Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?

Go down 
+4
alice
Abe F. March
dkchristi
dtpollard
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? Empty
PostSubject: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:04 am

Alice started a thread about how many books are published each year and the numbers are mind numbing. The question is how do you break through with such a storm of new releases taking attention from what came out last week our even the last hour.

I look at it this way. My first book was published in April 2006, about 3.5 years ago. Now I have 5 books out, 3 fiction and 2 nonfiction. My focus now is to build some kind of brand recognition for my name as an author and my publishing company. How does an author stand out in the face of a blizzard of books coming out hourly?

My thoughts are to take risks, be unique, gather credentials and promote what you have.

- Take risks - write about something less broad to stand out
- tackle a risky topic that others shy away from
- try to write outside of your comfor zone

- Be Unique - Research and select unique titles, cover art etc.

- Gather credentials - local contests, local newspaper rankings, national contests, local or national guilds, etc.

- Promote - Find low or no-cost promotions - forums, book signings with stores that have a book blast list, book clubs attached to radio stations, free press releases.

Many of the thousands of books produced are almost invisible with no push after publication because that is all human energy driven. Being persistant in a shrinking market and economic downturn may pay great dividends.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:27 am

I have followed your career since PA and admire the progress you have made. Thanks for always sharing your insights.

I saw another book with a similar title to yours regarding President Obama; unfortunately, the author's posting was so full of errors that I was distracted from deciding whether I liked the sound of his book.

You are a consummate professional, and I'd like to add that to the list of ways to move forward in promotion.

Last edited by dkchristi on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 11:20 am

Insightful post Dt.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:49 pm

You will make it, DT,

Your ideas are sound, your writing very good.

You have a plan.

I applaud you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 11:52 pm

When I read Dt's posts, it reminds me of the quote from Star Trek "to go where no man has gone before."
Dt tries new things - doesn't follow the pack.
Many function like processionary caterpillars, one following the other in a mindless chain. If something works for one, the tendency is to think it will work for everyone. It is easy to forget that our personality plays a role in what will work as well as the audience targeted.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 2:20 am

You made some very good points, DT. Members of writers' forums have a tendency to lump all writers together. It is far easier to become a published author as a non-fiction writer than a fiction writer. Within fiction writing, some genre are more difficult to break into than others.

When the Harry Potter books started to take off, many established writers with dwindling readerships adopted a pseudonym and started writing children's novels. This resulted in an avalanche of submissions to agents and publishers. New writers ended up at the bottom of a slush pile the size of a mountain.

I think I should follow your advice and choose a different genre!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 am

Shelagh wrote:
You made some very good points, DT. Members of writers' forums have a tendency to lump all writers together. It is far easier to become a published author as a non-fiction writer than a fiction writer. Within fiction writing, some genre are more difficult to break into than others.

When the Harry Potter books started to take off, many established writers with dwindling readerships adopted a pseudonym and started writing children's novels. This resulted in an avalanche of submissions to agents and publishers. New writers ended up at the bottom of a slush pile the size of a mountain.

I think I should follow your advice and choose a different genre!

You know Shelagh, I don't know if it requires changing genres, but when I wrote Rooftop Diva and Fools' Heaven I tried to tie them to events and unique interests that coud possibly have a group interest appeal. Hurricane Katrina as a backdrop had an appeal to a large group of people that were touched by that event, plus it resurfaces on everyone's mind whenever the annisversary of the storm comes around. The backdrop of Katrina really added so many plot and subplot options that the book could have gone in almost any direction, but it still was solidly in the general fiction area. It was my choice to make the main character a heroine or villian. Fools' Heaven and Rooftop Diva have interracial relationships as a component. Fools' Heaven has religion as a backdrop, more as a belief and vocation than spiritual pursuit and appeals to people with a church/megachurch interest.

I did nonfiction with Tarp Town U S A because of the economic crash and Obama Guilty of Being President While Black because of historic current events. The other reason for nonfiction is the "I only read nofiction" replies that I would get at events and that should close that off. My next move is epic poetry and I have dabbled in poetry with short ebook efforts on amazon and other ebook sites.

I don't know if changing genres is required by anyone, but maybe a unique way to package and present what you have. I am by no means a blockbuster success but I spend a lot of time thing about how I can be unique with my title, character and subject matter whether it is fiction or nonfiction.

If children's fiction is what an author likes maybe make the character someone that overcomes an issue like dyslexia or attention deficit disorder. This is just throwing stuff against the wall, but I think it gives the author meat to chew on when presenting the book to readers when your character has to overcome some "foe" to do whatever else you have planned for them in your story. These are just ideas.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:37 am

It seems that the Information Age is upon us, and we are inundated everywhere with news, how-tos, and books of every sort and subject. Some, like D.T.'s are of high quality, some, less so. One thing is sure, this new age allows us to get the word out like we never have before, and it is up to us to make the best of the changing times.

The six points that D. T. made in his OP are as good a summation as I've seen on how to go about it.

D. T., they sound like the basis for another book.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:45 am

There are writers who just write what others dictate the market is supposed to be demanding.
The demands of the market are not created by the consumer but by advertising gurus who know how to manipulate people.
We can only buy what the shops have for sale.
The books people buy are only from a selection chosen not by the consumer but by others who tell us what to buy.
I am not a write to order writer I am just a story teller I can't help telling stories. If my kids ask me for a story on a particular subject I can oblige them. I would do it because I know that is what they genuinely want.

I think a writer should be able to make their own market.
That is what I like about you DT you know how to make your own market.
Good advice as always from you thanks. Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:50 am

11/7/2009

Hi.. Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? 925501

I agree there are so many books, thousands
get published every year. I for one would be
happy to know that if someone read my books
and they got a message out of it.

1st Book: " Is Your Father Black ?"

2nd Book: " Dusty " Children's STory

3rd Book: " Visions Of Freedom "
One man's vision to be free from
Castro's rein of terror & tyranny.
Published Nov. 2009

4th Book: " Clara Layten - The Chelsea Murders"
To be published Dec., 2009

I'm now working on a new murder mystery for
2010 based on my character Clara Layten. Then
I have sequel to Dusty. One has to keep writing
and maybe one day lightning will strike....

Cheers.......Joe.... Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?   Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can You Cut Through The Book Clutter?
Page 1 of 1