Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A Question About Authors Den

Go down 
+4
Abe F. March
Carol Troestler
Shelagh
dmondeo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

A Question About Authors Den Empty
PostSubject: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 2:51 am

I have a free Authors Den account, does anyone here have a paid for account and is it worth it?
I ask this only because I was pondering over upgrading. A Question About Authors Den Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 4:56 am

I have a free account and it is useless. Some of the authors here have paid accounts and run free websites. That seems to be a good combination.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 6:23 am

I have a paid account and like it. It is my website. It has connected me with other authors. I have many stories on it and have had what I feel are a fair amount of comments. It has connected me with other people, even for my Cuba project. I have also sold autographed books through the site and they have taken in money for them and used this to pay for the site automatically. I have also gotten messages from people regarding writing.

What has been most useful are the stats and comments. These have shown me which of my writing could be marketable. My Red Convertible Story, Cooking Poem, and Vote for Women in 1913, have gotten the most views, not what I would expect, especially the cooking poem as I don't write poetry.

Recently a man was looking for my husband, found me instead and went to my site on authorsden, started a site for himself, wrote 75 stories, put them on the site, and has given me some suggestions and connections for my book and will help with marketing when it is published.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 7:57 am

Carol,
that's quite an endorsement for Authors Den. I'm also a member but haven't utilized it. Now you've given me an incentive.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 8:04 am

Thank You all! mmmmmmm still pondering me thinks. A Question About Authors Den Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 9:29 am

I use the free services and attempt to update them just for the additional exposure. I have no idea whether I have gained from that exposure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:45 am

Websites, in general are a joke. At least mine are--They haven't done much for me.

What would help me is to have a lower book price and some exposure via CNN, MSNBC etc.,

I will dream on and on and on...

Last edited by Alice on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:47 am

That's been my position from the first day Arirang: The Bamboo Connection was published in 2006.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:55 am

DK,

So was my book. I received the Author of the Week Award , but with no publicity or price break, who would care?

The only one who cared was Pier because she didn't have it!

She had already told me no one would care to read my
book.

Funny she is still on the board-- I am banned. I am the lucky one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 1:30 pm

I have a paid account and don't think it's helped me much. My rationale is that most of the people on author's den are writers all trying to sell their books. As writers, we may be somewhat more interested in books written by new authors, but we're still going to buy the bulk of our reading from mainstream authors we know about from Pay Conroy to Nora Roberts to Dan Brown. Time is precious, and I found that I got less return for my invested time on author's den that on Facebook, MySpace and my blogs. My two cents.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 1:41 pm

I'd love to be as popular as Conroy or some of the others. But I'm not, and for me authorsden works because I have a lot of stories and essays and it is a good place for them. Malcolm, I like your information and have read much of what has been posted.

I've been hanging out at galleries and today a train show. There are always writers at these events. Today it was a man who had a friend with a collection of black and white photos of steam trains. He organized the photos, researched them and put them into five books. He had a big poster, a calendar, the whole works. He told me, "What a life. I research photos of steam trains, put them in books, and come and talk to people at train shows. I'm happy."

Websites are websites, visible information on people, and places. They are informative and I love them, but I seldom purchase anything from them.

I wish we could discover THE place where our books will sell. Perhaps even an organized list of places, but then all our books are different, and information for one will not work for another.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Thank you again For the insight everyone.
It seems to me as I sort of expected, that the only real difference between a free and paid for account is the money I would have to pay out on a regular basis.
I have a website so I don't need another and the target market for my book is not amongst authors.
The extra bits that a paid account offers over the free account isn't really worth it in my case.
But I'm still open to some serious convincing. A Question About Authors Den Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 4:24 pm

My advice would be to sign up for anything that is free. If you google "Mr. Planemaker" in quotes, you will pull up a host of free sites. If you sign up, you will not increase book sales but you will start to build a platform for future books (otherwise you will remain an "unknown" author).
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:32 pm

I have a free authorsden account www.authorsden.com/pgordonkennedy but they only give you 14 pages to post things, which isn't much. I also have a booksie account (also free) www.booksie.com/pgordon they let you post as much stuff as you want. That's where I have most of my poetry posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Authors Den   A Question About Authors Den Empty

Back to top Go down

A Question About Authors Den
Page 1 of 1