Rowling's money to financial losses that do matter.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 am

If the Lexicon does indeed have material copied directly from her books without crediting her as the author, then it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

If, however, someone has simply written a book that seeks to chronicle all of the Harry Potter books, complete with guides to issues and happenings, spells and such as that, and if proper credit is given to Ms. Rowling, then I see no harm, no foul, and no copyright infringement.

I've seen many books that list all of an authors works, or all of a particular series, which are helpful and gives the reader a better insight into those books. There are books that list, for instance, the Tarzan books and movies, the X-Men, the writings of Shakespeare, etc, and which have been sold for years with no lawsuit being brought against anyone.

If the Lexicon seeks to use Ms. Rowling's own words, or if it is comprised of copy and paste, I can see the harm. If not, if it is just an encyclopedia of the works with some quotes, then she should just gracefully bow out before it begins to look as if this is another case of a rich and famous person not wanting anyone else to profit from anything. I don't think the guy who put this together should profit from copying her works, but if his book is an original work that does nothing more than give the readers a great guide to her books, then she should not only drop the lawsuit, she should send the guy a nice thank you note.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
ibookdb
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ibookdb

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 10:49 am

william wrote:
rowena cherry wrote:
Rowena
Actually, that's a rather easy question to answer. The book industry simply doesn't have as many legislators in their pockets as does the film and music industry. In the end, it's never about right or wrong. Instead, it's always about money--which buys clout.

Be well,

But the music industry is doing it all wrong and antagonizing it's own customers. They are doing everything in their power to kill their business. First suing customers with insufficient evidence, using questionable practices and extorting universities, nearly killing net radio, making CDs that are not playable on computers etc. Unlike paper books which will probably never go out of style, CDs are going the way of the dodo. The music industry gives you 1 good song on a CD for $10, nobody wants the rest of the filler material so people are forced to download. When there are viable legal options (take itunes and see how successful it is) people use them.

I agree with Don here that if it is an encyclopaedia like derivative work, JK Rowling should have no problem with it. Suing is like antagonizing your own readers by depriving them of something that they want.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 am

I wish someone would sue me over The Power of Persuasion. Plagiarism, misinformation, stolen idea, copyright infringement ... anything! Bring on the lawsuits; I need the publicity.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 12:09 pm

I think it is going to be a fine line. Probably would have saved themselves piles of trouble if they had actually asked JK if she minded...seeing as how she is done the series it could have been on her to do list..and at least they would have had a feel for how she would respond to the thing.

With the CDs I think if they only cost $10 I might not mind listening to the filler music and deciding whether I like it or not, but for $20 they can keep it. I much prefer the 99 cent price that iTunes charges...plus my kids are now buying me iTunes gift cards, so like I did when they were a little younger, they now do for me so that I don't get stuck in a rut just listening to my "old fart music" as they sweetly call it.
Back to top Go down
ibookdb
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ibookdb

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Pam wrote:
I think it is going to be a fine line. Probably would have saved themselves piles of trouble if they had actually asked JK if she minded...seeing as how she is done the series it could have been on her to do list..and at least they would have had a feel for how she would respond to the thing.

With the CDs I think if they only cost $10 I might not mind listening to the filler music and deciding whether I like it or not, but for $20 they can keep it. I much prefer the 99 cent price that iTunes charges...plus my kids are now buying me iTunes gift cards, so like I did when they were a little younger, they now do for me so that I don't get stuck in a rut just listening to my "old fart music" as they sweetly call it.

I don't think they should need to ask if it just informative and does not copy large amounts of text verbatim. Maybe JK should sue contributors to wikipedia too next.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:52 pm

I wouldn't put it past her, now she's got all that free time on her hands... Smile
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 1:10 am

Not having the books at hand, I don't know if it was simple cut and paste or not. Difficult to make a judgement without evidence. But the publicity angle is certainly a good one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious   Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious Empty

Back to top Go down

Good for J K Rowling! I'm absolutely serious
Page 1 of 1