Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Why Some People Don't Read

Go down 
+3
LC
Betty Fasig
Dick Stodghill
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Why Some People Don't Read Empty
PostSubject: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:29 am

I stole this link from James Lincoln Warren's excellent column today on www.criminalbrief.com. Check this link to learn why some people, even professional readers, are having difficulty reading today.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 am

Dear Dick,
Great article.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:49 am

That guy hasn't stopped reading. He's just reading non-book stuff. Priorities change as we get older, and that includes our choice of reading material.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 7:01 am

LC wrote:
That guy hasn't stopped reading. He's just reading non-book stuff. Priorities change as we get older, and that includes our choice of reading material.

And our choices are based on the purpose for our reading. I think that's what the author meant, that reading as contemplation gets harder when there are so many stimuli to distract us. People get so caught up in "doing," they can't relax and enjoy just "being," which is what contemplative reading is all about.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 am

Good analysis, Ann

I do my best reading on a plane.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 am

Ann, his article assumes lots of people did lots of contemplative reading in the first place. Can that be proven and quantified?

I think with the advent of the internet, people are doing more reading than ever before. Articles like his assume that all the people who are reading Twitter and social networking sites would be reading War and Peace if those sites didn't exist. I think they'd just be watching TV.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 am

Many people do not even know how to read now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 am

Good article.

I know someone who took a box of books to an inpatient treatment program thirty years ago. Such was the importance of reading and books to this person.

I read more than I ever have, just not in books. I read articles, emails, about my kids on facebook. I look at photos and listen to words.

I also read the article on criminal brief. I liked where he said things happen to us "willy nilly." That is for sure.

Both articles touch on loss of control, surrender. I have learned the importance of both later in life. I am a victim of "willy nilly" happenings all around me.

Writing to me is taking control, until I get lost in the writing and the words take over and mysteriously appear on my computer as from some other entity or universe.

Carol

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 11:54 am

Writers, readers, and experts. Few writers will ever see the golden city of famous writers. Those of us who do will be remembered far different then we are.

Fifty, one hundred, and more years from today, some expert will write about us, or speak about our greatness in detail.

What a crock of BS that will be. If you of the future find what we have written on this forum, dust it off. For here is the truth. Read the works of William Shakespeare...hold our books high, and whisper,"You were like I am, and I shall be like you are." We were not great. We wrote on the wind. Don't read our stories for pleasure...look for the sub-plot we have hidden in our writing. That is who we where.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 2:58 pm

L.C., the writer of that article is the book editor of the Los Angeles Times. He should know something about the subject and he has to read books.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 7:10 am

Well, if this guy is a newspaper book editor and says he doesn't read books anymore, seems like he ought to find a new job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Some People Don't Read   Why Some People Don't Read Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Some People Don't Read
Page 1 of 1