Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Too many categories

Go down 
+6
vampireheartauthor
alj
Malcolm
Shelagh
Carol Troestler
LC
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Too many categories - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm

I don't view, or comment on all the sections...nor do many side-track from the one's I use.

Al asked if anyone wanted to discuss slang, jargon, and cliches in dialogue. I like dialogue, but, when two writers zero in on a subject...their styles are different, and it could turn into a pissing contest.

I think the best place to talk about writing, is the section...Work in Progress.

Post some of your work Al, I'll discuss slang, jargon, and cliches in dialogue...but, only if you have thick skin. On the other hand, if you're here to teach, I'll be glad to post work...are you a good writer? I would like to read some of your work...after all, this is a writers forum.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:19 pm

That sounds like a scrap in the making. Not interested. Chips belong on fish, not shoulders.

I've been a professional published writer for about 25 years. Made my living at it. I'll let others decide for themselves how well I do it.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:30 pm

What if you started your own post on what you want to talk about specifically? Just a suggestion. Too many categories - Page 2 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
That sounds like a scrap in the making. Not interested. Chips belong on fish, not shoulders.

I've been a professional published writer for about 25 years. Made my living at it. I'll let others decide for themselves how well I do it.

I'm not very smart, so please...tell me...how we can decide for ourselves how well you do if you don't post anything? I don't know about chips, but something smells like fish.

I don't know who you are, or that you can write. Yeah, I have a chip on those who come on writers forums and want to be the all knowing teacher...show me something you have done...you know the old saying; "Show, don't tell."
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:15 am

View Posts Since Last Visit. That's what I do. The number of categories doesn't matter to me. Once in a while I go looking as I have something that better fits another category. I didn't know that a list meant someone needed to post to all; I have been to many forums with only one or two posts per category with the bulk of the posts in a general area. I think it's great that people take the time and interest to manage a forum at all. Since there are so many different people in this world with many different ways of thinking and expressiing themselves, some positive and some positively aggravating and dissonant, keeping a forum in play is an accomplishment. Subjects change here; some reappear; some become quite interesting. Generally there are one or two people with a common interest in a topic. People come and go. I think it's great that we have input at all regarding the forum design. Personally, a writers' forum is a place to write. Writing anything is practice with words and thoughts, even if there was only one category.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 6:03 am

DK,
you have stated my feelings.
As for the many categories, some become historic and are good reference. As for discussions about writing, people respond to specific questions or statements. Sharing ideas that work stimulate good discussions.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 am

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Yeah, I have a chip on those who come on writers forums and want to be the all knowing teacher...
Please refer to this thread.
http://www.publishedauthors.org/articles-f19/period-piece-slang-jargon-cliches-etc-t5300.htm
I'm asking, not telling.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 6:50 pm

I was on a writers forum where a person using the aka Wolf...became the forum teacher. After a year he took up my challenge, and posted two pages of his work. His English, and Grammar were good. He was not a good fiction writer. You seem like a nice guy. Did I read that you have never written fiction?

(This is not a challenge.)
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Did I read that you have never written fiction?
I published a collection of short stories a while back and have published short stories in a few magazines. I consider it more relevant when establishing credentials to discuss what we have published rather than what we have written.

I don't respond to challenges. I much prefer collaboration and cooperation to competition.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:53 am

Hey, I just noticed that almost this whole forum is private now. I didn't mean for the whole forum to go private, I just asked about the photos section. lol.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:43 pm

I got fed up of sharing with unfriendly visitors.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too many categories   Too many categories - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Too many categories
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2