Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

What's your best advice for new writers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:55 am

I don't know about book whirl, but one of the problems I have with some of the sites set up for book promotion comes from seeing that the majority of the people there are writers.

Basically, a group of starving writers all trying to sell their books to each other doesn't end up in a lot of sales.

Maybe I'm missing something about such sites.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am

Malcolm wrote:
I don't know about book whirl, but one of the problems I have with some of the sites set up for book promotion comes from seeing that the majority of the people there are writers.

Basically, a group of starving writers all trying to sell their books to each other doesn't end up in a lot of sales.

Maybe I'm missing something about such sites.

Malcolm

Your not.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10354
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Precisely, Malcolm.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Sat May 15, 2010 9:23 am

I would respond to the question with a question:

Do you seek advice on how to write or on how to get published?

How to write: I am often asked by young jazz musicians how one learns to improvise. My answer is, study, listen, practice, and play for the public and your peers. A similar approach should work for writing. Study the craft, read the works of others, write as much as you can, and seek unbiased criticism.

How to get published: I am often asked by young jazz musicians how to get paying gigs. The answer is, there ain't no paying gigs. Fortunately, writers can find opportunities. Most of them don't pay squat.

There are five known ways to get published. None of them work.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Sat May 15, 2010 9:27 am

About being a gravedigger. My brother-in-law is the gravedigger (among other enterprises) in a small town. His two sons assist him. When his mother, my mother-in-law, died, his two sons were too grief-stricken (goldbricking) to assist. So I helped him.

When I returned to the farm my teenaged granddaughter asked how I got so dirty. I said, "I helped Uncle Jimmy dig Grammy's grave." She looked puzzled and asked, "Don't we have people to do that for us?"

Podiatry: I went to the podiatrist last week. He promised he'd have me walking by the end of the day. He did. He took my car.

Pa-dump!
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Sat May 15, 2010 10:10 am

Quote :
There are five known ways to get published. None of them work.
To which I would add, the odds against winning the lottery are something like a bazillion to one. But if you don't buy a ticket, the odds are infinity to one.
Back to top Go down
author@g

PostSubject: Advice   Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:16 pm

I am a new author.  My first novel "Colt O'Brien Sees the Light" was recently published.

I have tips I have gleaned from my experience.

1. Join or create a writing group. The group I am in is about support as opposed to hard criticism. Writing can be a lonely activity.

2. Keep writing. Get in the habit of writing consistently. I know from experience that stopping to take a break can really stop your momentum.

3. Write more than you think you can.  I started with a short story and jumped to a book. The jury is out on how good it is but as least I completed it.

4. Have a goal. Some people are open-ended and can float from thing to thing.  Most of us need a goal.

5. Toughen that skin. We all do a lot of self-criticism already. What comes from others is subjective.  If you can take something from it, great.  But don't let the bad or indifferent stuff stop you from writing.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
carsun1000

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Shelagh wrote:
What I would say on a radio talk show and what I think are not necessarily the same thing. In fact, they are not.

I would probably say, "Stick at it and don't give up until you succeed."

I think the best advice I could give would be: don't expect others to be as interested in your stories as you are in writing them. Find out everything you possible can about what agents/publishers are looking for and write something they want to buy.

Even though I have only published my first book, I have written several chapters of several untitled novels. The positive thing about my writing is that the whole book is laid out in my mind like a movie. I pick popular actors in my mind to play it out and I found out that that has helped me a lot. you also have to know your story from the begining to the end even before you start to write, unless you want to be stuck. I hope this will help someone in writing their next novel.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:22 pm

I have signed with Suite101.com and Examiner.com as a freelance writer. So far, my earnings are $.01 (maybe $.02 by now) because starting requires building a following and I'm off to a slow start.

Why bother? I am getting a college education in writing what is marketable from titles to Search Engine Optimization to research to grammar and syntax and every aspect of the writing process. I get to practice my learning on a live audience with a few paragraphs at a time about a subject familiar to me.

Just the application process highlights strengths and weaknesses as a writer. Additionally, editors critique the articles from an improvement (not negative) next time perspective. It has been a very educational and learning experience with nothing but positive results. My article on Kingston Bakery appeared first at www.suite101.com and was picked up and led to a whole new article in the New York Daily News.

It's not a get rich quick scheme. It's an education with some people actually earning a living.

Another good idea is to enter contests. They are humbling, but winning is a great pat on the back and often more monetary return than actually publishing a story.

I agree with the writing and critique groups - absolutely the best way to go.

P.S. If you sign up with Suite101 or Examiner, please say D. K. Christi sent you as there is a referral bonus :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Alexandermerow
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:04 am

I would say: "Just write and don`t think too much about the opinions of others!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.alexander-merow.de.tl
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:25 am

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:07 pm

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Actually, self-publishing is becoming more acceptable. Rather than judging the publisher, I would recommend looking at the reviews and reading a sample of the book to judge its quality.

I just finished reading The Cuban Affair, published by the author. It was a great read! It's only aspiring writers who really care about the publisher and the publisher of someone else's books, if a book is recommended reading, I don't ask who published it, just who wrote it.

The advice from this writer was quite good and presented well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
melLkinder
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm

If you have a story you are dying to tell, don't be bogged down by worries of failure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.melaniekinder.com
CSO

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-13

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:56 am

If you're going to use weapons of some sort in your story, make sure they exist. It adds a certain reality to the story.
Back to top Go down
David Griffiths

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 am

Plan on self-publishing. Keep up with technology that pertains to publishing. Learn how to format ebooks. If you write non-fiction, learn how to find neglected niches, how to optimize titles, descriptions, and other metadata for search engines. Learn the right way to use social media: serve your fans and followers, and harm no one.

Get your feet wet. Publish on Kindle as soon as you can. Price at $2.99 and enjoy 70 percent commission.
Back to top Go down
http://www.self-publishing-solutions.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your best advice for new writers?   

Back to top Go down

What's your best advice for new writers?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Authors-
Jump to: