Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Poetry Publishing Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Poetry Publishing Question Empty
PostSubject: Poetry Publishing Question   Poetry Publishing Question EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 am

If I publish a poem in a magazine, or I am paid for a poem, what happens if I want to publish that poem in my own book? Do I no longer have rights? Do they own the poem now? Do I need to get permission from them? Please tell me what usually happens.

Also, if I wanted to publish someone's poem in my book as part of a collection, does that poet get part of the profits?
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Poetry Publishing Question   Poetry Publishing Question EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 am

Usually, your poem in a magazine is being sold under something like first rights or first serial rights or first North American rights, meaning that the magazine's rights probably expire with the publication of the issue you're in.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Poetry Publishing Question   Poetry Publishing Question EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 am

Thank you for the input, Malcolm and Marie. This question was asked of me by someone in a critique group and I didn't have an answer. As always I get good information from this forum.

Thanks again! I will pass it on!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poetry Publishing Question   Poetry Publishing Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Poetry Publishing Question
Page 1 of 1