Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Are you your own agent?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Are you your own agent? Empty
PostSubject: Are you your own agent?   Are you your own agent? EmptySun May 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Forum after forum, I have read complaints about publishers. One forum has an ongoing name calling about one publisher. (name withheld.) The thread claims to be warning new writers about said publisher...warnings are good, but, the thread has led many new writers into calling the publisher a scam.(crook.) If called to prove what has been posted (scam) they would have to prove their claim, or lose...
Many of the publishers who will, and are doing harm to writers...but, they are doing it within the law.
The best protection against a bad publisher, is NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITHOUT AN AGENT...and yes I know, there are some bad agents...NEVER PAY AN AGENT MONEY. GOOD AGENTS DON"T ASK FOR MONEY.

One more time: NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITHOUT AN AGENT. THEY ARE LIKE BOOK ATTORNEYS.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Are you your own agent?   Are you your own agent? EmptySun May 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Ahhh? Hmmm? Let me think, let me think? Wish I had more fingers and toes...Ahhh? What was the question again?
Oh yeah, agent or property attorney...hmmm?
How many guesses do I have, one or two? Whisper in my ear. Give me a hint kid.

property attorney
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Are you your own agent?   Are you your own agent? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:02 pm

"Common sense" is pretty much worthless in evaluating a contract, actually.And an attorney might spot the technicality of it all, but know nothing of common practice in the field, normal percentage and advances, whether of not it's a good idea to cede certain rights, etc.And if they say, pass on the contract  or try to get this amended, then what do you do?It's only natural for a publisher to try to get away with a little more "house edge" if they know the author has no representation (not that many sign unagented authors) and the author will have no idea that's happening.  Not will most attorneys...that's not their line of work.A good agent earns their fees.  For the life of the book and your career.  AND, ideally, the agent also makes sales.  
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Are you your own agent?   Are you your own agent? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:24 pm

That is true...Agents know how to keep rights in the hands of their authors. Now let me see, hmmm, where is my list of agents in NEW YORK CITY?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Are you your own agent?   Are you your own agent? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:30 pm

I have three commercial contracts, no agent. I wouldn't call myself my own agent, though, just someone too lazy to find one. I'm sure I could have benefited from one.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Are you your own agent?   Are you your own agent? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes. I am also an attorney. I've signed eight contracts with traditional publishers without an agent and do not believe that an agent would have made enough of a difference in negotiating the book contracts to justify their cost. If I were trying to find a publisher for a mass market novel, however, I would certainly use an agent as many of the remaining traditional imprints won't read manuscripts from unagented authors as a general rule. Agents can be an invaluable resource, but as is true of lawyers, physicians, home builders and auto mechanics, they come in a wide range of competencies and a bad one is much worse than not having one at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you your own agent?   Are you your own agent? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you your own agent?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Writing and Publishing :: Publishers-
Jump to: