Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Non fiction authors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm

The comments from W Lane Rogers and Abe F. March is welcome but they are wrong. I have wrote, published and am new to publishing. To not reveal what I have written is not anybody's concern.

It is interesting that you find accounting easier than book writing Alice.

I enjoy the process and want to write more. But not so easy is it. What to write next, and are we good enough to write that topic and so on.

But I have time I guess, because am much younger than you lot! (sorry had to include that) haha

Also just incase you may think am a teen, am not nor do I think am a spring chicken. But from the pictures, I could be your son.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:13 pm

Thank you. It is clear you are not an Englsh teacher, a Pulitzer prize winner or my son.

You could not be my son for the simple reason that I am not married to your father.

Just what my age has to do wth your book writing is unclear, but if you are so young--why not do something that suits you better?

Just an idea!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:00 pm

It was just a comment on the pictures on here. Sorry. (did not mean to offend)
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:02 pm

builder wrote: ...I have wrote, published and....

Sure thing, builder.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Well done to your son Marie. I am in my late twenties, but some say I look many years younger. Yes of course you have time. Book writing is a new thing to me (only worked on one book) and now thinking back. The work was pretty hard (research and so on) writing and keeping to the deadline and that. But was enjoyable.

And when it comes to pay, will just have to see. Although the time taken and the effort it took, could all just have been a waste of time. But I hope not.

I want to write more. I know some writers here have partners and family to support their writing goals, by offering encouragement and understanding. Unfortuantely I don't get that kind of support. Gets me down sometimes. But again, I will just have to see. I hope I can turn round one day and tell them it was worth it.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:30 pm

Builder,

You need career counseling I am not joking here. They will give you aptitude tests and direct you to a more lucrative and satisfying occupation.

Sometimes what we want to be does not match our abilites.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 am

Why do you say that?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12385
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:46 am

It would be easier to judge if writing is a career for you if you posted a link to your book on Amazon or any other website.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ęShelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:54 am

Sorry..but I did not know that people here judged other people on their suitability to be a writer.

Shelagh, you still want to know what I wrote. Ok let me do some explaining.

I do not want to reveal my book because my publisher that has editors, co workers and so on may view this forum. I may or may not in the future talk about experiences with my publisher (good or bad) and some other things. Also, I am new to publishing ok.

So maybe am introverted, shy. I just don't see why I have to expose myself.

Maybe after some time passes (don't ask me how long) when I feel more confident, and after knowing if it was worth writing, I will reveal my title.

Others on the forum (their choice of course) place their picture on here, link to their websites books etc. And yes, I have been on those links, checked out their books, rankings on amazon. After all, thats why they put them there. I believe some have been writing for some time. I have not. So please respect my own choice and privacy.

Hope this is aright with you.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:27 am

builder, you have an unusual user name. Does it refer to you "day job," by any chance?

Just curious.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:10 am

I am not a builder by trade. Just a name I chose for this forum.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:43 am

I see no point in having a conversation with, or listening to, someone when you don't know who the other person happens to be. Anonymous comments are meaningless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:29 am

That's easily solved Dick. What do you want to know? My interests, marital status, number of children, religious beliefs, my thoughts on life and so on. I can tell you lots about myself but I just won't reveal my work. Why won't I, see my post above.

So I can tell you almost anything you want so that you know who you are talking to. I hope this is ok people.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:30 am

I may be wrong, Builder, but, from the questions you asked about Amazon rankings, I think you feel that more books are being sold than your publisher is stating in royalty slips. Was your first royalty cheque much lower than you expected?

Also, you are interested in writing non-fiction and, instead of writing a book from experience (which would not sell) you are considering writing a book that would stand a better chance of selling on a subject outside of your field of expertise. It may make sound business sense to write a book on a topic of current interest but it would be difficult to sell to a publisher if you lacked the right credentials to write the book!

Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:48 am

I think you have got it wrong Shelagh. Or I may have caused some misunderstanding from previous posts, ok. I have wrote a book on something I know about. (I hope this clear)

I would like to write another book (again it is on something I know about) But a different subject from first book.

And about the amazon rankings. No I have not received royalties yet. Due early next year.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 am

Royalties are usually paid twice yearly (February and August).

"I have wrote a book ..."

You have written this twice. It is grammatically incorrect. Lane highlighted it but you have repeated the mistake. It should be "I have written a book."

Is English your first language? Did you hire an editor for your book? Why are you so concerned about your Amazon ranking? Dick is right about your desire to remain anonymous; it makes communication awkward. It is like talking to someone without any eye contact. Uncomfortable.

Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 am

Anonymity breeds suspicion. When one is suspicious, credibility is hard to achieve.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:07 pm

Thankyou for that Shelagh. I speak two languages. An editor was used by the publisher. This publisher pays once a year.

Why am I concerned about my ranking? Most people are concerned about how their book is doing.

And I can reveal things about myself. Just ask. I just won't reveal my work. What's the big deal anyway, as you all know, am no great writer.

Am just some guy who wants to know a little more about publishing. I came here to listen to you, as am no expert, so my work is no concern. Am a pupil here. If thats ok.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Fri May 01, 2009 10:37 am

builder wrote: Am a pupil here.

Lesson no. 1: anyonymity is usually synonomous with b.s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Fri May 01, 2009 11:09 am

builder wrote:
Why do you say that?

Because writing is a gift you did not receive--it was delivered to Dick Stodghill and W Lane Rogers.

Do not feel bad--I was left out also!
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Fri May 01, 2009 4:05 pm

I still won't reveal my work Rogers. It really is no hot topic and no big deal. I will be checking on some of the authors on here and see how good they are. I am new to the publishing world. Why, Is there someone famous on here, I don't know about??

Alice, you have told us you have written. What was the book about?

It does take a great deal of talent to write fiction. Much more than non fiction. It is a myth, that it requires talent or great skills to write non fiction. I have read the non fiction work of some famous authors. Their writing style and ability, I wouldn't even rate them an average. (Really some are quite bad)
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Fri May 01, 2009 5:19 pm

Builder,

Check my signature line-- it's all there.
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 am

I'm a nonfiction writer. I believe it is possible to write a book on a subject you know nothing about, but by the time you are ready to write the book you should be an expert. So, during the research process for the book, you become an expert.

Also, you need some experience in the subject I believe. If you are going to write a book on business, unless you have started and run one yourself, I don't know how useful a book on running one would be. A resource guide perhaps, but a book requires slightly more. It requires the insight of the author into the subject matter. This is where the expert part comes in.

One more note: notoriety or being famous has nothing really to do with one's writing ability. It has to do with promotions and who you know.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Sat May 02, 2009 8:40 am

I agree, it is possible to write on a subject we know nothing about and from the research, we get an advanced degree in the subject. This is what Dan Poynter says. The research that is done makes us an expert. But as you said Flash Gordon, one does need some experience in the subject their writing about.

I assume most people here have heard of Poynter. I have never read his books (I don't want to jump out of planes) but as people here would probably know, he is a leading guru in publishing and I have learnt a lot from him. He is really good and direct as he states that most writers are introverts and that they don't want to go out promoting and meeting people. And he has also said to stay in one area of non fiction. I think all his books are on parachutes.

But really anybody can write non fiction, if they love it enough. That is why people who hardly read or write, can bring a book out because something happened in their life. And that is why even teenagers can produce a book. Ask them to do fiction, won't be so easy.

I like non fiction and find fiction hard to read.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   Sat May 02, 2009 9:00 am

There is a genre we have discussed here called "creative nonfiction." Even in writing nonfiction, the author has to write it in such a way that the reader will want to keep reading. You just can't write a report.

You are very mysterious, builder. Sometimes I think you want to be so disguised that you go back in your posts and put in "wrote" where you previously had "written" and other grammar errors that could not possibly work in a nonfiction or fiction book that is selling as well as you say yours is selling.

Why the disguise?

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non fiction authors   

Back to top Go down

Non fiction authors
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Authors-