Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Strange Nature of Americans

Go down 
+4
Carol Troestler
alice
alj
Dick Stodghill
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

The Strange Nature of Americans Empty
PostSubject: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 10:37 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
Being the easy-going, even-tempered guy that I am I took it like a man and didn't swear much at all after being struck down by a virus. That changed completely when my computer was struck down by a virus. I can live with being sick but turn into an angry bear when my computer has to go the shop. Like that simpering wimp on TV commercials says, "It's your lifeline." The computer is my lifeline. Without it I can't write scintillating short stories or wisdom-filled blogs.
It turned out I didn't have a virus, just my semi-annual kidney infection that returns on schedule as precisely as the buzzards return to Hinckley the first day of every April. The computer, however, had not only a virus but 234 things that needed fixing. So it's fixed, and I'm $109 poorer than I was at this time yesterday.
Being computerless for a few days gave me time to ponder the strange nature of Americans. They want everything and they want it now. They want every pothole in town fixed up and they want super highways when they travel. If they go by plane they want skilled air-traffic controllers guiding them safely through the sky. They want the FDA to keep their food supply in perfect shape and the EMS to rush to their aid if they get sick or hurt. They want firefighters standing by if they set their house afire and cops to charge after the bad guys who rob them. They want schools that are at least on par with those in Zimbabwe and a military force to fight multiple wars in countries no one can find on a map. All that is just the tip of the iceberg of their many wants.
But there is one thing they do not want. They don't want to pay for any of this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 10:51 am

Another blog that is right on, Dick.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Dick,

When you are right, you are so right!lol!

Ann,

That goes for you too.flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:56 pm

I am getting tired of Americans!
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 9:21 pm

You are right Dick. And when do they say "thank you" or "well done."

We have a lot to be grateful for, and always want more.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 1:43 am

It's good to be British. The Strange Nature of Americans 770134
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 2:08 am

Shelagh,
there are times when some Americans would like to return the country to the British, however I'm of the opinion that the Brits would say, "No Thanks.
We are what we are no matter where we live.
Perhaps someone will start a thread that will elicit responses on "What's good about America" and "What's bad about America." Does the good outweigh the bad?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 5:54 am

Abe, a few months ago, I would have said we had turned a corner, and that the good was gaining strength. Lately, though, I'm not so sure.

Lots of varmints coming out of the woodwork.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:09 am

I think America is a good place. This is a beautiful country with varied landscapes and cultures. Each state is unique. We are blessed with freedoms others can't even dream of having in their lifetimes. Most here have the means to shelter, food, and health care. We have an illustrious heritage.

But where these varmints are coming from is what worries me. Fear is rampant.

A friend visiting from Chicago said there were more violent deaths in that city last month than in Bagdad.

Expectations were that there could be immediate change. What were those people thinking of? Nothing that is worth anything is immediate. Change takes time. We have the opportunity to make this a better country and I think we are "blowing" it. We can make quick changes and return the country to credit card economy, the rich getting richer and the poor poorer, or we can slowly change it to a more responsible place.

Carol
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:58 am

Carol, as you were posting this message, a little earlier this morning, I was writing in my journal, and my thoughts were on the creating of a sustainable universe, perhaps in part because of having read this thread this morning, and I found myself writing that is was important that we trust the process, that the process of change has begun and will continue, and that the little blips along the way are just that. We are part of a major shift in the way the world works, and each of us plays a necessary part. I remember writing on the PAMB once that every tiny cog in a machine plays a vital role. That image came back to me as I wrote this morning:

"So, perhaps god is a clockmaker after all, but even a clock needs a Power Source, and when things break down - get stuck out of place, that Universal Intelligence will take care of the situation in It's own way. The process has begun. We must trust it to work through in it's own time."

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:23 am

Shelagh wrote:
It's good to be British. The Strange Nature of Americans 770134

My grandsons are dual citizens. The Strange Nature of Americans 770134 The Strange Nature of Americans 748523
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 am

Good morning. I'm preparing for a road trip, laundering, listening to my pixilated DTV Sunday morning press shows.

Change is a gradual process. I once gave presentations on "embracing change" for organizational upheavals. The first thing I did was have everyone in the room change to a seat next to someone they did not know.

Some people moved immediately. Some only moved when they saw others were doing it. Some refused to move at all. Some made unpleasant comments about the presenter.....After the chaos, I began the presentation.

My first recommendation for learning to be in tune with changes was to start personally. Park in a new parking space; eat lunch with different people; pick a new route to and from work; get up out of the other side of the bed; change the typical breakfast menu; change to a new after work activity. Prepare a path in the brain that learns to adjust to more and more little changes that leads to the acceptance of big changes.

Even heinous experiences that become customary are more acceptable to many people than change that leads to the unknown. Some people need a step by step process for adapting. Throw a frog into a boiling pot of oil and it will jump out immediately; put it in a temperate pot of oil and gradually turn up the heat and you'll have a boiled frog. This metaphor applies to both negative and positive conditioning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:05 am

America is changing all right. The good guys are dying and not being replaced.

This nation was not built by rats and will not be sustained by rats. Too many bg fat rats.

I don't know what to do.
Back to top Go down
Phil
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 am

I love America. I'm pessimistic about a lot of things but never about America.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:56 am

And I think this is where we come in as authors. Those who are shouting are the ones that concern me. We need to listen. We need to write. We need to have confidence that our written words could quietly make a difference.

I was speaking with a woman this morning from my daughter's motorcycle group that stayed here. She works for a company that provides chemotherapy to people who then administer it in their homes. What a great idea. They put packets together, teach people how to do it, support them. This not only keeps costs down, but also people can go home, not to the hospital.

We can be creative. And through the years I've found there can be pockets of change occurring. When I first worked in the field of alcohol and other drug abuse, a woman had recently written a book about children of alcoholics, and then many others began to acknowledge this problem and help children and adults and more books were written and programs established.

When my friend and I wrote the life-threatening illness group program, "alternative" medicine was becoming popular. But we said, "no, this is in addition to medical care, not instead of." Then hospitals began to have "complimentary" medicine programs to help people with quality of life in the face of illness as we were doing, not eliminating the medical care but enhancing it. We were part of something bigger that was exciting to see occurring. Books were written, support groups were put in place. Now they can be found on the internet.

Carol
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:01 am

You are absolutely right Carol; and for those writers who wonder about their small sales or whether it is worth the effort; it takes the eyes of the "right" person to respond and make a major, positive difference.

Writers have the courage to put their words out for public challenge and scruitiny; they make a difference, every word.
Thanks for making that point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Nature of Americans   The Strange Nature of Americans Empty

Back to top Go down

The Strange Nature of Americans
Page 1 of 1